PDA

View Full Version : How is Meg Whitman for Gov? Is she Pro 2A?

mecam
02-12-2009, 1:43 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/12/MNCU15SUDJ.DTL&tsp=1

(02-12) 12:30 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- California GOP gubernatorial candidate and former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Thursday argued that she is "very different" from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger and a parade of other wealthy executives who have sought to run the world's eighth-largest economy without previously running for public office.

Whitman blasted the deal to close the state's $42 billion budget gap and said she was "stunned" by the details of the proposal, which includes $14.3 billion in new taxes, $15 billion in spending cuts and $11 billion in new borrowing. If she were a legislator in Sacramento, she said, she would vote against it.

With "the current budget problems that we find ourselves in, I think the legislature and the governor have to be accountable for what has been a really tough situation for the people of California," she told The Chronicle in a telephone interview Thursday. "The legislature and the governor have not done a good job of getting their own house in order."

She said that under current leadership, the state "has done virtually nothing to reduce its own costs," while services to taxpayers are being cut. "Before you put it back on the taxpayers, you've got to get your own house in order," she said.

Just days after announcing her exploratory run for governor, Whitman aimed to differentiate herself from Schwarzenegger and other political novices - including Northwest Airlines executive Al Checchi and GOP financier Bill Simon, both of whom ran for governor - who have chosen the state's highest office as their debut in politics.

"My background is very different from Gov. Schwarzenegger," she said, because as the chief executive at eBay - which has an estimated 246 million users, "I have run a very large organization, balanced a budget, prioritized projects, made trade-offs and fundamentally created jobs."

Her resume, she said, includes "quite a different set of skills" than the former actor and bodybuilder had when he assumed office.

Whitman insisted that in her experience, any "normal" business that has seen the kind of revenue decline experienced in California would "go after head count," meaning she would have supported looking at "doubling the worker furloughs, take a 10 percent reduction in force or salary reductions for constitutional officers," of which there are seven in California.

But asked to detail cuts - as governor she would have a line item veto - the former eBay executive said, "I can't be that specific on it."

Whitman made the comments during an East Coast media tour Thursday. She appeared on the "Today" show Thursday morning and is set to be a guest on Fox News talk show host Glenn Beck's show Friday. She is expected to deliver two major "vision" addresses next week before delivering a keynote address to the state GOP convention next weekend in Sacramento.

Among the other issues that Whitman addressed in the Chronicle interview:

-- On whether she supports abortion rights: "I am pro-choice, and while I would like ... to bring down the number of abortions in America, I don't think we can take choice away from women and their partners and doctors." Whitman also says she supports government funding for abortions, "as long as abortion is legal, it has to be made available to women of all means."

-- On parental consent: "Girls under 16, parental consent should be required." She said she voted in favor of Prop. 4, which would have required notification on abortion and which failed.

-- On whether Sarah Palin helped or hurt John McCain's candidacy: Whitman refused to address the issue. "It was ultimately John McCain's decision, and I supported John McCain for president," she said. "He made the choice that was right for him at the time, and that's what I'll say about that."

-- On if she is a feminist: "I am a big believer in equal rights for all people ... in a level playing field." But she said, "I'm not a big label person."

-- On guns: "I support Second Amendment rights," though she said the assault weapon ban and other restrictions on handguns are "probably the right thing in California." She does not personally own a gun.

-- On whether she would support selling California oil leases for revenue: Whitman sidestepped the matter. "That is an issue I would like to study further." But she said "there has been a host of new technologically that has been developed" to make drilling more environmentally safe, and "given the United States need to get off dependency on foreign oil ... I would just look at that technology."

HunterJim
02-12-2009, 1:53 PM
I don't remember if she was the eBay CEO who kicked guns off their list of "decent merchandise", but she certainly did not change that policy. Her comment on assault weapons and handgun lists shows she does not grok the Second Amendment she professes to support (just like Mr. Obma).

My conclusion is she is an elitist RINO, and should move back to New England.

jim

Liberty1
02-12-2009, 1:53 PM
I thought we were all going to support MoonbeamII (coming to a Governor's Mansion near you)? :hide:

mecam
02-12-2009, 1:59 PM
I thought we were all going to support MoonbeamII (coming to a Governor's Mansion near you)? :hide:

I'll vote for whoever is pro 2A. :thumbsup:

tube_ee
02-12-2009, 2:14 PM
she'll be better at running California than she was at running E-Bay.

--Shannon

IGOTDIRT4U
02-12-2009, 2:17 PM
she'll be better at running California than she was at running E-Bay.

--Shannon

And McCains campaign.

I'm not voting for her. Another RINO.

yellowfin
02-12-2009, 2:21 PM
So let's suppose we don't get Brown in the D column. Do we think such a stance is correctable afterwards, pursue modification of them as a condition of support, or expose the position and twist the knife?

IGOTDIRT4U
02-12-2009, 2:22 PM
So let's suppose we don't get Brown in the D column. Do we think such a stance is correctable afterwards, pursue modification of them as a condition of support, or expose the position and twist the knife?

You can't change the spots on a leopard...

jmzhwells
02-12-2009, 2:31 PM
I dont think she could be worse than the governator we have now.

berto
02-12-2009, 2:42 PM

There's no downside to not evolving for Whitman or any other "2A is about hunting blah blah blah" republican in CA. Many gun owners aren't single issue voters so the election comes down to commonality on non-2A issues. She's either "in bed" with the NRA and has it used against her by the dem. machine and interest groups or she pisses off gun-owners many of whom are republicans and will vote for her regardless of her 2A stance because she's better on other issues than the mayor of SF or LA.

IGOTDIRT4U
02-12-2009, 2:48 PM
Berto, good points, but there is still a known factor in Brown. If he runs.

You oughtta see the looks on people's faces when I tell them I am considering voting for Brown if he runs. These are people that have known me to be a big "R", little "l" for 25-30 years. :43:

ldivinag
02-12-2009, 2:57 PM
i keep saying.. vote for me!!!!!!!!

chicken in every pot!

jrau13
02-12-2009, 3:03 PM
Im not with it but when is the election for Gov.?

IGOTDIRT4U
02-12-2009, 3:17 PM
Im not with it but when is the election for Gov.?

Not soon enough! 2010.

jrau13
02-12-2009, 4:01 PM
Not soon enough! 2010.

You are so right about that. Thanks!