PDA

View Full Version : Can this pistol be made Calif legal? Your opinions please

psssniper
02-12-2009, 9:59 AM
Alright what we have here is a Wilkinson Linda in 9mm. As far as I can tell the threaded barrel nut puts it into AW status via item 4(a) in 12276.1(a) That is easy enough to deal with by taking off the threads.
Now my big question is what about the wooden piece on the forward lower portion of the pistol? Would that be considered a "second handgrip" or a "forward grip"? Is so would removing that wood satisfy 4(a&b)?

Next question revolves around 4(c) The frame of the Wilkinson encloses the barrel, it is not a shroud as I would see it, but does it "allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand"? Maybe initially but certainly not after firing a couple mags through the gun.

Your thoughts and opinions please :)

(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside of the pistol grip.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a281/psssniper/wilkinsonside.jpg

RANGER295
02-12-2009, 10:06 AM
The wood grip on the front may be problematic. I would say that if you do away with the threads on the barrel and the wood grip (?) you would probably be ok. Also, there were non threaded barrels made for these. I donít know, you may be able to win with this one, but you may have to fight the fight to prove you are right.

PRKArms
02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Linda's can (and frequently are) converted to CA legal status, we have both Linda's and terry's in the shop.

the wood grip is questionable and you will definitely have to get rid of the threaded barrel.

motorhead
02-12-2009, 10:42 AM
i thought fwd. grip had to be vertical. should fall into the same boat as uzis and aks.

PRKArms
02-12-2009, 10:55 AM
i thought fwd. grip had to be vertical. should fall into the same boat as uzis and aks.

it does fall in the same boat,

uzi pistols can not have the grip up front, and ak pistols have to have the mag locked to be legal in CA

bwiese
02-12-2009, 11:57 AM
Alright what we have here is a Wilkinson Linda in 9mm. As far as I can tell the threaded barrel nut puts it into AW status via item 4(a) in 12276.1(a) That is easy enough to deal with by taking off the threads.

Now my big question is what about the wooden piece on the forward lower portion of the pistol? Would that be considered a "second handgrip" or a "forward grip"? Is so would removing that wood satisfy 4(a&b)?

Next question revolves around 4(c) The frame of the Wilkinson encloses the barrel, it is not a shroud as I would see it, but does it "allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand"? Maybe initially but certainly not after firing a couple mags through the gun.

12276.1(a) PC...
(4) A semiautomatic pistol that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:
(A) A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer.
(B) A second handgrip.
(C) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel that allows the bearer to fire the weapon without burning his or her hand, except a slide that encloses the barrel.
(D) The capacity to accept a detachable magazine at some location outside
of the pistol grip.

OK, this gun can have evil features if it uses a nondetachable magazine - i.e, if there were to be some kind of Bullet Button device available.

Architectural question: where is the chamber on this gun (i.e, where does barrel end?)

If the goal is to use detachable magazines, we need to deal with:

threaded bbl: fixable by turning down threads / welding on a sleeve;

second handgrip: wooden foreend is removed, exposing bare metal.

barrel shroud: this could be more problematic. We don't have a 'slide' here.

Again, what do we consider the tube that extends from above the trigger out to the
barrel nut??

Does the barrel extend far into this tube with the chamber being near the magwell,
or does the bbl/chamber area end right up front, near that big barrel nut/trunnion-
like area?

I know the tube's part of the frame/receiver, but if the barrel extends back it at least
partially encircles the bbl and could be regarded as preventing the bearer from burning
his hand due to its not gripping the actual barrel, it might be a shroud too.

(...thus, my architectural question above...)

AJAX22
02-12-2009, 12:03 PM
A linda has a reciprocating internal bolt which wraps around the barrel and travels the entire length of the receiver.

the receiver is not a 'shroud' any more than it is on a Mac10

the receiver exists to provide the sole structural support for the barrel which attaches at the front of the gun. the receiver does not prevent you from being burned, but rather keeps the reciprocating parts contained.

since there is a moving part which uses all the available internal space, it is clear that in this instance there is no barrel shroud.

There are a number of non AW lindas in the state of CA, I've shot one of them (it was a really accurate gun)