View Full Version : Laws on transfering rifles/shotguns.

02-11-2009, 8:50 AM
I have several deer rifles and shotguns that are 100% legal here no question about it. I've had these guns for many years now. All of these guns were gifted to me by my father and my grandfather. Do I need to have transfer paperwork filled out to be 'legal'? Thanks for any help.


02-11-2009, 11:30 AM
Long guns arent registered, only handguns. You are good to go.

02-11-2009, 3:08 PM
Thanks for the response Lateralus. That answers my question.

02-11-2009, 3:15 PM
The above answer is correct, but is limited in scope.

While traditional long guns indeed aren't registered, most folks just can't hand them back'n'forth to each other without going thru an FFL dealer.

And transfers crossing state lines most always have to go thru an FFL.

However, between CA residents the intrafamily exemption in 12078PC allows specified lineal family members (grandparent/parent/child/grandchild) to transfer guns between each other within CA without use of an FFL dealer.

[For this, no paperwork is required for long guns, but handgun recipients need to hold a valid HSC and file paperwork/fees with DOJ within 30 days of handgun transfers.]