PDA

View Full Version : DUI question

cj1026
02-12-2009, 4:18 PM
Hey guys just a quick question. Will a 6 year old DUI with un-paid fines keep a person from being able to legally purchase a hand gun?

tyrist
02-12-2009, 4:20 PM
Hey guys just a quick question. Will a 6 year old DUI with un-paid fines keep a person from being able to legally purchase a hand gun?

Did it become a warrant? Are you still on probation?

cj1026
02-12-2009, 4:26 PM
I don't know the details. My sister-in-law's boyfriend went and started DROS Tuesday on a hand gun so it came up. He said he doesn't have a warrent. But he can't get a drivers license, doesn't have a on the job books because he doesn't want the state to know were he is or garnish his wages. Thats about the most I know. Real stand up guy!

TonyM
02-12-2009, 4:32 PM
I don't know the details. My sister-in-law's boyfriend went and started DROS Tuesday on a hand gun so it came up. He said he doesn't have a warrent. But he can't get a drivers license, doesn't have a on the job books because he doesn't want the state to know were he is or garnish his wages. Thats about the most I know. Real stand up guy!

If he never took care of the fines and DMV forms, then I'm going to guess his license status is still "Suspended". This alone has been enough in the past for people to get a DROS rejection.... Even when their fees were paid.

This loser owes some California county some money and probably time in jail, so I'm going to bet he gets a denial, if not a visit from the Sheriff now that they should know where to find him (address on the DROS, or... in 10 days at the gun shop).

I'd tell him to pay his fines before buying items he doesn't "need".

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 4:33 PM
I'd tell him to pay his fines before buying items he doesn't "need".
He needs to pay the fine but I would argue that a firearm for protection is a need.

cj1026
02-12-2009, 4:34 PM
I rather see him try, fail and get locked up. :thumbsup:

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 4:35 PM
I rather see him try, fail and get locked up. :thumbsup:
Unless he is a felon he is not breaking the law by attempting to purchase a gun (at least no law that I know of)

TonyM
02-12-2009, 4:36 PM
He needs to pay the fine but I would argue that a firearm for protection is a need.

As the story is told, he's a fugitive from justice, he needs to pay his debt first and foremost. He won't need the gun while in county doing 30 days straight to make up his lost time. ;)

cj1026
02-12-2009, 4:38 PM
Like I said this is all I know about the situation. What I do know about him is he is a dirt bag and he usually sugar coats things.

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 4:38 PM
As the story is told, he's a fugitive from justice, he needs to pay his debt first and foremost. He won't need the gun while in county doing 30 days straight to make up his lost time. ;)
Unpaid fines make you a fugitive from justice ?

TonyM
02-12-2009, 4:39 PM

Failure to appear.

Yes.

Have you had a DUI? There are many checks in the process that you promise to keep, or be thrown in jail.

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 4:40 PM
Failure to appear.

Yes.

Have you had a DUI? There are many checks in the process that you promise to keep, or be thrown in jail.
actually I have
fine was only 75 bucks though so I paid the same day

TonyM
02-12-2009, 4:44 PM
actually I have

I'd be interested to know where and when this was.

In Santa Clara County in 1995 the minimum with a 0.08% BAC was $1376 to the court, $5xx to the class, and 5 weekends of Weekend Work at the Main jail. Then SR-22 Filing and DMV fees to get the license back. All told, just about $2000 give or take a buck or five.

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 4:45 PM
I'd be interested to know where and when this was.

In Santa Clara County in 1995 the minimum with a 0.08% BAC was $1376 to the court, $5xx to the class, and 5 weekends of Weekend Work at the Main jail. Then SR-22 Filing and DMV fees to get the license back. All told, just about $2000 give or take a buck or five.
Alameda county 1997/1998

I was 16 at the time and only blew a .06 but due to my age earned a dui

tyrist
02-12-2009, 4:46 PM

Chances are he might have a warrant.

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 4:46 PM
Chances are he might have a warrant.
This is true

Codelphious
02-12-2009, 5:28 PM
Failure to appear.

Yes.

Maybe the guy appeared for the hearing, was convicted and fined $x, but never wrote the check, or only paid in part.

While I'm sure in some jurisdictions that may warrant a ... err, warrant... simply not paying a fine does not make you a fugitive. What makes you a fugitive is having a warrant and not appearing.

Not paying fines for a DUI would definitely bar you from (re)obtaining your driver's license, though... and probably a number of other things. Should be fine to purchase a firearm (warrant not permitting, that is).

Fjold
02-12-2009, 6:04 PM
Let's see, outstanding fines from DUI and working illegally off the books.

What a fine upstanding citizen, I'm sure that he'd be a safe and responsible gun owner.

SteveH
02-12-2009, 6:08 PM
If you cant handle the program take the straight time. People always complain about the payments, classes, probation terms. But nobody forces anyone to take them. You can tell the judge you would prefer to do the straight time and most judges will do so without complaint.

cj1026
02-12-2009, 6:08 PM
Let's see, outstanding fines from DUI and working illegally off the books.

What a fine upstanding citizen, I'm sure that he'd be a safe and responsible gun owner.

Yeah don't even get me started. I could go on for hours.

YoungGun2
02-12-2009, 6:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1026

A six year old with a DUI? That is just bad parenting. That kid shouldn't be drinking or driving at his age, let alone drinking and driving.

Man the gun haters are going to have a field day over this driking, driving, Guns, kids, ,.......o my:detective:

darksands
02-12-2009, 6:33 PM
Alameda county 1997/1998

I was 16 at the time and only blew a .06 but due to my age earned a dui

Once you turned 18, those charges go away from record IIRC.

