PDA

View Full Version : I sent a letter to Ahnold today

handirifle
02-12-2009, 7:47 PM
I got an idea today and acted on it. If this state (california) is hurting so bad, why not offer a way to help the budget crisis by temporary repealing the Ridley Act (Condor Lead Ban) until the crisis is over.

Anyway, it was an idea, and like I said, I acted on it. Here is what I wrote up and sent. If you like it, feel free to copy and paste it, if not than don't, or write your own.

My thought was that if it is listed as a temp repeal, it might be an easier sell, and a chance for hunters to actually afford to hunt for a while, even if the money isn't coming in.

Here's the email link on his site http://gov.ca.gov/interact, and here is my letter. If enough of us act on this he might actually consider it.

Honorable Governor Schwarzenegger,

A little over a year ago, you signed the Ridley-Tree Condor Preservation Act, also known as Assembly Bill 821, into law. This Act, banned the use of lead bullets, in the "traditional" California Condor range. It also did a lot more than that.

As I'm sure you are well aware of the state of the California, and national economy, and the unemployment rate, that has already exceeded 9% and is expected to climb even higher. These factors, along with the loss of revenue to the state from lost income tax, lost sales tax, and lost property taxes, due to the vast number of repossessions in the state of California, has caused a horrendous budget crisis in this state.

In addition, it is my understanding that state sales tax will soon increase by 1%, gasoline tax will increase by twenty cents on the gallon, and auto registration fees will double. All of these things combined have cost Californians dearly.

The Ridley-Tree Condor Preservation Act, has also cost California hunters, and has done so both unfairly, and unnecessarily. The unfair part was due to incomplete and inaccurate science data being used by anti gun and anti hunting groups calling themselves, conservationists. They circumvented the normal process of allowing the California fish and Game Commission, to do its own regulating. The results were costly, both for the state and Californians.

We were told there was only a few dollars difference between ammunition loaded with lead based bullets, and ammunition loaded with lead free bullets. That was blatantly false.

The cost of lead free ammunition is, in most cases, double the cost of lead based ammunition. In many cases, it's even higher. This has cost stores that sell ammunition, a loss of revenue, since they still stock lead based ammunition. The non lead ammunition is hard to get in many cases, and when they do have it, they sell less of it. This also costs the state in loss of sales tax and loss of income revenue due to hunting license sales. I have not purchased a hunting license in California since the ban, and neither have many others. It's simply just too expensive to hunt here, since in order to become an effective hunter, you need to practice with the ammunition you will hunt with, and that is just too expensive. I can and do hunt in states that do not ban lead based ammunition.

The department of Fish and game relies on revenue from license sales, to carry out its mission. A loss of this revenue will cost the very animals they are trying to help in California, since the funds will not be there for needed programs. In addition, it will be very costly to enforce this law, since the procedure is for questionable bullets to be tested in a laboratory. This costs in terms of time, and resources, that they will not have. In the end, there will be layoffs in the Department of Fish and Game, due to this lost income.

What I propose, is for you, to place the Ridley-Tree Condor Preservation Act, on temporary repeal, for a period of four (4) years, or until such time as the California economy has mended itself.

This will bring back some much needed revenue into many areas of the California economy, and still allow California hunters the opportunity to still enjoy the many hunting possibilities, this state has to offer.

I urge you to strongly consider this proposal. This is not a ploy to get rid of the Ridley Act, but rather give Californians a chance to recover from this devastation in our economy.

When you first took office, you did as promised, and repealed the excessive auto registration fees. The change in the economy has caused this to come back to us, but repealing the Ridley act, will save California, and Californians, money we need.

Thank you for your time.