PDA

View Full Version : Recruiters Lie.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 7:31 PM
The next f**kstick that posts this comment better come with hard evidence.

Im a detailed recruiter, Ive never lied to an applicant, its not worth it and I dont care enough to lie to someone.

ALSO, the National Guard and the AD Army are two different animals, please do not equate the two.

Im working on starting a campaign to have NG Soldiers wear " NATIONAL GUARD" name tapes instead of "US ARMY"... I think itll help keep things in perspective. That and to have them wear thier own damn unit patches when they deploy, nothing pisses me off more than a NG Soldier wearing a 101st or 3ID patch, when they know good and well they were never in that unit. Yeah, yeah, I ran tons of missions and was under the command of other units that have super cool guy patches, but i would never dare put one on... Why? because I was in the 3ID!!! You joined the Guard, be proud, wear your own damn patch!

:thumbsup:

dustoff31
02-11-2009, 7:42 PM
Oh come on, everyone knows what an easy life recruiters have and how they get paid by the head and all that.:rolleyes:

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 7:53 PM
Roger that.

8 to 8, six days a week, ocassional weekend off.

Leave the house before the wife and baby get up, get home when theyre going to bed.

Dealing with idiots and morons all day to sort through to the good applicants.

Someones up my six all day everyday because you are never doing enough work.

Ill take the streets of Bahgdad or Afganistan Mountains over recruiting duty any day.

The only benefit is getting to check CG during the day and seeing the look on some jacked up dips**ts face when I tell him to kick rocks, the Army doesnt want him! :43:

dustoff31
02-11-2009, 7:56 PM
The most miserable three years of my life.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 7:59 PM
The most miserable three years of my life.

22 months to go. :(

11Z50
02-11-2009, 8:06 PM
Yeah, but "make mission, go fishin' " still work? Seriously, I knew many Guard recruiters and they generally get beat up on a daily basis by their bosses. I never had to do recruiting duty, and wouldn't have wanted to. One recruiter that supported my unit would put duds back in as fast as I could get them discharged for AWOL. Very frustrating, but in those days it was all about the numbers.

I know you guys have a hard job.

striker3
02-11-2009, 8:15 PM
There is always that 10%. While my USMC recruiter never lied to me, I do know some guys that got royally screwed over. Ever seen the look on someone's face when they went through all of boot camp thinking they were going to be an infantryman, only to find out at the end that they had actually signed a contract as a cook? It is not a pretty sight...

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 8:36 PM
Yeah, but "make mission, go fishin' " still work?

Hell no.

Mission is like fitting Soldiers in a 5-ton, you can always get 1 more!

USN CHIEF
02-11-2009, 8:48 PM
Recruiters lie.. They all lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie after lie, lie, lie, lie, lie, lie.... hahahhahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahhaha lie, lie, lie, lie... hahahahhahahahahahahahhaha

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 8:58 PM
Somewhere, a sheep is missing its Sailor.

ShooterMcGavin
02-11-2009, 9:13 PM
I liked the one mine told me about me having to give up the college fund in order to get the slot I wanted. Damn I was a dumb 17 yr old back in the day....

KUJO
02-11-2009, 9:19 PM

Im a detailed recruiter, Ive never lied to an applicant, its not worth it and I dont care enough to lie to someone.

ALSO, the National Guard and the AD Army are two different animals, please do not equate the two.

Im working on starting a campaign to have NG Soldiers wear " NATIONAL GUARD" name tapes instead of "US ARMY"... I think itll help keep things in perspective. That and to have them wear thier own damn unit patches when they deploy, nothing pisses me off more than a NG Soldier wearing a 101st or 3ID patch, when they know good and well they were never in that unit. Yeah, yeah, I ran tons of missions and was under the command of other units that have super cool guy patches, but i would never dare put one on... Why? because I was in the 3ID!!! You joined the Guard, be proud, wear your own damn patch!

First of all WOW. Thought you would understand what you were talking about. Guess not.

We as Army National Guard members are told what patch to wear, it depends who we fall under in theater.

And I don't know what your problem with the Army National Guard is but you need to get over it and think about what the Army National Guard does for the army. The Army National Guard is getting deployed as much as active duty units now, and if it isnt getting deployed its taking over base duties of active soldiers that are being deployed.

