PDA

View Full Version : Ade's under new ownership?

Casual Observer
02-11-2009, 11:55 AM
I heard from a friend today that Ade has found a buyer for his shop. Supposedly it's a father-daughter team and the father owns a couple of pawn shops already and they want my buddy to get his guns out as soon as possible.

Anyone else have news on this? It's sorry to see Ade go, but his health has been failing for a while (IIRC) and this was a long time in coming if it's true.

Stormfeather
02-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Hopefully a new gun store in the making!

Black Majik
02-11-2009, 12:06 PM
If it's true I hope they father/daughter doesn't change anything about "Ade's Gunshop."

It's like the Calguns hangout spot in Orange County.

The SoCal Gunner
02-11-2009, 12:35 PM
If it's true I hope they father/daughter doesn't change anything about "Ade's Gunshop."

It's like the Calguns hangout spot in Orange County.

Well some things need to change.

For instance the salesman should show the customer the 1911 that is all the way down and in the back of the case instead of just saying he doesn't know what type of Colt that is and then going back to chit chatting with the same customer who the salesman has been bsing with for the past 10 min.

Said customer couldn't see the price but thought it looked like a Series 70 Gold Cup with custom work. I could tell the customer wanted to buy a gun because he had his paper work and a wad of cash. He ended up not getting anything.

Fate
02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Wonder if the "daughter" is the young lady that was posting here about 6 months ago inquiring about actually buying Ade's. If so, that's cool that her dream came to fruition. :thumbsup:

Doggboy
02-11-2009, 12:38 PM
If that is true, it is very sad news. Ade is a great guy, it is sad to hear his health is so bad. I wish him the best of luck.

If the new owner(s) are asking your friend to get his guns out that probably not a good sign :(

ke6guj
02-11-2009, 12:41 PM
If the new owner(s) are asking your friend to get his guns out that probably not a good sign :(

it depends on how/why his guns are there. If its stuff that he hasn't DROSed yet, that could just be an inventory issue they'd rather not have.. If they are cosigned firearms, then the paperwork issues could be major. If Ade transfers them from his book to the new owner's book, are they still considered cosigned, and Roster-exempt?

Casual Observer
02-11-2009, 12:43 PM

I don't want to spread FUD, but there might be paperwork issues that are the reason.

Of course it might have to do with the fact my friend has over 100 firearms there (at last count).

The SoCal Gunner
02-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Or the new owner may not want to deal with OLLs.

Fate
02-11-2009, 12:45 PM
Of course it might have to do with the fact my friend has over 100 firearms there (at last count).
100?!? Is he paying rent? LOL

Casual Observer
02-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Or the new owner may not want to deal with OLLs.

They are not OLLs. They are C&R handguns.

But we're getting off topic. Let's get back to info on Ade's and the transfer of ownership.

zman
02-11-2009, 12:55 PM
Well some things need to change.

For instance the salesman should show the customer the 1911 that is all the way down and in the back of the case instead of just saying he doesn't know what type of Colt that is and then going back to chit chatting with the same customer who the salesman has been bsing with for the past 10 min.

Said customer couldn't see the price but thought it looked like a Series 70 Gold Cup with custom work. I could tell the customer wanted to buy a gun because he had his paper work and a wad of cash. He ended up not getting anything.

Hmmmm....is this the "bigger" "tall-ish" guy? I was there for the first time last month on a weekend. I am searching for a new 9mm at that time. This "guy" has an attitude problem to say the least plus he also kept chatting/BSing with a bystander. I said to myself, "I don't need this $h!t!" and left - a total of 3 to 5 minutes in the store. A customer and potential buyer lost.

