PDA

View Full Version : Progun Democrat Gillibrand Now Flopping

Kestryll
02-10-2009, 3:02 PM
Nice.. She's going to 'evolve'....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/09/nyregion/09district.html?_r=1&em

SARATOGA SPRINGS, N.Y. — Now that Senator Kirsten E. Gillibrand represents all of New York rather than one conservative swath outside Albany, she has described her shift on hot-button issues like illegal immigration and gay marriage as a broadening of her position.

But in the 20th Congressional District, which first sent Ms. Gillibrand to Washington in 2006, many are taking it as an abandonment of the principles that persuaded them to support a Democrat in this predominantly Republican area.

“I don’t think it’s right when you say one thing and do something else,” said Michelle Boyea, 44, as she sat in her car after running errands around town. If you have a position, and this is what you feel, why would you change it just because you got a new job?”

Ms. Boyea was unhappy with Ms. Gillibrand’s sudden change of heart, after being appointed to the Senate, on issues that had won her re-election in November. She liked the voting record that had earned Ms. Gillibrand a 100 percent rating by the National Rifle Association (Ms. Boyea’s husband owns several firearms). She approved of Ms. Gillibrand’s hard line against illegal immigration and her opposition to gay marriage. “I’m Catholic,” Ms. Boyea said.

But Ms. Gillibrand has softened some of her positions in the weeks since her appointment. She declared her support for gay marriage, not merely civil unions. She assured Latinos and Asians in New York City that she would work to enact a path to citizenship for illegal immigrants. And she let Senator Charles E. Schumer, who had enthusiastically supported her selection, reassure downstate voters that she would “evolve” on gun control, too.

Bruce
02-10-2009, 3:09 PM
You're surprised? Demokrats have to tow the Party Line or else. Sort of like the way Stalin used to run things.
(I think it would be a great improvement if Pelosi were to grow a 'stasche. Reid too!) :D

hawk1
02-10-2009, 3:09 PM
She'll bend on firearms next. Just give her time...

nick
02-10-2009, 3:18 PM
Disgusting what politicians are allowed to get away with, no matter where they come from.

bwiese
02-10-2009, 3:30 PM
What she says in polite articles is less important than how she votes.

Her political success/future will still be linked more to upstate 'country' NY than the
teeming hordes in NYC.

She's not gonna get that many votes from NYC area and is gonna have to keep her base.

SwissFluCase
02-10-2009, 4:12 PM
Hold her feet to the fire...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

chris
02-10-2009, 4:14 PM
wow a demoKrat going to vote for gun control in the future. shocking

not.

SwissFluCase
02-10-2009, 4:22 PM
She's getting ragged on by Carolyn McCarthy in the news. I'm sure this is the most of it. She needs to hear from her constituents that she should tell the antis to go suck eggs. She's more likely to tell Schumer off if she knows the gunowners in New York are 100% behind her. She has an excellent record so far.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

sorensen440
02-10-2009, 4:23 PM
I really hope she is just trying to score points with them but have my doubts :(

not.
There are quite a few pro gun demoncrats actually

lioneaglegriffin
02-10-2009, 4:33 PM
I really hope she is just trying to score points with them but have my doubts :(

There are quite a few pro gun demoncrats actually

maybe she's serous maybe its a kool aid laced pacifier

Trench Broom
02-11-2009, 2:11 AM
How many politicians talk about one thing, and then vote for the opposite? Talk is cheap. Her voting record is the only thing that is factual ( that said, sending her phone calls and e-mails wouldn't hurt a bit ).

Boatz
02-11-2009, 5:56 AM
Gillibrand is a tough cookie... wait and see... I think she's going to do fine on gun issues.

Seems to me that supporting gay rights and gun rights are both issues of the "tyranny of the majority over the minority"...

Wait and see...

tonelar
02-11-2009, 8:23 AM
this is what happens when someone's selected / instead of elected into their office-

hopefully she's just paying Schumaker and co. LIP SERVICE on her evolving gun control stance.

This is the same state that voted for Hillary, right?

nat
02-11-2009, 8:52 AM
Gillibrand is a tough cookie... wait and see... I think she's going to do fine on gun issues.

Seems to me that supporting gay rights and gun rights are both issues of the "tyranny of the majority over the minority"...

Wait and see...

...x2

7x57
02-16-2009, 5:06 PM
More fuel for the endless debate, I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-usgill0217,0,903835.story

7x57

Steyr_223
02-16-2009, 5:10 PM
More fuel for the endless debate, I don't think this has been posted yet:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/politics/ny-usgill0217,0,903835.story

7x57

She is my hero! I wonder if they were AR or AKs? Hi cap 30rd mags?

;)

(02-16) 16:14 PST New York (AP) --

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, whose pro-gun stance has attracted criticism from fellow New York Democrats, has moved two rifles she kept under her bed for protection because of news reports about the weapons.

