PDA

View Full Version : Assembling a 10 round .458 socom mag from a parts kit

herburt
02-11-2009, 5:19 PM
Hello, I have done some searching and from what I can find people are of the opinion that an unmodified 5.56 magazine that holds 10 rounds of .458 is still illegal in the eyes of the law.

If I used a single stack follower and had the magazines engraved .458 socom would I be ok if inspected by an officer? What other modifications would be needed to make it clear that I am not trying to circumvent the laws of the land?
Has anyone successfully modified a parts kit to hold .458 socom but not feed 5.56?

I will be using this in a featureless build utilizing the MMG and a fixed stock with no flash hider or other evil features. Holding only 3 rounds kind of defeats the purpose of using the .458.

I am not looking to get hi-cap 30 round 5.56 magazines in to California!

Thanks!

Edit: One thing that might work would be to purchase .50 beowulf 10 rounders that are marked as such.

MrSlippyFist
02-11-2009, 5:20 PM
Has anyone successfully modified a parts kit to hold .458 socom but not feed 5.56?

Not sure if this is possible, but IMO It's not. Just the nature of the beast.

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2009, 5:24 PM
Since you are using no more than ten round mags, why not go PG and BB? Can you find any "factory" marked .458 ten round mags? It would look better to an uninformed LEO and or DA. Otherwise, the only real problem I see with doing what you want to do is: if you also have a 5.56/.223 upper with you when someone decides to question you about your mags.

herburt
02-11-2009, 5:30 PM
I have a few that utilize mag locking devices and it kills the feel of the gun for me for some reason having to grab a bullet to drop the mag. Thanks for the reply though :)