Rhyyke
02-11-2009, 1:07 PM
i was just there the other day and he didnt say anything about selling. i sure hope its not true, tho if his health is going then the man deserves to take rest and devote what time he needs to that then.

im young and relatively new to firearms (turning 23 this year). i bought my first firearm last year, at a time when turners was the only gun store i knew anything about. since then ive hit up every gun store i know about in orange county; grant boys, j & j, oc armory, both turners', fowler's, and even some in the LA area (the infamous metroshot). ive had some good experiences at alot of them, none of them compare to ade's, which has always been my favorite. the level of customer service ive experienced there is simply unparalleled. he'll gladly show me anything and explain it in detail, and if he doesnt have it he will refer you to someone who might. ive even seen him call his distributor on the spot to find out if he can find an item. thats customer service that i think is unfound anywhere else.

as i tell all my friends (many of whom discover the joy of firearms around the same time i did), ade's was the first place i went to that felt like how i imagined a gun shop should; i liked ade from the moment i met him; he was friendly and patiently answered all my questions, questions that when i asked at turner's i would be greeted with "the attitude". there was never such a problem from ade himself or any of the guys who work there, they are genuinely a great group. his store is the only one ive ever found that has that old school kind of intimacy of a gun store, the only place i feel like i can drop in and just browse/chat for a bit.

haha, im not sure how this turned into a whole rant about ade's, but as you can tell i really do like the guy, in a way he's kind of a grandfatherly figure to me. i've referred all my friends there, and do my best to run any prospective business i have by him before i go somewhere else. if he is selling, im sorry to see him go, i have a feeling that with the way things are going his kind of operation is vanishing, and i'll be telling people about "this little shop called ade's" long into the future. if anything, im sorry he's selling before i am ready to be the buyer :D.

Physical Graffiti
02-15-2009, 8:37 PM
Hey guys, this is Steve from Ade's.

I just wanted to let the community know that we are keeping things as similar as possible. We aren't upping our transfer fees and we WILL still be doing OLLs. In fact there are a few things that we will be trying to improve:

First, MORE HOURS. No more lining up at 1:00PM hoping we'll get the doors open ASAP, or rushing to the store at 3:15 on a saturday wondering if you'll make the 3:30 deadline.

The new owner is very nice, and although she doesn't have the knowledge Ade does, I'm sure she'll do just fine keeping you guys happy.

Nobody loves my store like me, and nobody would hate to see any changes made more than I would, and I can tell you in all honesty, our prices and quality of service aren't changing anytime soon.

As far as I know, they are keeping the name.

gunsmithcats
02-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Ade is the man. He'll be sorely missed if he leaves.

azn_wrx
02-15-2009, 10:54 PM
Well at least Andrew is still working.

andrewj
02-15-2009, 11:19 PM
Well at least Andrew is still working.

I always enjoy stopping by Ade's. I havent had any unpleasant visits. Andrew was always the most helpful for me too.

However, their hours blow

Kruzr
02-16-2009, 9:21 AM
Does the new owner understand the difference (and business priority) between someone asking questions on the phone and someone standing in front of you with cash in hand?

AmericasFirstFreedom
02-16-2009, 2:25 PM
Hello, everyone.

I had asked Ade to transfer a replacement pistol from a manufacturer due to some defect that warranted an outright replacement when I sent it in to have some functionality issues checked out. Unfortunately, the M1911 I am waiting on is on back-order - and has been for the past three weeks with no definitive ETA. Obviously, I wasn't sure how this is going to work out if Ade moves on. He was kind enough to explain to me and asked me to clarify his status:

[...] something on CalGuns to clarify my status. I am selling the store-it has been for sale over two years. The new owners will take some time to secure all necessary licenses, etc.

I will still remain in the shop for some time. Several months as usual and then probably a couple of days a week for some after this. I am almost 74 and need to spend time with grandchildren and family.

My FFL is current until 2012 and when the new owners FFL comes through, everything will be transferred to this FFL. The shop will still be here and hopefully operating as I have done over the past 10+ years in Orange, and 9+ years in Big Bear.

I hope he gets to spend more time with his grandchildren as I'm sure he's earned his retirement many times over - but I hope he also manages to find some time for his "Calguns children / grandchildren" :thumbsup:

azn_wrx
02-16-2009, 2:54 PM
I always enjoy stopping by Ade's. I havent had any unpleasant visits. Andrew was always the most helpful for me too.