In a Newsday interview published earlier Monday, Gillibrand said she and her husband, Jonathan, kept the rifles to protect their upstate New York home. The couple has two young children.

Gillibrand spokesman Matt Canter told the newspaper in a story posted on the its Web site Monday evening that the rifles were removed for security reasons because their location had been reported. Gillibrand representatives didn't immediately return a telephone call from The Associated Press on Monday evening.

Canter said the rifles were not loaded and the Gillibrands follow gun-safety procedures. He would not say if they kept ammunition nearby.

Gillibrand was a little-known second-term congresswoman from a rural Republican district when she was tapped by Gov. David Paterson to fill the Senate seat vacated by Hillary Rodham Clinton.

As a member of the House, she had earned a 100 percent rating from the National Rifle Association.

The day her appointment was announced, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy threatened a 2010 primary challenge. She was elected to Congress after her husband was killed and her son wounded in a shooting rampage on a Long Island Rail Road train in 1993.

Gillibrand has said that her views are broadening as she moves from representing one rural district to the entire state. She has said she would work to fight gun violence while still protecting hunters' rights.

Gillibrand told Newsday that while she and her husband don't hunt, her mother, brother and father do.

"I grew up in a house where my mom owns about eight guns," she said. "She keeps them in a gun case."

anothergunnut
02-16-2009, 5:12 PM
Al Gore Jr was "A" rated by the NRA as a senator. He quickly abandoned his TN positions once he climbed onto the national stage.

02-16-2009, 5:21 PM
Democrat politicians are pro-gun rights? Sure, some are - in particular those elected in red portions of the electoral map. Until they get a phone call from the Dear Leader of the Party. That's when they become more "nuanced" on the 2nd Amendment - if you get my drift.

SwissFluCase
02-16-2009, 5:38 PM
We should send her letters thanking her for supporting the 2nd amendment, and asking her to continue. With enough support she might tell the "Dear Leader of the Party" to stop pushing election losing policies.

IIRC, Howard Dean is the party chair, not one of those other Democratic losers. He is NRA A rated as well.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

JohnJW
02-16-2009, 5:59 PM
You're surprised? Demokrats have to tow the Party Line or else. Sort of like the way Stalin used to run things.
(I think it would be a great improvement if Pelosi were to grow a 'stasche. Reid too!) :D

Yeah, I used to laugh at the Democrats, until I realized that GOP tows the party line and gets call from its "leader." Wasn't Delay's nickname, "The Hammer." Regardless, we're not fascists or communists so let's leave party affiliation out.

BigDogatPlay
02-16-2009, 6:43 PM
In the House she was one of 435. In the Senate she is one of 100 hence subject to that much more pressure.

She has been NRA A rated, and the NRA actively supported her in her House elections. If she flips one could expect her to have a very difficult time in a couple of years when she has to run on her own.

She is definitely going to need to have her feet kept firmly to the fire.

Tarn_Helm
02-16-2009, 6:46 PM
Democrat politicians are pro-gun rights? Sure, some are - in particular those elected in red portions of the electoral map. Until they get a phone call from the Dear Leader of the Party. That's when they become more "nuanced" on the 2nd Amendment - if you get my drift.

+1

The exception proves the rule.

Most Democrats oppose the fullest and freest exercise of the Second Amendment most of the time.

That is all I need to know.

There is a time to mull ten thousand possible worlds, then there's the time to decide.

And you always have to base the likelihood of future performance on past performance.

If most Democrats oppose the fullest and freest exercise of the Second Amendment most of the time, then I will oppose Democrats all of the time.

I also hate them on general principle for the more long range view of them I have of who they are and who they have been for the longer part of their existence:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p13/AimSmllMssSmll/WRONGONRACE.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-Race-Democratic-Partys-Buried/dp/023060062X/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234838086&sr=11-1

Democrats portray themselves as the non-heterosexual-non-white-non-male party, the party of the oppressed, in Paulo Freire (http://www.amazon.com/Pedagogy-Oppressed-Paulo-Freire/dp/0826412769/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234838279&sr=11-1)'s sense of the word, but this is merely a very recent self-reinvention.

The Democrats have been using and manipulating minorities for years in the most unscrupulous, demagogic and vile ways imaginable--buying the votes of the desperate millions with ineffectual "hand out" programs funded by taxpayers.

The Klansmen who put a blot on the heterosexual, "white," gun bearing male in this country was invariably a Democrat, since that was the party of the south by default--Lincoln being a Republican.

Mind you, I dislike and distrust 99% of U.S. politicians alive today, but I loathe Democrats.

I can hardly imagine voting for Gerry Brown--and won't unless he puts his hand on a Bible in front of cameras and microphones and solemnly swears to make CA a shall-issue state (somehow).
:rant:

lioneaglegriffin
02-16-2009, 10:41 PM
+1

The exception proves the rule.

Most Democrats oppose the fullest and freest exercise of the Second Amendment most of the time.

