PDA

View Full Version : out of state registered handgun to ppt in california

american_shooter
02-11-2009, 12:50 AM
ok , a couple of years ago i moved to las vegas. i bought a handgun there and they do register handguns in las veags (clarks county). i recently moved back to california a few months ago, but i left my handgun in neveda. i did buy a handgun here in california recently about 3 months ago. question is - can i bring the gun from neveda whenever i want and register it or sell it? or do i have to do it soon? yes, the gun is on california roster list.

Quiet
02-11-2009, 12:55 AM
As long as the handgun is not classified as an assault weapon, you can bring it to CA.
And it does not matter if the handgun is on the approved list or not.

You can register it by sending in the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) form with applicable fees ($19 per handgun) to CA DOJ.
You have to register any handguns you bring with you within 60 days of moving to CA.
However, there is not penalty for registering after the 60 days.
CA DOJ will mail you back confirmation (expect anywhere from 4-12 weeks).

You could have sold the handgun within the 60 days of moving to CA without registering it.
However, since it sounds like you are past your 60 day window, you will need register it with CA DOJ prior to selling it.

american_shooter
02-11-2009, 7:46 AM
As long as the handgun is not classified as an assault weapon, you can bring it to CA.
And it does not matter if the handgun is on the approved list or not.

You can register it by sending in the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/ab991frm.pdf) form with applicable fees ($19 per handgun) to CA DOJ.
You have to register any handguns you bring with you within 60 days of moving to CA.
However, there is not penalty for registering after the 60 days.
CA DOJ will mail you back confirmation (expect anywhere from 4-12 weeks).

You could have sold the handgun within the 60 days of moving to CA without registering it.
However, since it sounds like you are past your 60 day window, you will need register it with CA DOJ prior to selling it.

how do they count the 60 day period? wuts the point of registering it again in my name since i am gonna sell it?

Vin496
02-11-2009, 8:55 AM
I'm not sure the 60 days means since you moved here. I always understood it as within 60 days of the GUN entering the State it must be registered.

You don't need to register it before you sell it, when it gets sold the new owner will DROS it and that will make it registered. All the State cares about is that it gets registered, they don't care how it got here as long as within 60 days of it entering the State it is registered.

Here is the info from the DoJ website

Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.
Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.
or

Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.
Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.

bwiese
02-11-2009, 11:31 AM
ok , a couple of years ago i moved to las vegas. i bought a handgun there and they do register handguns in las veags (clarks county). i recently moved back to california a few months ago, but i left my handgun in neveda. i did buy a handgun here in california recently about 3 months ago. question is - can i bring the gun from neveda whenever i want and register it or sell it? or do i have to do it soon? yes, the gun is on california roster list.

Don't sweat things... it's your gun already. You don't have to worry about the Roster.

Go to Vegas, bring it back. Fill out the DOJ's "New Resident Handgun Ownership Report" and pay the $19 (?) fee for this gun.

Ideally you do it within 60 days. However, if you happened to delay reporting and then filed the paperwork late, there's a cleanup provision in the law that stops any self-incrimination from late filing.

I do think you should probably do the above before attempting to sell the gun in CA, if you chose not to retain it.