PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of selling DPMS AR 20" upper-- Thoughts?

cgseanp1
02-12-2009, 2:51 PM
A few months ago, I got the "BRD" and just had to get an AR15.. well, since getting all the parts and putting it together, it has just sat in my closet. I know I really can not afford to shoot it as much as I would like, due to the rising costs of 223.

Now, I would like to keep my built lower.. I figure, maybe someday, I can get a new upper for it, when the demand has gone down and there aren't lengthy waits.

A few points I am considering are: If the Assualt weapons ban were made permanent(which has already been mentioned by the President), would I always be able to buy another Upper? Of course, price might be a lot higher than it is now.. If the AWB were enacted again, would that ban the sale of all AW parts?

I am planning on taking the money I get for the upper and buying another gun, one I would use more and one that is more affordable to shoot. Maybe a bolt action gun, or another handgun.

It is a complete DPMS 20" upper with a 1 in 10 twist. Nothing fancy, looks to be in new condition, the previous owner stated it was only shot around 80 times. Very similiar ones are selling on gunbroker for over 600.

What do you guys think???

Maybe this will fit better in the rifle section.. If so, mods please move. Thanks;)

Norcalkid
02-12-2009, 3:09 PM
It’s just parts so my guess is that you will be able to buy another. If it was me I would just throw it in the safe. Unless you need the money for something else why sell it. If it comes to my money sitting in the bank or in a gun I choose the gun. On the other hand if you need the money then it’s a decision that only you can make.

uxo2
02-12-2009, 3:14 PM
Why sell it if you dont need the cash...
Hold on to it..
I figure, maybe someday, I can get a new upper for it, when the demand has gone down and there aren't lengthy waits.

Do you really belive that is going to happen........

cgseanp1
02-12-2009, 5:18 PM
Why sell it if you dont need the cash...
Hold on to it..
I figure, maybe someday, I can get a new upper for it, when the demand has gone down and there aren't lengthy waits.

Do you really belive that is going to happen........

Well, I don't know if it will happen or not. Some people say the demand may go down, someday. Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the lengthy wait thing, if I wanted one someday, and there was still a wait, then I would just buy one and wait..

Like I mentioned in my original post, one of the reasons I want to sell it is because I want to buy ANOTHER gun, one that I will use more often, and one that I can afford to shoot. I don't need the money to live, but I do need the money if I were to buy another gun..

And, I am keeping the built lower..

cgseanp1
02-13-2009, 6:56 AM
Any other thoughts? You guys arent very helpful:)

technique
02-13-2009, 7:10 AM
Don't worry about not having the ammo now...just keep the gun and pick up ammo off of Zombie corpses when the SHTF...:thumbsup:

jacques
02-13-2009, 7:14 AM
Surely you can make a little profit off that upper now. It is a matter of choice, if you want to switch to a bolt action or other gun. I have always figured I need at least one rifle for a SHTF scenario that may require one. What you would personnally decide for that gun is your decision.

I ended up with 5-guns that would work in a SHTF scenario.

The price of ammo is high, if you do decide to sell it, you may want to think about getting some reloading equipment. Barrels and upper parts are not considered a gun and shouldn't be banned. But it is hard to say what they might do.

Reoading will cut the cost of shooting a lot. Especially if you pick up the brass at the range. When the 'panic' is over, there will be uppers out ther still and the prices will drop.

JohnnyRooks
02-13-2009, 7:18 AM
NEVER would i sell any of my guns nor have plans of selling one. i can afford to sell my boxers, short, t-shirts, pants but not my guns. someday you will regret of selling it.

RobG
02-13-2009, 7:28 AM
Any other thoughts? You guys arent very helpful:)

Yep, give it to me for safe keeping:D

Actually, why not try to trade it for a .22 rimfire upper. Much cheaper ammo and just as much fun to blast. I hate stuff sitting around not being used myself.

uxo2
02-13-2009, 8:10 AM
NEVER would i sell any of my guns nor have plans of selling one. i can afford to sell my boxers, short, t-shirts, pants but not my guns. someday you will regret of selling it.

I thought the same thing...
Then Unemployment....emergency would hit.
But I would never sell my last one

Now A question for the OP.
What kind of gun are you looking for when you sell the upper?
because you might be able to trade it instead.
Maybe to me IF I have what you want :D

Teletiger7
02-13-2009, 8:16 AM
Keep it. Shoot it. Shoot it some more. And then, shoot it.

BossHog
02-13-2009, 8:18 AM
Actually, why not try to trade it for a .22 rimfire upper. Much cheaper ammo and just as much fun to blast.

+1. Great idea.

cgseanp1
02-13-2009, 9:09 AM
+1. Great idea.

This is a good idea. A while ago, I was thinking of buying a 22 upper, but I can't remember the company. I think it was velocity, or vector.. I know it started with a V.. anyone know that website? They were running around 335, if I remember correctly.

cgseanp1
02-14-2009, 8:11 AM
Well I think I am going to run a for sale add. Stand by:)

jla1950
03-02-2009, 10:53 AM
If your looking for a hand gun for a trade. I have a LNIB w/all ***.S&W M&P 40 cal. Full size This gun is black s/s only fire 1x 40rds through it.

Beelzy
03-02-2009, 11:48 AM
Can't afford to shoot .223Rem. ??

That's a problem in itself.

Sell it!!!

I do wonder what caliber this "new" gun will be if the .223 is so prohibitive to
enjoy. :p

-hanko
03-02-2009, 1:40 PM
It is a complete DPMS 20" upper with a 1 in 10 twist. Nothing fancy, looks to be in new condition, the previous owner stated it was only shot around 80 times. Very similiar ones are selling on gunbroker for over 600.

What do you guys think???

Thanks;)
I think there must be some very stupid buyers on g'broker. Take a look at the used FS section on arfcom. That'll get you closer to real market value.

-hanko

cgseanp1
03-02-2009, 2:36 PM
Can't afford to shoot .223Rem. ??

That's a problem in itself.

Sell it!!!

I do wonder what caliber this "new" gun will be if the .223 is so prohibitive to
enjoy. :p

hmm well let's seee... unless you reload, which I DON'T(for now at least), 223 isn't very cheap to shoot.. .30 to .40 cents a round may not seem like a lot, but when you are shooting an AR 15, you don't go out to just shoot a few rounds.. more like a few hundred at a minimum, at least that's what I would want to do. So, for me, spending 100 or more every time I want to go shooting isn't really in my budget. Does that make sense? I have not bought a new gun yet, and when I do, I'm sure the ammo will cost just as much.. Thing is, I'm not going to buy something that you would want to shoot a gazillion rounds in one sitting. I'm thinking about a bolt action gun in either 30-06, 308 or even maybe 300 win mag.. and that ammo definitely isn't cheap.

I think there must be some very stupid buyers on g'broker. Take a look at the used FS section on arfcom. That'll get you closer to real market value.

-hanko

I really don't know what you are getting at, but I sold my upper here very quickly for 600$.. very quickly. Unless you are saying that is underpriced, which I doubt..