I wish that we would wear Army National Guard name tapes instead, that way people like you will notice that the person fighting next to you, or working with you in a support position, or the people responding to a natural disaster will be seen for what the are. "ARMY NATIONAL GUARD" not just another army "soldier"

Or what about that soldier that you thing is in the "REAL ARMY" that is just a Army National Guard Soldier that went active first. Basically on loan to the active army till they get back to join the Army National Guard.

Also I think it would be in your best interest to learn about what you are talking about. I have never seen a AIR National Guard Member wear a us army patch. Or are you refering to the ARMY National Guard. Maybe you don't realize but there isnt just a National Guard. There is the ARMY and the AIR National Guard.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 9:19 PM
I liked the one mine told me about me having to give up the college fund in order to get the slot I wanted. Damn I was a dumb 17 yr old back in the day....

Cant have it all.

You have to figure out whats more importaint to you, extra bonus/college money/airborne school/Ranger/etc or the MOS you want.

Thats how it goes.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 9:21 PM

Pass me a freaking tissue, Private.

Blue
02-11-2009, 9:22 PM
My dad always said "If your recruiters lips are moving, he's lying..."

KUJO
02-11-2009, 9:23 PM
Oh yeah. I almost forgot, Recruiters lie, The Army, Army National Guard and the Marines. I can say that because I have seen them lie. Sorry, don't know if the Navy, Coast Guard, Air Force or Air National Guard do.

USN CHIEF
02-11-2009, 9:25 PM
My dad always said "If your recruiters lips are moving, he's lying..."

:D:laugh::clap::rofl2:

nick
02-11-2009, 9:26 PM
One Army recruiter I know failed to inform his potential recruit that there was an Air Force recruitment center 5 blocks down the road :(

Blue
02-11-2009, 9:27 PM
One Army recruiter I know failed to inform his potential recruit that there was an Air Force recruitment center 5 blocks down the road :(

Is there a reason they cluster **** them all together? The one down the street from here seems to recruit them all.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 9:29 PM
Is there a reason they cluster **** them all together? The one down the street from here seems to recruit them all.

DOD tries to get all the recruiters stations in one location... cheaper rent! Thats why you see "Armed Forces Career Center" everywhere and solo stations closing down.

Blue
02-11-2009, 9:31 PM
DOD tries to get all the recruiters stations in one location... cheaper rent! Thats why you see "Armed Forces Career Center" everywhere and solo stations closing down.

Ah...cheaper rent...There's Marine and Army recruiters that often horse play at a Jack in the box I frequent...they look pretty bored...

sorensen440
02-11-2009, 9:33 PM
I had always heard that recruiters lie
my guess is that some recruiters lie

nick
02-11-2009, 9:35 PM

That was over a decade ago. The DoD had the money back then ,I guess.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 9:39 PM
I had always heard that recruiters lie
my guess is that some recruiters lie

Some do, no doubt about it.

Id say a fair 70% to 80% of the time its applicants hearing what they want to and new Privates (barracks lawyers) who think they know what the heck is going on.

Desert_Rat
02-11-2009, 9:58 PM
ALSO, the National Guard and the AD Army are two different animals, please do not equate the two. :thumbsup:

Amen Brother!
I let myself get roped into a Guard unit after 4 years of active USMC.I must have had a brain fart when I was surprised that the Guard was NOT like the active Army who I had worked with while I was on active duty.

You're right about the Private thinking he knows too much.
Ever notice that all privates are the smartest Soldiers or Marines for that matter,,,Until there is an NCO around?

11Z50
02-11-2009, 10:08 PM
Or a recruiter is missing a sheep?

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Or a recruiter is missing a sheep?

Its possible, but the Navy office is down the way and I dont stop by there much! ;)

resistor
02-11-2009, 10:24 PM
[QUOTE=CavTrooper;2025350]The next f**kstick that posts this comment better come with hard evidence.

QUOTE]

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6cxNR9ML8k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/C6cxNR9ML8k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Desert_Rat
02-11-2009, 10:26 PM
:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

wcnones
02-11-2009, 10:28 PM
My recruiter didn't lie to me. Marine Corps boot camp was just like camping, man! And he didn't steal my blues, or pork a number of h.s. chickidies while in the billet.

