PDA

View Full Version : STEN gun kit

Meplat
02-11-2009, 7:29 PM
Assuming one purchased a STEN parts kit complete with magazine before the ban and built it into a non-firing replica with a plastic receiver tube. Now as I understand it this is all perfectly legale. However if one wanted to sell said replica today there would be a problem with the magazine.

Any ideas? Is there any way to do this within the law? If the magazine were gutted of all it's internal parts could it be sold as parts?:confused:

Experimentalist
02-11-2009, 7:35 PM
Convert the mag to parts, or convert it permanently to 10 rounds.

Or sell it out of State.

Meplat
02-11-2009, 7:46 PM
Thanks! One of my basic goals is to NOT eliminate an existing legale magazine from our state. Even if circumstances dictate that I need to convert it to cash, I don't want it lost to the community.:thumbsup:

Convert the mag to parts, or convert it permanently to 10 rounds.

Or sell it out of State.

thefifthspeed
02-11-2009, 10:03 PM
If it's a dummy gun then just sell it with the body and floorplate (minus the follower and spring). This way it doesnt function but still has the look.

saki302
02-12-2009, 12:50 AM
Bingo- a dummy sten doesn't need the mag internals to look correct.

-Dave

Seesm
02-12-2009, 12:52 AM
No Sten for you... (sten nazi) :)

DDT
02-12-2009, 7:25 AM
Thanks! One of my basic goals is to NOT eliminate an existing legale magazine from our state. Even if circumstances dictate that I need to convert it to cash, I don't want it lost to the community.:thumbsup:

No legal way transfer a large capacity magazine in CA.

AJAX22
02-12-2009, 7:37 AM
be carefull, some of the old 'dummy guns' were built to standards less stringent than the current batfe requrements.

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2009, 7:49 AM
No legal way transfer a large capacity magazine in CA.

Well, parts kits are legal to transfer. Also, there are ways for some people to legally transfer normal mags in Ca. That's why some FFLs have "high cap mag permits." There may not be any legal way for you to transfer one but, that doesn't hold true for everyone else. BTW, I'm in the same boat that you're in.

DRH
02-12-2009, 8:14 AM
There is also restrictions on the sale of a dummy gun in the state. Unless you paint it solid orange or green or mount it to a display board you can't sell it assemblied. If you built it into a dummy gun a while back it would legal to possess but you can't sell it.

motorhead
02-12-2009, 9:23 AM
yup, check out the non-gun replicas for sale. no sales to ca. you're better off selling as a kit.

Lex Arma
02-12-2009, 4:32 PM
Since STENs are basically open bolt sewer pipes with a spring, carrier bolt, breach and barrel, you need to be extra careful because "constructive possession" law applies to machine guns under both federal and state law.

Depending on how complete your "parts kit" is, you may be inviting a visit from BATFE or Cal DOJ.

I have represented clients in the past who had to answer some difficult questions about replica guns that were made from mail order "parts kits." In the final analysis the gov't was persuaded that no crime occured, but the sleepless nights and lawyer fees were a real downer for the client.

Be safe out there.

bwiese
02-12-2009, 7:34 PM
Assuming one purchased a STEN parts kit complete with magazine before the ban and built it into a non-firing replica with a plastic receiver tube. Now as I understand it this is all perfectly legale. However if one wanted to sell said replica today there would be a problem with the magazine.

Any ideas? Is there any way to do this within the law? If the magazine were gutted of all it's internal parts could it be sold as parts?:confused:

Save the Sten mag(s) for yourself. Some AR pistol conversions & some other guns can use these mags.

And I'll just agree with Don above as some folks have run into drama with 9mm tube gun kits.
You don't want open bolt, period.

Legit semiauto Sten kits fire from a closed bolt and are not really 'war surplus'. They use different diameter tube and different bolt so parts aren't swappable.

Meplat
02-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Drama is one of those "D" words like divorce, diet, discipline, death and dentist. It is my policy to avoid them if at all possible. I have kits that I bought when it was still lawful to do so. I have no viable receivers. The only receivers I have are the ones that came with the kits, and they are cut in half, unusable, destroyed.

I have no tubing of suitable size fore making a receiver.

Do I have a constructive possession problem?:eek:

Save the Sten mag(s) for yourself. Some AR pistol conversions & some other guns can use these mags.

And I'll just agree with Don above as some folks have run into drama with 9mm tube gun kits.
You don't want open bolt, period.

Legit semiauto Sten kits fire from a closed bolt and are not really 'war surplus'. They use different diameter tube and different bolt so parts aren't swappable.

GuyW
02-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Do I have a constructive possession problem?:eek:

No.