ZRX61
02-12-2009, 9:24 PM
He still doesn't have a licence after 6 years? did he run over the DA's mom? (this actually happened in Valencia last year..)

MP301
02-14-2009, 5:39 PM
actually I have

What year was that?!?!? I hear that these fines and classes and this and that are around the $3000 to $4000 range these days!

Steve G
02-14-2009, 5:45 PM

I didn't think before I posted, but I will next time.

EDITED -leelaw

GrayWolf09
02-14-2009, 6:37 PM
Let's see DUI, failure to appear, afraid to have wages garnished, probably for failure to pay child support. Maybe it would be a good idea for your sister-in-law to think about getting a new boyfriend.:thumbsup:

sorensen440
02-14-2009, 6:52 PM
What year was that?!?!? I hear that these fines and classes and this and that are around the $3000 to $4000 range these days!
They were in those days as well but I only blew a .06 (underage the limit is zero)

SJgunguy24
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
If you cant handle the program take the straight time. People always complain about the payments, classes, probation terms. But nobody forces anyone to take them. You can tell the judge you would prefer to do the straight time and most judges will do so without complaint.

This is wrong,for the most part. Most judges don't let you walk away without a fine. They will let you do jail time instead of weekend work. Now the classes are for the DMV. In the end the DMV has control over your license.

As for this guy, if he has F.T.A. than he may or may not have a warrant. He should find out first but sounds like it's too late for that. As for the D.R.O.S. if he has a warrant he will be denied. He may have gone to court done his time and just not paid the fine. S*** happens you never know,but info from the OP well.....I don't judge. If it's just the fine he should be OK, if F.T.A. also......he needs to get this cleared up.

E Pluribus Unum
02-15-2009, 2:19 AM
Santa Maria County issued a bench warrant on me for a $150 speeding violation.

nicki
02-15-2009, 2:34 AM
This guy committed an offense when he was 16.

If he was 21 and blew a .06, he probably would have been let go rather than being charged with DUI.

Personally I think the DA will work out a deal on something like this.

Let's say he walked into the sheriff right now, surrendered, went to an arraingement and demanded a jury trial. Do you think any DA would want to prosecute this case.

They will spend 10k plus on a jury trial, people on the jury will say the guy is over 21 now, all it takes is to have 1 or 2 people who take the position that they won't convict someone unless their BAC is over .08.

A few years back I was talking with a bailbondsman on this issue and he told me flatout that the Santa Clara DA would not touch a DUI case on someone who is over 21 unless the BAC was .08 or higher because the court system is jammed up and he didn't want to deal with hung juries.

Nicki

TheBundo
02-15-2009, 2:48 AM
This guy committed an offense when he was 16.

If he was 21 and blew a .06, he probably would have been let go rather than being charged with DUI.

Personally I think the DA will work out a deal on something like this.

Let's say he walked into the sheriff right now, surrendered, went to an arraingement and demanded a jury trial. Do you think any DA would want to prosecute this case.

They will spend 10k plus on a jury trial, people on the jury will say the guy is over 21 now, all it takes is to have 1 or 2 people who take the position that they won't convict someone unless their BAC is over .08.

A few years back I was talking with a bailbondsman on this issue and he told me flatout that the Santa Clara DA would not touch a DUI case on someone who is over 21 unless the BAC was .08 or higher because the court system is jammed up and he didn't want to deal with hung juries.

Nicki

You're mixing up posts from 2 different people, the OP & 440

dark45
02-15-2009, 2:54 AM
He still doesn't have a licence after 6 years? did he run over the DA's mom? (this actually happened in Valencia last year..)

sounds like conflict of interest to me, in any case i'd hate to be that guy.

TonyM
02-15-2009, 7:49 AM
Santa Maria County issued a bench warrant on me for a $150 speeding violation.

Yeah, but they saw your sig picture and have been following your history of events here.

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up in a Felony stop with 8 squad cars with the swat team on the way, just for jay-walking. :p

SJgunguy24
02-15-2009, 10:21 AM
Yeah, but they saw your sig picture and have been following your history of events here.

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up in a Felony stop with 8 squad cars with the swat team on the way, just for jay-walking. :p

I got pulled over for tailgating................by 11 cops:eek:

Some yahoo was doing 20mph in a 45 zone and when I finally got around him we were at a stop light. Light turns green, I go and that car I was behind a couple mins earlier hits a red light and pulls me over. A Cadillac Cimarron pulled me over, along with a Dodge minivan,a Toyota pickup,3 black and whites,and 2 motorcycles.

2 hours later they let me go. It seemed like more of a B.S. session for those guys. It was pay day, my tire was going flat,I had to get to school and they took their sweet a** time.

Jay-walking...............now thats a real crime.

DDT
02-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Some yahoo was doing 20mph in a 45 zone and when I finally got around him we were at a stop light. Light turns green, I go and that car I was behind a couple mins earlier hits a red light and pulls me over. A Cadillac Cimarron pulled me over, along with a Dodge minivan,a Toyota pickup,3 black and whites,and 2 motorcycles.

Next time I bet you won't tailgate a car doing 20 in a 45. Just call it in to the police non-emergency line and report a driver going dangerously slow. That way they can ALL have a good laugh.

I got pulled over by 6 CHP officers once. I was splitting traffic on my motorcycle and going a little over the speed limit. (Eventually written up for 10 over) I think the initiating CHP about crapped when I actually pulled over. I think he was hoping for a high speed chase in traffic.

E Pluribus Unum
02-15-2009, 11:55 AM

This was several years ago... my drivers license is squeaky clean now.