Naw...didn't happen!

Cavtrooper - you shouldn't admonish someone for painting with too broad of a brush if you intend to do the same in return. I don't presume to claim that you lie, but don't use yourself as a representation of all recruiters.

CavTrooper
02-11-2009, 10:36 PM
My recruiter didn't lie to me. Marine Corps boot camp was just like camping, man! And he didn't steal my blues, or pork a number of h.s. chickidies while in the billet.

Naw...didn't happen!

Cavtrooper - you shouldn't admonish someone for painting with too broad of a brush if you intend to do the same in return. I don't presume to claim that you lie, but don't use yourself as a representation of all recruiters.

Youre talking about CRIMINAL acts here, did you report this stuff?

MiniFan
02-13-2009, 1:37 PM
When I joined the army I SPECIFICALLY wanted to be a tanker. I asked my recruiter A NUMBER of times. "Are you posative I'm not too tall" I'm 6'5'' and he told me over and over theres no hieght requirement. Sure enough when I go to sign my final papers I had to change MOS. Later he told me that he thought I met the requirment and I reminded him he siad "there was no requirement". LIE! Anyway. Its not you man so don't take offense but there all a majority of recruiters telling people what they want to hear.

wcnones
02-13-2009, 1:54 PM
Youre talking about CRIMINAL acts here, did you report this stuff?

Dude was already in jail. Jag corps said "Sorry SSgt, we'll let the civvies handle this one."

Found out when I stopped by to pick up my blues about two weeks after I finished hometown recruiting. I think this was back in 95 or 96, and I'd be interested in finding out what amounted with the slob.

You're Army -- dunno if it is the same setup, but from what I can recall the way the Corps works B-billets like recruiting and whatnot is as follows: upon a Marine's first re-enlistment, said Marine *should* begin thinking about what B-billet is most preferred: drill field, recruiting, or embassy guard. If a Marine knows that the drill field is "destiny", a pre-emptory request can be made to go to the drill field; same with the other two choices.

For the Marine who puts off making a decision, Quantico will make one depending upon what field needs slots filled the most. When I was in, that was always the recruiting field.

I don't doubt that your job is one of the hardest in the service - and I would agree that the bad recruiters bleed so much over onto the good ones that just one bad can taint all the hundreds of good. It is a real bummer, and all I can offer is my best wishes for your remaining time on the job, and that once back with the regular Army you are a couple stripes-n-rockers heavier and beaming a nice big smile.

Keep up the good work - our Armed Forces need you to!

cyphr02
02-13-2009, 2:24 PM
Anybody that feels lied to by a recruiter needs to do one simple thing... learn how to get it in writing. I scored very highly on the ASVAB as was being contacted by recruiters constantly. Army promised to have me flying helos, Air Force promised to have me gunning on an AC-130, Navy said I'd be in BUDS in no time, but would any of them put it in writing? NO WAY! I actually had the highest respect for the USMC recruiter, he told me I'd get a rifle and could earn my way to wherever I wanted to go.

Prowler
02-13-2009, 2:38 PM
It's true that most Recruiters don't lie, however there are some that do. USN Recruiter lied and forged my parents signature on some documents when my brother joined in 1976. My dad took it in his hands to speak with his Congressman. The Recruiter's tour was terminated and re-deployed to another location. I don't know if that was the end of it, or if he was disciplined further. Additionally, he did lie about a specific billet/MOS and said my brother was good to go. He never got the billet and was transferred into a secondary billet/MOS. Very disappointing to say the least. What we've all learned, or should learn, is that whatever it is that you want, or believe that you're getting into, ALWAYS GET IT IN WRITING. PERIOD. I have two USAF Recruiters and one USN Recruiter as clients. They're honest and good people. For the most part, they're honest, just like we should be. There's always some A-hole somewhere that's lying, but that's the exception and not the rule.

AJAX22
02-13-2009, 3:24 PM
While most recruiters play it straight, there are still a portion of them who bend the truth significantly.

I've had classes with a number of former servicemen who had their recruiters misrepresent the extent that the GI bill covered college expenses.

Many also gloss over the fact that they can recall you to active duty for a number of years afterward and can extend the active duty period beyond that which you think you are signing up for.

