PDA

View Full Version : Britain: Nanny State Police Crashing 25th Wedding Anniversary Party

02-11-2009, 9:05 AM
Helicopters, masked police, snipers on the roof, all the works. The reason? Somebody got scared of guns. Nope, not real guns; those are banned in England. Toy guns carried by the partygoers as props for the Wild West themed party.

FoxNews: Guests of a wild west-themed costume party got a scare when a posse of armed police officers stormed into the hootenanny thinking toy guns carried by partygoers were real, several British media outlets reported.

The festivities were held Saturday by Roy and Val Worthington of Leicestershire, England, to celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. But the celebration quickly turned into a disaster when three police cars and a helicopter showed up to investigate, the BBC reported.

"It was a bit over the top with the helicopter," Roy Worthington told the BBC.

The Leicestershire Police Department, however, defended the party crashing.

“We have a duty to treat all reports of firearms as genuine,” a police spokeswoman told the Daily Mail newspaper.

In an interview with the BBC, Val Worthington claimed that she had called police last November to notify them that some of her guests may be carrying toy guns.

For video go here (http://transsylvaniaphoenix.blogspot.com/2009/02/britain-nanny-state-police-crashing.html).

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-11-2009, 9:43 AM
There's England, setting the example to show us that we could still be slightly more screwed up than we are. Some parties I've been to those would have been real guns.

SwissFluCase
02-11-2009, 10:06 AM
So who are the cowboys here?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

ptoguy2002
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Back in the day when I grew up in Bakersifeld, those were real guns.

wash
02-11-2009, 1:58 PM
That's nothing, I had nine squad cars and a helicopter break up one of my parties.

Salty
02-11-2009, 3:59 PM
That's nothing, I had nine squad cars and a helicopter break up one of my parties.

Do tell!

CCWFacts
02-11-2009, 4:36 PM
It seems like some master criminal there could steal the crown jewels using the following strategy:

Recruit about 100 minor accomplices
Have these accomplices present themselves with fake guns at various locations around London or whatever, ideally with some excuse or deniability factor (be creative, maybe for some gun-themed movie opening or something)
London PD must dispatch all 100 of its SWAT teams and helicopters all around town
Leaving the real targets undefended and unable to get help
Walk in and take the crown jewels

Isn't there a factor that the more overblown the responses are, it actually have a detrimental effect on real security and preparedness, and it makes it easy for real evil-doers to manipulate law enforcement? Why doesn't anyone ever talk about the very real danger of overreacting?

Cypren
02-11-2009, 4:40 PM
:eek: CCWFacts is really Danny Ocean!

wash
02-11-2009, 5:07 PM
Do tell!
UCLA had just beat USC.

We had kegs.

Our apartment was full, the apartment courtyard was full, the street in front of our apartment was full, I would have to guess at least 600 people. Then the cops showed up and told everyone to go home. But they brought 9 squad cars and a helicopter to do it.

We had beer and booze but were not checking I.D., the cops didn't hassle us after it ended peacefully. They were probably UCLA fans.

fairfaxjim
02-11-2009, 6:00 PM
We had beer and booze but were not checking I.D., the cops didn't hassle us after it ended peacefully. They were probably UCLA fans.

Did they confiscate the beer?? They were probably beer fans. :D

wash
02-12-2009, 7:51 AM
The police did not confiscate the beer.

There wasn't much beer left at that point so the police quite possibly defused a bad situation for us, but there was enough left for us all to get drunk the next day.