However, their hours blow

I always had a good time when Gregg was working there too.

:thumbsup: to Ade.

gunsmithcats
02-16-2009, 3:05 PM
Ade is 74? Holy geez. I thought more like late 50's. Man hides his age well.

slowjonn
02-16-2009, 4:43 PM
Ade, I wish you the best! Ade is one of the nicest, most upstanding guys I know. There was a tiime I was buying and selling like crazy. Sometimes the owe/ pay sheet on me was really crazy. Ade always took me at my word on what I had already paid or on what I still owed. What a great, friendly place to deal guns. I'm glad he will still be around part time.

Greg was always great to deal with, I miss him. Andrew is always helpful and fun to harrass. I really hope the new owners continue to build relationships with their customers like Ade has. I hope they have the same "If its legal, we will do it" attitude that Ade has. I look forward to meeting the new owners.

JohnnyBangBang
03-06-2009, 9:03 PM
I was just at Ade's last Saturday and all was well. I hadn't noticed then but when I went by today was surprized to see they were open early.
The new owner has extended the hours. Nothing else has changed same great service, good selection and Ade will still be coming a few days a week as he pleases.
The new hours are M-F 10-6 & Sat 10-3:30.

GlockOn
03-08-2009, 12:43 PM
To address some issues, the gentleman who was asked to move his guns to another dealer was someone who had an ENTIRE safe (LITERALLY) full of guns at Ade's. It wasn't due to paperwork issues but rather that this guy had been using Ade for free storage for well over a year. He was not making any serious attempt to resolve the 100+ gun backup he had. Most were handguns, so it would only take a little over 8 years at one a month for him to DROS all of them. The new owner didn't want to inherit this issue. Casual Observer is mistaken, Ade's health isn't failing, he's fine. He will still be there. We are remaining OLL friendly. I am the "bigger" "tallish" guy. LoL.

Capt. Speirs
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Turners in Orange told me about the purchase a couple a days ago and he added that the new owner also owned J and J Armory. Anyone know about this?

NoSmoke
03-08-2009, 11:48 PM
Does the new owner understand the difference (and business priority) between someone asking questions on the phone and someone standing in front of you with cash in hand?

I witnessed that the other day also and thought that was extremely rude, especially with the place full of customers waiting to be helped. If it were mine, no employee would be chit chatting on the phone..... EVER!

For those that believe in the SHTF idea, it is probably a good time to be getting out of the business...... (if ya know what I mean).

I hope Ade has a great retirement! He is a great guy to deal with.

neomentat
03-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I witnessed that the other day also and thought that was extremely rude, especially with the place full of customers waiting to be helped. If it were mine, no employee would be chit chatting on the phone..... EVER!

For those that believe in the SHTF idea, it is probably a good time to be getting out of the business...... (if ya know what I mean).

I hope Ade has a great retirement! He is a great guy to deal with.

How do you know Ade isn't getting out of the business for potential Obama SHTF? After all he sold his business at it's prime. (smart guy)

ohemma
03-23-2009, 1:56 AM
In response to Mr Kruzr.....EVERYONE in my store deserves the same
quality of customer service, being on the phone, being face to face,
or whatever the situation may be. I am Emily, the new owner of
Ades gun shop and we are very familiar to the urgency that is
required in servicing our loyal customers. We are experienced fully
and dedicated to our timely transactions. We literally receive hundreds
of calls a day, and yes, many times we have to explain to new potential
customers the ins and outs of the transfer process. We take pride
in giving phone customers the same level of respect as our many, many
loyal returning customers. We apologize for any inconvience it has caused
you in the past. Phone customers spend just as much money on the phone
as customers in the store due to special orders or gunbroker. I hope this
clears up any problems you had with us in the past and give our friendly
shop another visit. I have extended the hours to almost double the time
that we are open for everyones convience. Thanks.........;)

wcmaas
03-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Best of luck in your new endeavor. You guys are still first on my "go to" list!

On another note -- Ade is 74? I'm 54 and I wish I looked as good as he does! Let him know, will ya? :)