There are a bunch of dirty tricks used by some recruiters (some, not all or even a majority)

That being said, there are also some really really good recruiters who can help you out significantly.

My father's recruiter was able to get him into the submarine electronics school for two years without having him extend his enlistment period and was able to keep him stationed stateside assigned to a destroyer instead of sending him to vietnam.

strangerdude
02-13-2009, 3:30 PM
the recruiters that were at my high school were all liars and there was even some drama were one of the recruits was messing around with a girl that attended my school. I find it hard to believe that all recruiters are honest, there have been undercover investigations and testimonials by prior service recruiters.

Fjold
02-13-2009, 4:11 PM
When I joined the Navy I told my recruiter that I wanted to be a Machinist. He looked through the catalog and said "Here it is, Machinist Mate". Then he said, "Look they have a Nuclear Machinist Mate that guarantees you E-3 right out of boot" (He didn't mention that he got double credit for recruiting Nukes).

When I go to my Class A school, I asked "Where are the lathes?" They said "Shut up and take apart this valve"

In defense of my recruiter, he was a second class Postal Clerk with 16 years of service so he probably had an IQ of 70.

chris
02-13-2009, 4:26 PM

dude chill out. AD is just as if not more screwed up than Reserve or Guard. i saw in theater and laughed all the time at them. why because the people that thought they were squared away were jacked up that came to to TTP's and SOP's in the AO (Area of Operations) yep it's true it goes both ways. get over it. in my 20 yrs as a Reservist and i don't get a F about it. i learned from AD guys when i first got in of what not to do and how not to look and act. never got any crap from anyone in theater. so i guess i was taught well and knew what to do.

as for patches i earned what patch i wear PERIOD!!!! yep it's a cool patch and yes i will always say this as i said to the team chief to pass on the guys. "It was and honor and a privalege to serve and go on missions with you guys" i considered myself extrememly lucky to recieve the respect and trust of the ODA team i worked with. they were cool guys to boot. oh yeah before i forget they were National Guard SF. and they knew more about what was goin on than the AD brigade.

so i will continue to wear my patch(s) that i choose to wear and there are a few from my year in Iraq. it's my choice which one but i wear the one in my sig since i consider that the patch i earned while i was there.

so chill on the patches and beating up the Guard and Reserve i know you did not mention it but we are the same and supporting a large portion of Combat Operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. get used to it.

and yes there are some really messed up Reseve and Guard commands. i know this becuase my Guard BN was a joke and a bunch of idiots that is the BN Commmander and the useless POS CSM.

Whitesmoke
02-13-2009, 4:41 PM
Besides...at least half of the NG guys used to be regular army. One of my good friends went to basic as NG and we were in the same NG Infantry Company...then he decided to go regular army and is now a E-7 in SF.

Granted...there are some lame NG units out there.....mostly due to lack of experienced leadership.

Dutch
02-13-2009, 4:45 PM
The USMC and USN recruiters that I dealt with were very honset with me - based on what I know now after umpteen years of service. They both helped me alot...I walked into the USMC office to be a medic in the Corps (I liked their commercials better than than the Army's at that time)....I did not know that the USMC did not have their own medical assets....the Marine walked me over to the USN recruiter and said something like "...this guy wants to be a Doc....can you make him one?".......after a few weeks of hemming and hawing (my recruiter told me there was no promise that I would be able to serve with the Marines)....I decided to join the Navy, I figured I could always join the Army if the Navy did not work out and I did not get an opportunity to do field work like I wanted to. During one of my periodic visits with the recruiter while awaiting departure to boot camp, I bumped into the Marine recruiter who a friend in his office - a Corpsman he was stationed with at one time from where ever. The Corpsman talked to me and gave me insight about navigating the Navy sytem through "A" school and attending field medical service school - his advice worked well (basically it was "no doesn't really ever mean no"...keep hounding people and trying to prove yourself until you get what you want)...anyways...the point is - My recruiter(s) were stand up guys and the USN recruiter SM2 Robert Fix even tried to learn about the FMF Corpsman pipeline to give me more knowledge ebfore I left......I have nothing but respect for the guys that were involved in my recruiting process.:thumbsup:

6172crew
02-13-2009, 4:53 PM
I did the ol' recruiter assist for 70 or days, my recruiter told me to not lie to the folks as it will bite him later.

