PDA

View Full Version : 18 Day Waiting Period in Vacaville @%$^&*

gdr_11
02-11-2009, 1:09 PM
Well, I have been flying high since I scored the deal of the century on a NIB, unfired Springfield Mil Spec Stainless 1911 last week. Unfortunately for me, the seller lives in Vacaville so we did the DROS at Guns, Fishing and Stuff on 2/04.

During the paperwork, I specifically told the gun counter staff two times that I had moved in the past three months and that the address on the front of my license was no longer valid and that the correct address was on the back. I, of course, filled out my forms correctly but could not see what they entered in the computer. While they were typing the info in, I again told them to be sure to use the address on the back of my license and my instructions were acknowledged.

Today, after several communications with knowledgeable 1911 Calgunners about doing mods to my new gun, and having made a list of upgrade parts and beginning the ordering process, I get a call from GF&S telling me that they "just noticed" that the address on the forms I filled out and theirs were different. When I clarified my correct address, they told me they would have to re-DROS the gun and I would have to wait another 10 days (this is already day 7 on the original DROS)!!!! To top it off, this will probably not be done until late this afternoon and, since I live in Lincoln, will mean that I will not logically be able to pick up my gun until 2/22, a full 18 days after starting the DROS.

Needless to say, there were the usual canned apologies, but I was so ticked off that I didn't know what to say beyond that this was not right.

Anyone else ever suffer this? I know there is no recourse from a DOJ standpoint, but any advice on whether I should try to get something from them in exchange for my heartburn and the delay?

Two Shots
02-11-2009, 1:19 PM
Tell them that if they want to make it up they can give you a box or two of ammo to cover the inconvenience.

Black Majik
02-11-2009, 1:21 PM
Be nice and ask them to compensate by ammo or discount on accessories.

Mistakes happen, we're only human.

wolf13
02-11-2009, 2:17 PM
Good luck with trying to get something from them, as I have had nothing but bad luck there. Not the friendliest of people, but hopefully they make it right for you.

lazyworm
02-11-2009, 2:23 PM
always ask for a copy of the dros, so you can verify the info and save yourself the headache next time.

jasilva
02-11-2009, 2:25 PM
Good luck with trying to get something from them, as I have had nothing but bad luck there. Not the friendliest of people, but hopefully they make it right for you.

Yep, I go elsewhere after a couple of less than joyous experiences with them. The funny thing is the folks downstairs in the fishing dept. and in the range are friendly and helpful all the time. I actually go out of my way to do my fishing tackle shopping there. I had the experience last year of learning how to tie a couple of different knots from one of the salesmen right out on the floor. He could have pointed me to the more expensive hooks that were pre-rigged but instead showed me how to save money and produce a better multi-hook rig.

wolf13
02-11-2009, 3:37 PM
Interesting, as I avoid them at all costs due to the upstairs people. The range is on the way when I decide to go back home though. May have to stop and check it out.

gdr_11
02-11-2009, 4:17 PM
Well, this was my second DROS here and the only reason I went there was because the seller was doing another DROS for a Glock at the same place and, at the price he was selling to me, I did not want to risk losing the deal.

My other recent DROS have been at Irvington in Fremont and at Cordova in Sacramento. Both of these went great and they didn't have the odd rules about having your guns locked before you could leave like GF&S does.

adamsreeftank
02-11-2009, 6:24 PM
They are without a doubt the rudest, most inconsiderate and just plain nasty sales people I have ever met.

I don't want to take over your thread, but after the unbelievable experience I had there, I will never set foot in that store again. It's a shame because the idiot sales manager is ruining the business that the owner tried to build and he should have been fired a long time ago.

Saigon1965
02-11-2009, 6:31 PM
Dude - This place is the pits - They suck - Zero customer service - I am not exaggerating either -

Be nice and ask them to compensate by ammo or discount on accessories.

Mistakes happen, we're only human.

wolf13
02-11-2009, 6:35 PM
Glad to know I wasn't the only one who hated the place.

ivanimal
02-11-2009, 6:38 PM
Another calgunner and I did a transfer there, I went to pick up my gun and they said there was no picture license of the seller. I would have to get a copy of that license if I wanted to pick up the gun. I was able to get a scan of his ID and take it in the next day. They never apologized, they just ragged on the guy that did the transfer berating him in his absence. They are near my work and have decent deals on powder and projectiles so I go there once in a while. There are some good eggs working there but you have to go through some real winners to find them.

The SoCal Gunner
02-11-2009, 6:40 PM
Might not have even been a problem. Happened to me and I still got my gun.

Sam
02-11-2009, 6:43 PM
I absolutely love the range master there...

Black Majik
02-11-2009, 7:12 PM
Dude - This place is the pits - They suck - Zero customer service - I am not exaggerating either -

That's a bummer then.

