PDA

View Full Version : Are parts kits a no-no in Cali?

eric90503
02-11-2009, 9:44 AM
Inquired about a parts kit on arfcom and this is what I got...

I'm sorry.and it's nothing personal, but after reading the California dangerous weapon law of 2008, the wording spooked me swsy from Cali sales..I just don't need anymore headaches in my life.

# 12200. The term "machinegun" as used in this chapter means any weapon which shoots, is designed to shoot, or can readily be restored to shoot, automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger. The term shall also include the frame or receiver of any such weapon, any part designed and intended solely and exclusively, or combination of parts designed and intended, for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun, and any combination of parts from which a machinegun can be assembled if such parts are in the possession or under the control of a person. The term also includes any weapon deemed by the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms as readily convertible to a machinegun under Chapter 53 (commencing with Section 5801) of Title 26 of the United States Code.

bwiese
02-11-2009, 9:52 AM
You're reading the definition of machinegun, which also includes 'constructive possession' phrasing.

1.) You should not have any parts that are exclusively for MG usage and not used in semiautos. Thus, don't have FA fire control groups. (You won't need original parts anyway for most builds since US-mfgd 922(r) compliance parts will likely be needed.)

2.) You shouldn't have any receiver that has any "naughty holes" in it

3.) Parts common to any rifle build (semiauto, etc.) are fine to have/acquire.

4.) Grenade launchers (like on unmodified Yugo M59/66 carbines) can be intrinsically illegal whether or not on the rifle. Make sure you don't have one.

5.) You should NOT acquire/possess a short barrel (under 16"), unless
already lengthened to 16" thru perm muzzle attachment) if you already
own a rifle/rifle receiver - this way you avoid Fed/state SBR issues.

6.) Make sure your parts kit vendor understands you want only legal
parts. Send orders in via letter+ email to have a trail in case their
$5/hr warehouseman in backwoods South Carolina stuffs the wrong
parts in the box.

7.) Be aware that many parts kits contain at least 1 hicap magazine.
Make sure that is NOT shipped. Asking for it to be shipped in parts may end up being forgotten.

eric90503
02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
"by a single function of the trigger" could have been worded, "by one single single function of the trigger", perhaps.

Thanks for your infinite wisdom, again.

btw, receivers with "naughty holes" are fun! hahaa..