PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Distance Learning school through military.

KUJO
02-11-2009, 9:24 AM
Hello, I just had a few questions about Distance Learning school through the military. I am a PFC (Getting SPC this weekend) In the Army National Guard. I am currently Taking classes through ACCP, The Army Reserve Knowledge Portal, Marinesnet, And the Defense Ammunition Center. I wanted to find out if any of you know of any other Distance learning courses I should be taking? I am trying to max out my promotion points for military ed. Or maybe any other pointers to help me pick up SGT as fast as possible. Eligible in Feb 2010.

I also suggest no matter what branch you are in, if you can, take the Defense Ammunition Center courses they are full of interesting and valuable information. If you are in the army you can get Credit hours for Military ed. And you can also get some of there classes transferred to College credits. (through ACE) Which means more promotion points.

And if you are just looking for some interesting DL classes, FEMA has there Emergency Management Institute, Independent Study, these are also worth College credits, but are more difficult and costly to get.

Thanks

smokingloon
02-11-2009, 3:06 PM
I don't know anything about the Army's educational system but I have some knowledge on the Marine Corps Institute. We had these courses called MCIs where you ordered a packet about a certain subject such as leadership skills, welding, engine repair, etc. In this packet there was a book, test, and a scantron. You read the book, took the test, and send the answer sheet back to be graded. It was required to do certain MCIs and a certain number of them to help with promotion.
I was always told that I could transfer some of these courses to a accredited college. I had over 20 of them and my college accepted 0.
If you want something that will be beneficial for when you get out of the service, take a distance learning course from an accredited college.

You should be able to get Tuition Assistance. I believe it covers up to 4k a year. Your base should have an educational center where you can talk to someone that help you out with all this.

KUJO
02-11-2009, 3:20 PM
I know a lot about MCI. I did 8 and a half years in the Young Marines. It is a youth program that is funded by the Marine Corps, and The Marine Corps League. And I know a lot of people that are in the Marines now. So I have learned about the distance learning for the Marines and the Army. I have already looked into the MCI, I can take them through Marinesnet, I am currently taking some and I am just looking for a local E-4 or higher from the Marines Corps that can procter the exams for me.

Also those classes that you took will transfer to colledge credits. You should have gotten a transcript listing what classes you took then go to The American Council On Education and there will be course names or codes, They will transfer them to college credits, then all you have to do is join ACE, after that ACE will issue you a seperate transcript that most college with accept. Its a lengthy process, but it is well worth it.

I don't know anything about the Army's educational system but I have some knowledge on the Marine Corps Institute. We had these courses called MCIs where you ordered a packet about a certain subject such as leadership skills, welding, engine repair, etc. In this packet there was a book, test, and a scantron. You read the book, took the test, and send the answer sheet back to be graded. It was required to do certain MCIs and a certain number of them to help with promotion.
I was always told that I could transfer some of these courses to a accredited college. I had over 20 of them and my college accepted 0.
If you want something that will be beneficial for when you get out of the service, take a distance learning course from an accredited college.

You should be able to get Tuition Assistance. I believe it covers up to 4k a year. Your base should have an educational center where you can talk to someone that help you out with all this.

smokingloon
02-11-2009, 4:14 PM
I know a lot about MCI. I did 8 and a half years in the Young Marines. It is a youth program that is funded by the Marine Corps, and The Marine Corps League. And I know a lot of people that are in the Marines now. So I have learned about the distance learning for the Marines and the Army. I have already looked into the MCI, I can take them through Marinesnet, I am currently taking some and I am just looking for a local E-4 or higher from the Marines Corps that can procter the exams for me.

Also those classes that you took will transfer to colledge credits. You should have gotten a transcript listing what classes you took then go to The American Council On Education and there will be course names or codes, They will transfer them to college credits, then all you have to do is join ACE, after that ACE will issue you a seperate transcript that most college with accept. Its a lengthy process, but it is well worth it.

I already got the transcript from the SMART system sent over to my college. The reality is that none of the MCIs were not accepted by my college.

If you just need an e-4 to proctor, than just ask someone on calguns or go to your local recruiters office.

KUJO
02-11-2009, 4:17 PM
But you need to get your transcripts sent to ace. Ace has to evaluate it first then they will tell you what is accredited and give you a new transcript from them that will reflect the college credits then you take the new ACE transcript to your college.

I already got the transcript from the SMART system sent over to my college. The reality is that none of the MCIs were not accepted by my college.

If you just need an e-4 to proctor, than just ask someone on calguns or go to your local recruiters office.