PDA

View Full Version : "Swatting" - Careful about the things that go bump in the night

Fate
02-12-2009, 1:14 PM
Scary stuff...
New 911 fraud is duping SWAT teams

By Jordan Robertson The Associated Press
Posted: 02/01/2009 10:27:57 PM PST

Doug Bates and his wife, Stacey, were in bed around 10 p.m., their 2-year-old daughters asleep in a nearby room. Suddenly they were shaken awake by the wail of police sirens and the rumble of a helicopter above their suburban Southern California home. A criminal must be on the loose, they thought.

Doug Bates got up to lock the doors and grabbed a knife. A beam from a flashlight hit him. He peeked into the backyard. A swarm of police, assault rifles drawn, ordered him out of the house. Bates emerged, frightened and with the knife in his hand, as his wife frantically dialed 911. They were handcuffed and ordered to the ground while officers stormed the house.
The scene of mayhem and carnage the officers expected was nowhere to be found. Neither the Bateses nor the officers knew that they were pawns in a dangerous game being played 1,200 miles away by a teenager bent on terrifying a random family of strangers.

They were victims of a new kind of telephone fraud that exploits a weakness in the way the 911 system handles calls from Internet-based phone services. The attacks - called "swatting" because armed police SWAT teams usually respond - are virtually unstoppable, and an Associated Press investigation found that budget-strapped 911 centers are essentially defenseless without an overhaul of their computer systems.

(rest of article is here: http://www.dailybreeze.com/ci_11607313 )

Ironchef
02-12-2009, 1:16 PM
Weeee! A new fun game for bored teens and malicious losers alike!

theseacow
02-12-2009, 1:20 PM
so how come the cops don't do a little recon on the place first before they go into full gestapo mode?

vrand
02-12-2009, 1:31 PM
so how come the cops don't do a little recon on the place first before they go into full gestapo mode?

ditto

SwissFluCase
02-12-2009, 1:34 PM

+1. In today's world heavy handed tactics such as SWAT assaults and no-knock warrants are going to have to end. A bit more recon and intel gathering is going to have to be a must.

People are going to die otherwise, and more homeowners will shoot at police when more home invaders use the same tactics.

I predict a fundamental change in the architectural design of American houses....

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Cypren
02-12-2009, 1:39 PM
I've read interviews with, and spoken to a few retired LEOs, some of them former SWAT, about the increasing use of paramilitary tactics, no-knock raids and forced entry scenarios in police departments. Every one of them has expressed substantial concern with the candidates currently being recruited for SWAT teams -- many are volunteers, highly aggressive, and essentially looking to play Counter-Strike in real life. Many of these guys want excitement and thrills from paramilitary operations, and some of them may even be looking for an excuse to kill people legally for the power trip. And the police chiefs seem to be going along with the increase in these teams in part because it gets them substantial budgetary increases to buy heavy hardware.

Radley Balko wrote a blog post a while back in which he mentioned he interviewed a retired police chief, who, when setting up a SWAT team in his department, asked for volunteers -- and then quietly disqualified everyone who volunteered. People that want to be in dangerous, unstable situations, he reasoned, were precisely the wrong kind of people to handle them. I wish more CLEOs had his wisdom.

grammaton76
02-12-2009, 1:56 PM
Radley Balko wrote a blog post a while back in which he mentioned he interviewed a retired police chief, who, when setting up a SWAT team in his department, asked for volunteers -- and then quietly disqualified everyone who volunteered. People that want to be in dangerous, unstable situations, he reasoned, were precisely the wrong kind of people to handle them. I wish more CLEOs had his wisdom.

Very neat approach.

Wonder if he disqualified everyone who volunteered, or just the guys who volunteered with "I wanna go! YEAH!" as opposed to, "If you're going to do this, it's probably better for the dept that I be on it than that the guy who can't even make qualifications be on it"...

SwissFluCase
02-12-2009, 1:58 PM

Funny... I look at politicians the same way.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Piper
02-12-2009, 2:37 PM
I believe we should identify this kind of mentality as "Tackleberry Syndrome".

djleisure
02-12-2009, 3:06 PM
:D awesome.

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 3:08 PM
Careful anytime you question any tactics of law enforcement on here you will be accused of "cop bashing"

vrand
02-12-2009, 3:34 PM

"Police Academy"

"Tackleberry Syndrome" :D

1911su16b870
02-12-2009, 4:54 PM
http://shinymedia.headshift.com/images/photos/uncategorized/tackleberry.jpg

:D largest google image pic I could find :D

Harrison_Bergeron
02-12-2009, 5:19 PM
I was read a quote in High School by one of the founding fathers that said that that was how the system was intended to be, we have the nomination system because no one should want the job.

Funny... I look at politicians the same way.

Regards,

SwissFluCase