PDA

View Full Version : Deputies respond to call of a shotgun in mall parking structure

active_shooter
02-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Apparently its illegal so say "I have a shotgun".

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/suspect-deputies-mission-2305827-viejo-structure

Deputies respond to call of a shotgun in mall parking structure
Someone was heard saying they had a shotgun, but no one has been found, officials say.
By SALVADOR HERNANDEZ
The Orange County Register
Comments 0 | Recommend 0

MISSION VIEJO Deputies are searching for a man who was overheard saying that he had a shotgun during a verbal argument inside a parking structure at the Shops at Mission Viejo, authorities said.

Deputies with the Orange County Sheriff's Department responded to the mall at about 12:30 p.m. and are searching the area, but have found no one matching the description of the suspect, said Lt. Ted Boyne.

The suspect was heard saying "I have a shotgun," inside a parking structure near Nodstrom, 555 The Shops at Mission Viejo, Boyne said. Deputies have notified security but have not found the suspect.

Details to come.

Cypren
02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Apparently its illegal so say "I have a shotgun".

No, not quite.

Deputies are searching for a man who was overheard saying that he had a shotgun during a verbal argument inside a parking structure at the Shops at Mission Viejo, authorities said.

There's the important phrase. Telling a person during a heated argument that you have a shotgun is almost certainly going to be construed by a jury as a threat to commit a "crime which will result in death or great bodily injury to another person, with the specific intent that the statement, made verbally, ... is to be taken as a threat, even if there is no intent of actually carrying it out," and that it will "convey to the person threatened, a gravity of purpose and an immediate prospect of execution of the threat, and thereby causes that person reasonably to be in sustained fear for his or her own safety." (PC 422)

A jury might disagree, but it's more than enough for an officer to make an arrest and let the court hash it out.

tyrist
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Just imagine a witness calling 911 saying "there are these two guys in the parking structure fighting and one of them said he has a shotgun".

Now how do you think the police are going to respond? It will also be appropriate.

Ground Loop
02-11-2009, 8:34 PM
Um, sorry guys.. I think it was me.

I was heading back from a heavy carne-asada lunch with my two coworkers, and the rear seat of his Corrolla is really uncomfortable, so just to establish seating rights, I yelled "I've got shotgun!" and thus laid claim the passenger seat.

Sorry to have wasted valuable officer time.

jmf_tracy
02-11-2009, 9:25 PM

I was heading back from a heavy carne-asada lunch with my two coworkers, and the rear seat of his Corrolla is really uncomfortable, so just to establish seating rights, I yelled "I've got shotgun!" and thus laid claim the passenger seat.

:laugh:

sorensen440
02-11-2009, 9:27 PM
During a fight someone says they have a gun ? yeah the police need to come check it out.

yellowfin
02-11-2009, 9:29 PM
I'd bet $10 that's exactly what happened, too. Um, sorry guys.. I think it was me.

pullnshoot25
02-11-2009, 10:09 PM

Dude, no joke, right? If so, that is hilarious!

Meplat
02-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Not only is this a waist of officer time, it's stupid. I learned long ago that trying to intimidate with a real gun, that can be seen, is stupid. Trying to intimidate with the threat that you have a gun is insane. If you are going to shoot the son of a *****, shoot him. Don't talk about it.:D

During a fight someone says they have a gun ? yeah the police need to come check it out.

ivanimal
02-11-2009, 10:37 PM
Soon we wont be able to mention guns without scrutiny of some sort......... I hate pansies.

pneutin
02-12-2009, 9:18 AM
Maybe it was closer to this...

A: Hey want to go to the range later and try out my new Remington 870 Express?
B: Dude that rifle looks so lame!
A: No, I've got a shotgun!
B: But it's got that shoulder thing that goes up and the pistol grip thingie going down. I'm pretty sure you have a rifle.
A: I've got a shotgun!

CSACANNONEER
02-12-2009, 9:37 AM
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive.............

Crap, now I'm afraid to listen to music in a parking lot.

jb7706
02-12-2009, 10:23 AM
Soon we wont be able to mention guns without scrutiny of some sort......... I hate pansies.

Talk of guns will now be classified as "hate speech" and treated accoringly. :puke:

vrand
02-12-2009, 10:24 AM
Not only is this a waist of officer time, it's stupid. I learned long ago that trying to intimidate with a real gun, that can be seen, is stupid. Trying to intimidate with the threat that you have a gun is insane. If you are going to shoot the son of a *****, shoot him. Don't talk about it.:D

Nice quote from the bandit Tuco :thumbsup:

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly :thumbsup: