PDA

View Full Version : Shooting yourself at the hospital

TomHynes
02-12-2009, 8:48 PM
If you are going to shoot yourself in the leg, the hospital cafeteria is probably a pretty good place to do it.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/18683205/detail.html#http://

Hospital Visitor Accidentally Shoots Himself

Police: Man Reached In Pocket To Get Money, Grabbed Gun Instead

POSTED: 12:50 pm MST February 10, 2009
UPDATED: 5:29 pm MST February 10, 2009

LAFAYETTE, Colo. -- A visitor at Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center in Lafayette accidentally shot himself with his own weapon when he reached into his pocket for his wallet.
Police said the incident occurred around noon in the hospital cafeteria.
Steve Tapp, 59, was paying for his food when he reached into his right pants pocket and accidentally pulled the trigger to his .32-caliber semi-automatic Kel-Tec brand pistol, Lafayette police Cmdr. Mark Battersby said.

The gun was still in his pants pocket when the bullet struck him in the right thigh.
Hospital security officers followed Tapp to the men's restroom, where he was disarmed, and quickly taken to the hospital's emergency room for treatment.
Lafayette police investigators also took Tapp into custody on a charge of unlawfully carrying a weapon, prohibited use of a weapon and reckless endangerment. The Thornton resident told investigators that he always carries the gun with him but does not have a concealed carry permit, Battersby said.
"According to Tapp, he had filled out the necessary paperwork to apply for the permit, but had not submitted his application," Battersby said.
When the gun was fired, the cafeteria was busy with the lunchtime crowd.
"There were many people in the area that heard the gunshot, but most were unaware of what had happened. After the gun discharged, Tapp calmly walked away from the area to the restroom, and the weapon remained in his pocket," Battersby said.
"No other guests in the cafeteria were hurt," said hospital spokeswoman Kim Kobel. "A full investigation is under way to understand what happened and to ensure the safety of our patients, visitors and staff."
Tapp was at the hospital visiting family members.
He was discharged after he was issued three state misdemeanor summons and ordered to return to Boulder County court on April 1.

EBR Works
02-12-2009, 8:50 PM
Idiot! :kest:

rumble phish
02-12-2009, 8:52 PM
I don't think he'll get that permit now :laugh:

I wonder if he hangs out with Plexico?

joaoalegre
02-12-2009, 9:41 PM
I don't think he'll get that permit now :laugh:

I wonder if he hangs out with Plexico?

But it's not as bad, though.
He got misdeameanors, not felonies had that happened in the Soviet People's Republik of Kalifornia.

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2009, 9:42 PM
This could not have happened. All hospitals that I know of are gun free zones.

BigDogatPlay
02-12-2009, 9:57 PM
Not like proof was needed, but this shows once again that it is impossible to legislate stupidity.

He filled out the paperwork but didn't submit it....... unbelievable.

Echidin
02-12-2009, 10:41 PM
This could not have happened. All hospitals that I know of are gun free zones.

I don't follow. Are you implying all hospitals that you know of are gun free zones to citizens or is that including LEO as well? The reason I ask is because I have frequently seen corrections officers, FBI, private investigators and other LE agencies at the hospital I work at and never have I seen them without their sidearms while within the hospital walls.