PDA

View Full Version : Gatling guns

50BMGBOB
02-10-2009, 8:31 PM
Does anyone know if Gatling guns are legal in CA? I’m talking about a real Gatling gun with rotating barrels, not a crank added to a rifle. I saw a partial one at a gun show once but when I asked about whether it would be legal to finish it in CA the dealer got belligerent and talked of the ATF letters he had but couldn’t address the CADOJ so I passed. I have had others say it is legal but I haven’t talked to anyone who actually has one in CA.

I know that a “multiburst trigger activator” is defined as:

PC12020(a)(23) As used in this section, a "multiburst trigger activator" means one of the following devices: (A) A device designed or redesigned to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm which allows the firearm to discharge two or more shots in a burst by activating the device. (B) A manual or power-driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that when attached to a semiautomatic firearm it increases the rate of fire of that firearm.

A real Gatling gun wouldn’t match that description.

I’m thinking, if it is legal, of building a 22LR Gatling gun from scratch or at least from one of the many plans that are out there. I know I would be limited to a 10 round magazine but it would still be a fun project.

m1match
02-10-2009, 8:36 PM
I have seen two .22LR Gatling guns, steel, brass and wood replica's of the originals for sale at Discount Guns in San Diego, so yes they're legal. They were beautifully hand built pieces of art! If you remember, the Gatling magazine was a rotating mag on top that held stacks of cartridges. The one I saw, each stack held 10 rounds and each stack was considered a 10 rd. magazine. So you fired ten, rotated the assembly, and fired another 10. Oh, did I mention the price? They sold for about $25,000:43: The second one is still in the store for sale at that price.

CSACANNONEER
02-10-2009, 8:41 PM
I know someone who bought a BP replica a few years ago. He has brought it to Civil War re-enactments on state owned property without any problems. So, I'm pretty sure his is legal. But, I did read somewhere that if anyone named "BOB" makes one, he must make enough spare parts to build a second one and send them to his good friend CSA for safe keeping.

50BMGBOB
02-10-2009, 8:51 PM
Yes, the plans I like have brass barrels and use steel barrel liners. Lots of hand fitting. The mini 1919 in 22LR I did took me 9 months to build and it was a lot more complete when I started It was a Lakeside kit with a few mods to make it CA legal. A finished one is way more money than I have but If I take my time, trade hundreds of hours hand fitting and machining myself, I might be able to swing it.

Hunter
02-10-2009, 9:52 PM
Yes they are legal in Ca. :thumbsup:

tube_ee
02-10-2009, 11:51 PM
this. (http://www.csmcspecials.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=8748)

Cheap at half the price... :eek:

--Shannon

50BMGBOB
02-11-2009, 1:35 AM
One of the places sells the plans for $60, a complete materials package for $720, a functioning gun,un-finished(un-polished), no mount for $6300, and a complete gun, polished with carriage for $10,900. The price gives you an ideal of the amount of work it takes to finish one. Not a one weekend project.

bassgruvn
02-11-2009, 6:46 AM
Yes they are legal in Ca. :thumbsup:

Stunning :p

tonelar
02-11-2009, 9:18 AM
That's just beautiful;

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i202/tonelar/guns/GAT.jpg

motorhead
02-11-2009, 10:02 AM
when i was a kid i saw a real .45-70 gatling with limber in the dixie gunworks catalog. as i recall it was around $1500 (in 1960's $) and had to be shipped by rail. wouldn't you know it, mom said no. (bear in mind you could buy a new mustang for $2K then)
truly the most awesome of gatlings was the 1" model. i'll have to see if i can find pix.

Meplat
02-11-2009, 10:32 AM
Is .22RF not exempt from the 10rnd limit?

Does anyone know if Gatling guns are legal in CA? I’m talking about a real Gatling gun with rotating barrels, not a crank added to a rifle. I saw a partial one at a gun show once but when I asked about whether it would be legal to finish it in CA the dealer got belligerent and talked of the ATF letters he had but couldn’t address the CADOJ so I passed. I have had others say it is legal but I haven’t talked to anyone who actually has one in CA.

I know that a “multiburst trigger activator” is defined as:

PC12020(a)(23) As used in this section, a "multiburst trigger activator" means one of the following devices: (A) A device designed or redesigned to be attached to a semiautomatic firearm which allows the firearm to discharge two or more shots in a burst by activating the device. (B) A manual or power-driven trigger activating device constructed and designed so that when attached to a semiautomatic firearm it increases the rate of fire of that firearm.

A real Gatling gun wouldn’t match that description.

I’m thinking, if it is legal, of building a 22LR Gatling gun from scratch or at least from one of the many plans that are out there. I know I would be limited to a 10 round magazine but it would still be a fun project.

kermit
02-11-2009, 10:49 AM

I suppose that you may be able to put tubes parallel to the barrels

"A large capacity magazine means any ammunition feeding device with the capacity to accept more
than 10 rounds, but shall not be construed to include a feeding device that has been permanently
altered so that it cannot accommodate more than 10 rounds, a tubular magazine that is contained in
a lever-action firearm, or a .22 caliber tube ammunition feeding device. (Penal Code §12020(c)(25).)"

I think the idea of using removable, 10-round magazines, like in a Ruger Mark II, contained in a manually-rotated the drum may be more in keeping with the CA law and the original design.

CSACANNONEER
02-11-2009, 2:18 PM

NO!

motorhead
02-11-2009, 8:36 PM
actually, i was mistaken, here's one in 37mm. gotta love the russians.
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNRussian_37mm_Hotchkiss.htm

bplvr
02-11-2009, 8:55 PM
A Gattler is considered a single fire weapon in Ca, Turn the handle 5% and it fires once. The Battery Gun Co.makes some nice ones .They can have a .45/70 -250 round mag .They fire .45 /70 from a steel cartridge round . Gun ,Carriage and goodies run about $25,000.00 . Remember ,this is Black Powder...... ever see a BP AW ???

XDshooter
02-12-2009, 1:34 AM
EDIT, nevermind.

Multiburst trigger activators are illegal via 12020(a).

So that means an AR could be built to specifically use a crank wheel INSTEAD of a trigger.

That seems to comply.

50BMGBOB
02-12-2009, 11:43 PM
That would be questionable unless you built a new lower with the crank built in. Otherwise it is attached and woul be illegal. I wouldn't just modify an AR reciever.