PDA

View Full Version : Calironia Legal BAR

nikonpledge
02-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Are there any Califonia Legal BARs?

ke6guj
02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I would think that just about any semi-auto BAR with a regular stock would be legal, as long as it didn't have a flash-hider installed. The pistol-gripped versions would need to be converted to fixed-mag somehow.

CAL.BAR
02-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Are there any Califonia Legal BARs?

Yes - I have one. Quite a hunk of firepower.
PM me if you're ever in South OC and want to hit the range.

dfletcher
02-12-2009, 1:17 PM
Yes - I have one. Quite a hunk of firepower.
PM me if you're ever in South OC and want to hit the range.

Are thay at all accurate or is it just a matter of lots of firepower? I still have a half dozen 20 round BAR mags just waiting for the gun. If my HS sells at Contra Cost Collectibles & they still have their BAR in stock, off it goes with me.

thefifthspeed
02-12-2009, 3:25 PM
Are thay at all accurate or is it just a matter of lots of firepower? I still have a half dozen 20 round BAR mags just waiting for the gun. If my HS sells at Contra Cost Collectibles & they still have their BAR in stock, off it goes with me.

If you ever come down to the central valley you can shoot my BAR with your mags. I shoot mine about as accurate as my Garand so I would say they are both accurate and big on firepower

I would think that just about any semi-auto BAR with a regular stock would be legal, as long as it didn't have a flash-hider installed. The pistol-gripped versions would need to be converted to fixed-mag somehow.

If you don't have the FH installed part of the front sight falls off. I turned my FH into a muzzle break.

uzigalil
02-12-2009, 3:30 PM
Ive never seen a pistol gripped Bar

dfletcher
02-12-2009, 3:43 PM

Me neither - but it probably would have been a better way to go, more comfortable. Then again, Kirby (or was it Littlejohn) wouldn't have fired the damn thing sideways, right? ;)

ke6guj
02-12-2009, 4:25 PM

Talking about the Monitor version and the FN type D version that was commonly available as a parts kit recently.

Max-the-Silent
02-12-2009, 5:26 PM
The only legal semi-BAR that is available is the OOW 1918A3 - leave the bipod/flashider off and you're good to go.

The pistol grip trigger housings from a Monitor or D will not fit the semi receiver.

A word of caution, just for the record.

Canada at one time had a much wider availability of semi auto versions of military full auto firearms than the US. Their laws wrt to semi's was very simple - convert the thing to semi only, it's legal.

This may seem far-fetched, and it's unlikely that you'll run into it, but back in the 1980's I encounterd a semi-auto NESA (New England Small Arms) 1918A2 BAR that fired from the open bolt, semi-auto fire only. It looked as if the triggerhousing pins were welded in place, and the owner stated that the trigger housing could not be removed from the receiver. He was looking for 2K $ and I got as far away from it and him as my legs could take me.

He informed me he had got the piece out of Canada.

Word to the wise - avoid any semi-auto original military manufactured BAR.

sorensen440
02-12-2009, 5:27 PM
C A L I F O R N I A