PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing Pistol with Hi Cap Mag.

toneman
02-11-2009, 11:21 PM
I have opportunity to purchase a surplus hand gun with 13 rounds mag.
Person who sells says I can buy it as repair kit, put it togehter later.
is it a good thing ? or is it legal to bring pistol that has Hi Cap mag. to the range ?

leelaw
02-11-2009, 11:36 PM
I have opportunity to purchase a surplus hand gun with 13 rounds mag.OK
Person who sells says I can buy it as repair kitOK put it togehter later.FELONY
is it a good thing ?Depends how much you like prison food is it legal to bring pistol that has Hi Cap mag. to the range ?Legal, but the possession isn't the issue, it's creating the new large capacity magazine.

FS00008
02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
Well you could pin the mag to hold only 10 rounds...

leelaw
02-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Well you could pin the mag to hold only 10 rounds...

Legally you could permanently modify the magazine to hold no more than 10 rounds and then reassemble it, but that's not what's being implied.

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2009, 7:41 AM
You can legally keep the parts and put them together later, WHEN YOU ARE OUTSIDE OF CALIFORNIA. You would need to disassemble it before you bring it back to Ca though. So, you can buy everything, just like he told you and then buy a ten round mag for it too. This way you have not destroyed any value the original mag may have yet, you can still shoot the gun in Ca. with the aftermarket ten round mag that you will buy.

chsk9
02-12-2009, 10:47 AM
I have opportunity to purchase a surplus hand gun with 13 rounds mag.
Person who sells says I can buy it as repair kit, put it togehter later.
is it a good thing ? or is it legal to bring pistol that has Hi Cap mag. to the range ?

It may just be me, but it seems a lot easier to buy some 10 round after market mags and just swap 'em! :eek:

toneman
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
How to pin the mag to less then 10 rounds?
Do I put something under the spring ?

B.D.Dubloon
02-12-2009, 11:46 AM
Somewhere there is a nice walkthrough for using a piece of dowel and some epoxy to make 10/30 AK mags. If you can find that, just apply the concepts to the 13 rounder you got. You might be able to trade it for a ten rounder with someone on another forum, or someone here who goes out of state to shoot sometimes. What type of mag, I go to AZ a couple times a year.

And let's not be crazy, he'd only get probation unless there are other crimes involved or he has a bunch of priors.

BDD

mblat
02-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Haven't this has been discussed to the death?

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=124709

anyway... if there are 10 rounders for THAT pistol, why would you alter original mag? Keep it for out of state and SHTF activities.