My recruiter never lied to me..just omitted a few things?...(WTH is jokers wild and squad bay east/west?:D

chris
02-13-2009, 4:56 PM
Besides...at least half of the NG guys used to be regular army. One of my good friends went to basic as NG and we were in the same NG Infantry Company...then he decided to go regular army and is now a E-7 in SF.

Granted...there are some lame NG units out there.....mostly due to lack of experienced leadership.

if i may add to that. it also is a result of leadership not listening to those with experience.

anthonyca
02-13-2009, 5:03 PM
My recruiter did not lie to me in any way. He even showed me his pay stub (I can't remember what they were called) and how his ex wife and kids got much of it. The only thing he may have lied about was Be ALL YOU CAN BE was his favorite song.

I would like to find him. I remember he told me to pick 52C air conditioning and when I got out someone would say. We work on air conditioning for IBM and we like that you learned some about our trade in the ARMY. It went that way when I was hired but it was SGI was our big account not IBM.

That missirable reception sergent is still burned into my mind. "I don't want to hear about hour your #$*&^$% recruiter lied to your dumb #@% or how you want to kill your self"!!!!!!!!!!!! As we sat in that room with no sleep.

76231b
02-13-2009, 7:25 PM
before I joined the army I was talking to a Marine recruiter. He was very pushy and just wanted to focus on getting me to MEPS to DEP in rather than answer my questions I had. After about 2 meetings of that I just went over to the Army office. The army recruiters were all very nice and never lied to me once. I still talk to my old recruiter now and then.

Decoligny
02-13-2009, 7:30 PM
Thank God hurrican Andrew destroyed my recruiting office. It gave me the opportunity to get out of Air Force Recruiting with my honor intact and my career undamaged.

I never lied to a single recruit.

My Flight Supervisor wanted me to ask the drug questions like "You know, if you ever used any of the following illegal drugs that it will make you inelligible to join up, you haven't done any of these....have you." Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

I refused and still made goal for the single year I was recruiting.

I bumped into a young lady that I put into the Air Force a few years later, she thanked me for helping her make the best decision of her life.

Her friends that were with her were amazed as they wanted to kill their recruiters.

I always like to greet the Marine Recruiter with the question "Found them yet?"

The Marines: We're looking for a few good men.

dwtt
02-13-2009, 8:42 PM
There is always that 10%. While my USMC recruiter never lied to me, I do know some guys that got royally screwed over. Ever seen the look on someone's face when they went through all of boot camp thinking they were going to be an infantryman, only to find out at the end that they had actually signed a contract as a cook? It is not a pretty sight...

This happens with open contract enlistments. The recruit thinks he had a guaranteed MOS, but the recruiter puts it in as open contract. The poor guy becomes a cook or truck driver or gas pump operator.

lehn20
02-13-2009, 9:33 PM
well they dont have to lie anymore.
Recruiting numbers are up bigtime because of the economy and Hussein Obamas promise of surrender ( oh I mean withdrawel) from Iraq!

jrcarr2
02-13-2009, 9:35 PM
Recruiters lie?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ma_Y6dhAdVk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ma_Y6dhAdVk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

"I joined a different Army."

:D

On a serious note, I'd encourage anyone joining to do as much research on their intended career in the military. Recruiters can't know everything about every military career. I knew more about my prospective job than my recruiter did when I joined the Navy. (ultimately it still wasn't everything lol)

360PA
02-14-2009, 5:48 AM
With the abundance of information about many different things through the internet, there should be minimal if any "my recruiter lied to me" incidences regarding the nature of the job or life in the military. Servicemembers are often members of forums and many are more than willing to tell you about the Service. The recruiter messing with the contract is another story, there you as the person signing away your life should be reading it line by line, or having someone who represents your interests doing so. People never do, car loans, home loans, etc... that is evident by some of the problems we are seeing now.

geeknow
02-14-2009, 7:13 AM
Some do, no doubt about it.

Id say a fair 70% to 80% of the time its applicants hearing what they want to and new Privates (barracks lawyers) who think they know what the heck is going on.

So, based upon your observations, 70-80% of the people either "hear what they want", or "think they know what the heck is going on"? As you are the professional, I will take your word for it. From that, one could make the logical conclusion that one of two phenomena is present.