Given it was a shop run by good people I'd give them an opportunity to make right, but looks like this one isn't worth the time and effort.

Good luck OP.

tenpercentfirearms
02-11-2009, 7:18 PM
I probably would have just crossed out the address on the printed DROS form and proceeded as normal. You have to give the DOJ something insignificant to rant about when they come in so they can feel like they are doing their job. It isn't like you weren't trying to do the right thing and you had the wrong proof of residency or something.

Then again that is why people who shop with me like my customer service and only people who don't know me think I am some jerk because they don't get my online sense of humor.

Hoop
02-11-2009, 7:19 PM
They are without a doubt the rudest, most inconsiderate and just plain nasty sales people I have ever met.

I'll have to add that place to my list of "never go there again" places.

I've done business with the "Shooting Gallery" in Vacaville and they were friendly and competent - should've asked around, maybe saved yourself a headache.

Hoop
02-11-2009, 7:20 PM
I probably would have just crossed out the address on the printed DROS form and proceeded as normal. You have to give the DOJ something insignificant to rant about when they come in so they can feel like they are doing their job. It isn't like you weren't trying to do the right thing and you had the wrong proof of residency or something.

You know, when I wait around for Building Inspectors I do the same thing - screw up some really obvious thing so they can feel good about themselves.

ohsmily
02-11-2009, 7:21 PM
Well, I have been flying high since I scored the deal of the century on a NIB, unfired Springfield Mil Spec Stainless 1911 last week. Unfortunately for me, the seller lives in Vacaville so we did the DROS at Guns, Fishing and Stuff on 2/04.

During the paperwork, I specifically told the gun counter staff two times that I had moved in the past three months and that the address on the front of my license was no longer valid and that the correct address was on the back. I, of course, filled out my forms correctly but could not see what they entered in the computer. While they were typing the info in, I again told them to be sure to use the address on the back of my license and my instructions were acknowledged.

Today, after several communications with knowledgeable 1911 Calgunners about doing mods to my new gun, and having made a list of upgrade parts and beginning the ordering process, I get a call from GF&S telling me that they "just noticed" that the address on the forms I filled out and theirs were different. When I clarified my correct address, they told me they would have to re-DROS the gun and I would have to wait another 10 days (this is already day 7 on the original DROS)!!!! To top it off, this will probably not be done until late this afternoon and, since I live in Lincoln, will mean that I will not logically be able to pick up my gun until 2/22, a full 18 days after starting the DROS.

Needless to say, there were the usual canned apologies, but I was so ticked off that I didn't know what to say beyond that this was not right.

Anyone else ever suffer this? I know there is no recourse from a DOJ standpoint, but any advice on whether I should try to get something from them in exchange for my heartburn and the delay?

Yeah, that place kinda sucks. Having said that, it wouldn't kill you to take 2 seconds and check the forms when you SIGN them. The DROS printout that you signed would have shown what address they put in.

ohsmily
02-11-2009, 7:22 PM
I'll have to add that place to my list of "never go there again" places.

I've done business with the "Shooting Gallery" in Vacaville and they were friendly and competent - should've asked around, maybe saved yourself a headache.

He could have asked around all he wanted, the Shooting Gallery is closed.

gdr_11
02-11-2009, 7:53 PM
Well, I did to intend to start a "bash GF&S" thread, but it would appear this is what it turned into.

With that said, the comments about me not proofing the DROS document are right on. I screwed up by erring on tbe side of assuming the FFL would be doing my paperwork correctly. On the other hand, you know what they say about ASSUME.

There are fewer FFLs willing to put up with Kalif. and Fed b.s., so I don't want to bash any store; just be honest with you guys about what happened.

As for me, it won't happen again.

sorensen440
02-11-2009, 7:56 PM

Then again that is why people who shop with me like my customer service and only people who don't know me think I am some jerk because they don't get my online sense of humor.
You mean you dont really hate all of your customers ? ;)

devildog999
02-11-2009, 8:24 PM
Sorry to hear :(

You should visit this thread, should be able to help you ;) Just a little thearpy...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=131544

tenpercentfirearms
02-11-2009, 8:44 PM
You mean you dont really hate all of your customers ? ;)
No it is kind of crazy. I appreciate my in shop customers who come in and I get to take care of them. I feel it is a positive reflection on me when we can take care of a customer's wants and needs.

I just tire of the same old whiners on Calguns and since I have stopped shipping, I have stopped being so nice to them. Some people would complain about a free lunch on here. So I use my sarcastic wit to have fun with them. They aren't the ones coming into my shop and if you are so sensitive that you are turned off by my Internet humor, no big loss.

Again, those that actually come into my shop will tell you how we run our business. Those that have never done business with me complain. You decide who has more credibility.

