PDA

View Full Version : Questions regarding the legality of engravings on home made lowers.

Steve O
02-11-2009, 1:09 AM
So I'm going to have some work done on some 0% lowers.
I have a machinist who will bring them to 80% and he also does engravings.

Now I thought it would be cool to have my family name engraved on to my lowers as "Smith Arms" then SS-15 and serial numbers. But would this imply a licensed manufacturer???

And would this type of engraving be legal?
For me and the machinist bringing the O% to 80% and doing the engravings?

I would be the only one bringing this 80% to a fire arm status as a home build. And I NEVER have the intent to sell.

freakshow10mm
02-12-2009, 10:36 AM
But would this imply a licensed manufacturer???
Imply? Maybe. Matter? No.

And would this type of engraving be legal?
Yes. There is no requirement to engrave or mark a self built receiver for personal use. You can mark it with anything you want on it, if you so choose to mark it at all.

For me and the machinist bringing the O% to 80% and doing the engravings?
Yes, you must finish the receiver to an actual firearm. The "80%" rule isn't a steadfast rule, it is only industry/culture vernacular. There is some controversy over where the line is drawn. Some suggest once it can house a trigger, it's a firearm. I have not seen a letter or ruling from the ATF on this matter.

What is common now is to leave the fire control pocket solid so you have to mill that out and do the drilling of the holes for the pins. The mag well machining is a PITA unless you are using EDM. Using round end mills to machine a square hole. Just doesn't match up and there is hand finish work with this route.

I'd have your machinist bore and thread the stock tube hole too. The tap is $100 alone. He can easily bore and thread on a lathe.

Harrison_Bergeron
02-12-2009, 6:30 PM
When doing engraving for the purpose of legally selling your home built rifle are their any rules on what you put as the manufacturer? From my other reading I have been unable to tell if "Your Name" is recommended or mandatory. For the purpose of transferring a home build is it legal to come up with you own manufacturer name that does not include your legal name?