Conclusion #1 - 70-80% of the people that walk through the door are just not bright enough to be in the military despite despite your careful tutelage.

Conclusion #2 - 70-80% of the people that walk through that door ARE bright enough to be in the military but wind up thinking they got lied to or got a bad deal.

Personally, I would not bet on Conclusion #1 and given the overwhelming amount of anecdotal evidence that has, over a period of decades, pointed to "creative" pitches made by recruiters, feel that may be the case.

Now, you may consider me to be a ****stick, as you so eloquently put it in your first post. That would do nothing but support my belief.

Trapper
02-14-2009, 7:20 AM
Recruiters are salesmen! They ask probing questions while searching for the, “need behind the need” and then tailor their sales pitch accordingly. Do they lie? Well…..they glamorize parts of the job that may not be that glamorous and aren’t very forthcoming with other bits of information regarding the service.
I’ve be serving since July 17th 1989, and my recruiter didn’t lie.

CavTrooper
02-14-2009, 7:32 AM
So, based upon your observations, 70-80% of the people either "hear what they want", or "think they know what the heck is going on"? ...

Id say alot of it has to do with the fact that there is SO MUCH information about the Military and Military life in general, its impossible to impart all of it to a person in such a short periodof time. In fact, most Military folks are still learning about programs, benefits, drawbacks, etc weel into thier careers. It appears to me that sometimes people have ideas about how something should be, dont ask about it, the recruiter doesnt tell them about it (not purposely, but it never comes up) and when the person learns that thier ideas are wrong, they blame thier recruiter saying "he lied to me".

There are some recruiters who do flat out lie, like the one who tells people that the NG doesnt deploy overseas, thats BS and everyone knows it! However, I cant blame the recruiter 100% because if the applicants have an ounce of common sense they would do thier own research. Like was stated earlier in the thread, there is so much info avalible on the internet and other sources, theres no reason for someone to not be as informed as possible when making the decision to join the military.

Let me take this time to apoligize to my NG brothers for any offense. I know yall work hard and are right there side by side with RA Soldiers in theatre. Ive had my own negative experiences with some NG Soldiers and I shouldnt generalize and put it on all of you. I apoligize.

ChuckBooty
02-14-2009, 7:43 AM
I have served in the Active Army, Army Reserves, and the Army National Guard. I can tell you from first hand experience that it's ALL THE SAME ARMY. I don't know what you have against the Guard, but you should go ahead and take your nose out of the air and think of the Guard soldiers who have died in combat the last couple of years. And as far as wearing a different name tape, Guard soldiers have EARNED the right to wear "US Army" on their chest the second the graduated from ARMY BASIC TRAINING! And you think you're so hard core, I'd invite you down for a weekend in Los Alamitos to train with the 19th Special Forces Group.

ChuckBooty
02-14-2009, 7:49 AM
Let me take this time to apoligize to my NG brothers for any offense. I know yall work hard and are right there side by side with RA Soldiers in theatre. Ive had my own negative experiences with some NG Soldiers and I shouldnt generalize and put it on all of you. I apoligize.

Must have been typing at the same time. Apology accepted brother. :thumbsup:

bohoki
02-14-2009, 10:31 AM
i would love to hear any specific lies they are accused of

thebloodsonthewall
02-14-2009, 11:29 AM
My recruiter never directly lied to me well one small one but that was no big deal. He did tell me something and then add details to it at a later date. Like the $70,000 college fund. At first he made it seem like anyone in my immediate family could spend any amount at anytime. Then it changed to I had ten years from the time I am out of the Army to start spending it. Now a limited amount of it can be spent by my wife and kids.

I can see how people could hear what they want to from their recruiter and take it to mean something different.

My recruiter is doing a great job. There was a mix up in the beginning and CavTrooper got it fixed for me. Now I have the Station Commander from a different office as my recruiter. He has to drive about 80 miles to come down here every time I need something from him. I think he has been down 4 or 5 times so far.

Regulus
02-14-2009, 12:59 PM
My recruiter told me that his recruiter lied to him and the first chance he had he went looking for him to kick his @$$ for lying to him.

When I returned home on leave once, I went to see my recruiter and the first thing he asked me as I walked in was “Are you going to kick my @$$?”