In this case, I would have just crossed out MY error on the DROS and the utility bill and proper ID would be proof enough for me if an auditor asked. So your address isn't correct in their little database. It won't be correct when you move either, so what is the difference?

1911 in 916
02-12-2009, 2:03 AM
Do they still have a no PPT on weekends or when they are too busy policy?

ENTHUSIAST
02-12-2009, 3:24 AM
Big 5 totally screwed the pooch and used the wrong form once!!! :eek:

They made me drive back in and fill out a new form. Luckily it was the same day...

When I came in they ended up doing a "Managers Discount" 5% off AND they picked up the DROS amount in FULL!

I had no probs taking some cash back just for driving back there and filling out paperwork but I was only 10 mins away *YMMV.

*Your Milage May Very (LITERALLY!) :D

gdr_11
02-12-2009, 10:00 AM
This is what I recommend to all. It's standard practice for me to request a copy.

Question to the OP, and I think you dropped the ball on this one. Why didn't you look over the DROS when it was given to you to verify, sign and thumbprint? Seems that would have avoided all the wait and anguish. Mistakes do occur, but it looks like the OP should share in some of the responsibility.

Don't think I haven't been kicking myself all day long for exactly this. I guess my usual insistence on rereading everything was weakened by the excitement of scoring such a good deal. I was literally speeding to the shop when he called me and told me he was there, because I was sure he would tell someone what he was selling me the gun for and they would offer him more $ to back out on me. When he had my $ and I had the gun in hand, all caution went out the door.

Next time, I will spend so much time going over every detail, the FFL will be pushing me to finish by closing time.:D

cactus
02-12-2009, 10:16 AM
I saw that 1911 on CL if it wasnt for my wife seeing an e-mail I would have been all over it. Good score!

gdr_11
02-12-2009, 1:15 PM
I saw that 1911 on CL if it wasnt for my wife seeing an e-mail I would have been all over it. Good score!

Yeah, I may have lost an extra 7 days in the DROS, but I am still smiling about the deal!:thumbsup:

wboughton
02-12-2009, 2:45 PM
I've got a 14 day wait on a Remington 700 SPS Varmint at a store in Chico as they are requiring that the rifle be shipped first then DROS'd instead of getting the serials when the rifle was ordered. Keep in mind I ordered the rifle on Monday of this week, and they JUST placed the order, so I have to wait another 10 days upon arrival, meaning....well...end of the month. This is ridiculous, never doing business with this store again.

D1911
02-12-2009, 6:20 PM
Geez, I've done a few PPTs there and bought a couple of consignment guns from them and never had any issues. I routinely stop by on my way home from work and chat with the guys and look for any consignment stuff. Sorry to hear about your experience.

gdr_11
02-12-2009, 7:47 PM
It is good to hear some positive feedback about this place in light of all the bad press this thread brought out.

Prior to this experience, I had no problems with them other than the fact their hardware prices are a bit high. I have shot at the range a number of times and bought ammo, cleaning equip., etc.

Again, the intent of the thread was "this is what happened to me; anyone else have this experience, etc.".

Sure I am ticked off, but I'll get over it and just be extra vigilent next time.

I am curious, however, about how they will react when I do finally go in to pick up the gun. That will truly tell the tale.

gaucho750
02-12-2009, 10:38 PM
They will probably glare at you and start cussing a little just to make sure you don't come back... I went in there once doing some research on a pistol for my grandmother and I couldn't believe the language coming out of their mouths. Every other word was the f-word. My only thought was, "I am NOT bringing my grandma to this store." To say the least, their customer service kinda sucks. I only go there if I run out of reloading supplies and need some in a hurry. If I have time I go down to Elk Grove.

Turbinator
02-13-2009, 3:16 PM
No slight against the OP intended, but I'm really surprised with all this info out there on Guns, Fishing, and Etc, that people still go there. Odd.

Turby

kcs1211
02-13-2009, 5:21 PM

I don't want to take over your thread, but after the unbelievable experience I had there, I will never set foot in that store again. It's a shame because the idiot sales manager is ruining the business that the owner tried to build and he should have been fired a long time ago.

+1

The worst experience I've ever had at a gunshop.
I picked up a cheap pistol, very cheap there, Phoenix Arms, I knew I was buying a POS, but for the price......so what. The verbal bashing I recieved when I picked it up, AFTER they had lost my paperwork was terrible.

Never again. I won't even step foot in that place.

gdr_11
02-23-2009, 7:19 PM
Just to let you all know, I finally picked up my gun today and, as expected, the guys working the counter saw no reason for giving me anything for the trouble they caused me by screwing up the paperwork. I had a moment's panic when they could not find my 1911 in the back room, but after a 15 minute search they emerged with it after I told them the color of the box.

All I can say is I hope they got a good look at my West end as I went out the East door.