PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding the legality of engravings on home made lowers.

Steve O
02-11-2009, 10:29 AM
So I'm going to have some work done on some 0% lowers.
I have a machinist who will bring them to 80% and he also does engravings.

Now I thought it would be cool to have my family name engraved on to my lowers as "Smith Arms" then SS-15 and serial numbers. But would this imply a licensed manufacturer???

And would this type of engraving be legal?
For me and the machinist bringing the O% to 80% and doing the engravings?

I would be the only one bringing this 80% to a fire arm status as a home build. And I NEVER have the intent to sell.

-hanko
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
Now I thought it would be cool to have my family name engraved on to my lowers as "Smith Arms" then SS-15 and serial numbers. But would this imply a licensed manufacturer???

And would this type of engraving be legal?
For me and the machinist bringing the O% to 80% and doing the engravings?

I would be the only one bringing this 80% to a fire arm status as a home build. And I NEVER have the intent to sell.
:confused:The only thing that 'implies' you're a licensed manufacturer is an ATF license. You can write anything you want on the receiver, or nothing at all.

The engraving is legal for you and the machinest since an 80%-er is not a gun.

Go to the ATF website and read about marking.;)

-hanko

Lateralus
02-11-2009, 12:20 PM
0% being..... block of aluminum?

80% being..... what?

Just be careful and discrete and youll be good to go.

About the SS-15. There is no legal obligation to do or not do it. Manufacturers (FFL whatever numbers) are required to put serials and location, but not home brewers. JUST DONT NAME IT AR-15. Unless you like getting loved on by a man known only as "The Beast".

Steve O
02-11-2009, 9:07 PM
ok. yea that's what I thought, but the engraver has his fears.