I said no, and even though he lied, I was okay with him and just went back to say thanks. I wanted to enlist and would have done it regardless of what he said.

docsmileyface
02-14-2009, 7:42 PM
My recruiter never directly lied to me well one small one but that was no big deal. He did tell me something and then add details to it at a later date. Like the $70,000 college fund. At first he made it seem like anyone in my immediate family could spend any amount at anytime. Then it changed to I had ten years from the time I am out of the Army to start spending it. Now a limited amount of it can be spent by my wife and kids.

A lot of us who've been in for a while have heard conflicting things too about that, most of our info on it came from the Army Times and a lot of it changed around each subsequent edition with each revision the new post-9/11 GI Bill underwent in congress.

Vectrexer
02-15-2009, 2:48 AM
Most recruiter lies are lies of omission, or misleading fact about assignment choice after signup.

Having been Navy enlisted I advised my son about the whole recruiter mentality. They are after all, rated on their ability to recruit effectively. One of the recruiters my son talked to was an Army recruiter. Even though I sat right there and listened along with my son the Army recruiter repetitively omitted facts relevant to the positions (MOS's) my son was interested in. No outright lies like we'll give you $1 million for college. But there were several omissions related to possible duties and post training assignments. When I chimed in during their conversation the recruiter was definitely uncomfortable with my clarifying the facts around his story.

When I enlisted in the Navy I also noticed the same thing. Several people who were in boot camp with me were not happy that I was guaranteed a rating they were told was impossible to get. I'm lucky I held out for what I wanted and had a recruiter who seemed to be genuinely interested in helping me plan my entry. It didn't hurt that my plan included bein the the delayed entry program.

On flip side, I noticed my son hearing what he wanted to hear, and also making unrealistic assumptions about what he expected to do. It's a mistake common every inexperienced person who is excited about something new. We tend to give a undeserved glow to some things we are looking forward to. Military job hunting is no different. Especially when the recruiter is blowing air up your ***.

In the end I was glad I could provide some positive input and guidance about military entry and post boot life. If he ever signs up I am sure he'll be able to better find a career that suits him and also get the details in writing before signing the enlistment contract.

gwl
02-15-2009, 6:48 AM
Most recruiter lies are lies of omission, or misleading fact about assignment choice after signup.

Having been Navy enlisted I advised my son about the whole recruiter mentality. They are after all, rated on their ability to recruit effectively. One of the recruiters my son talked to was an Army recruiter. Even though I sat right there and listened along with my son the Army recruiter repetitively omitted facts relevant to the positions (MOS's) my son was interested in. No outright lies like we'll give you $1 million for college. But there were several omissions related to possible duties and post training assignments. When I chimed in during their conversation the recruiter was definitely uncomfortable with my clarifying the facts around his story.

When I enlisted in the Navy I also noticed the same thing. Several people who were in boot camp with me were not happy that I was guaranteed a rating they were told was impossible to get. I'm lucky I held out for what I wanted and had a recruiter who seemed to be genuinely interested in helping me plan my entry. It didn't hurt that my plan included bein the the delayed entry program.

On flip side, I noticed my son hearing what he wanted to hear, and also making unrealistic assumptions about what he expected to do. It's a mistake common every inexperienced person who is excited about something new. We tend to give a undeserved glow to some things we are looking forward to. Military job hunting is no different. Especially when the recruiter is blowing air up your ***.

In the end I was glad I could provide some positive input and guidance about military entry and post boot life. If he ever signs up I am sure he'll be able to better find a career that suits him and also get the details in writing before signing the enlistment contract.

That's a pretty good way at viewing this topic. I know lots of young men and women who only hear what they want to hear. I'm not a recruiter but when asked about my opinion about enlisting in the Armed Forces I just tell them to take their time and make an educated decision.

I guess I was fortunate that my recruiter didn't mislead me during my enlistment. Everything he told me happened exactly the way he told it it would.

Funny how in Boot Camp a few recruits from Texas were mad about being promised Combat Arms for an MOS and later told they're going to be an 0311 Rifleman or an 0331 Machine Gunner. I was asking them what they thought Combat Arms was? :confused: The answer. . . not Infantry! :eek: I wonder what their ASVAB scores were. :D