That is all I need to know.

There is a time to mull ten thousand possible worlds, then there's the time to decide.

And you always have to base the likelihood of future performance on past performance.

If most Democrats oppose the fullest and freest exercise of the Second Amendment most of the time, then I will oppose Democrats all of the time.

I also hate them on general principle for the more long range view of them I have of who they are and who they have been for the longer part of their existence:
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p13/AimSmllMssSmll/WRONGONRACE.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Wrong-Race-Democratic-Partys-Buried/dp/023060062X/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234838086&sr=11-1

Democrats portray themselves as the non-heterosexual-non-white-non-male party, the party of the oppressed, in Paulo Freire (http://www.amazon.com/Pedagogy-Oppressed-Paulo-Freire/dp/0826412769/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1234838279&sr=11-1)'s sense of the word, but this is merely a very recent self-reinvention.

The Democrats have been using and manipulating minorities for years in the most unscrupulous, demagogic and vile ways imaginable--buying the votes of the desperate millions with ineffectual "hand out" programs funded by taxpayers.

The Klansmen who put a blot on the heterosexual, "white," gun bearing male in this country was invariably a Democrat, since that was the party of the south by default--Lincoln being a Republican.

Mind you, I dislike and distrust 99% of U.S. politicians alive today, but I loathe Democrats.

I can hardly imagine voting for Gerry Brown--and won't unless he puts his hand on a Bible in front of cameras and microphones and solemnly swears to make CA a shall-issue state (somehow).
:rant:

Our two parties have swapped representation multiple times in the history of this country, the republican party is closer to the Democratic party of the 19th century, and the Anti-Federalist Party (aka Democratic Republicans and Jeffersonian Republicans) of the 18th century. They all represented the rural populace and were against BIG government.

As opposed to the Federalist, Lincoln Republicans (which was a combination of Whigs and antislavery Democrats) and the Democratic Party Today.

Do not compare parties from two different eras because they ARE NOT the same.

lioneaglegriffin
02-16-2009, 10:47 PM

Oh and not sure of what you meant here being that the majority former slaves were republican. :confused:

N6ATF
02-28-2009, 12:28 PM
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usgill266049715feb26,0,857834.story

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand made her turnaround on a key gun-control issue official this week: She signed a letter seeking repeal of the NRA-backed Tiahrt Amendments, even though she sought to make them permanent just last June.

Gator Monroe
02-28-2009, 12:45 PM

not.

End of summer (new AWB will be debated and voted on in House & senate):chris:

Gray Peterson
02-28-2009, 1:05 PM
End of summer (new AWB will be debated and voted on in House & senate):chris:

Nope. Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Harry Reid pretty much flat out said AWB is dead, and will not be considered.

Gator Monroe
02-28-2009, 1:08 PM
Nope. Speaker Pelosi and Majority Leader Harry Reid pretty much flat out said AWB is dead, and will not be considered.

Media/Rahm/Obama DRUMBEAT fueled by some high profile shootings over next few months will prove you wrong !:sleeping:

56Chevy
02-28-2009, 4:21 PM
http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/nation/ny-usgill266049715feb26,0,857834.story
But everybody said she was on our side?:rolleyes:

peepshowal
02-28-2009, 4:36 PM
Very disappointing. This doesn't leave me feeling very hopeful that she will actually be any better than who she replaced.

N6ATF
02-28-2009, 5:21 PM
But everybody said she was on our side?:rolleyes:

Everybody, maybe not, three letter organization that everybody looks to for political ratings, yes.

56Chevy
02-28-2009, 5:33 PM
Everybody, maybe not, three letter organization that everybody looks to for political ratings, yes.
I know about the NRA. I was mostly referring to the people on Calguns who were roasting the people who said she was going to be against us.

chris
02-28-2009, 5:47 PM

and you expect anyone here to believe what these turds have to say when it comes to a new AWB. they want and want it bad. there is no debate whether it will happen or not it's whens it's introduced.

and the pro gun Dems have to prove themselves.

cmaynes
02-28-2009, 8:11 PM
Run for office.... the only way to get these idiots out is to push them put via the electoral process- run for local office and do a good job, support OUR agenda, and build credibility- if we take it at a precinct level- they will be the frogs in the pot, not recognizing the momentum until it is too late. you take a town, then a city, then a county. If SD and LA County went solidily pro-gun, especially law enforcement, it would play absolute havoc with the anti-gun agenda.

YMMV....

bruss01
02-28-2009, 9:10 PM
Listen you guys... it is a naieve bygone era when politicians ran on platforms they actually personally believed in. Politicians these days simply market ideas and constituencies... they go with whatever they think will "sell" best. It's the same as a car salesman, one day he can sell Chevys and if he gets laid off there he can go across the street to the Ford dealership and sell Fords just as well. There are people who will buy a Ford and people who will buy a Chevy, you want to sell the brand that can get you the biggest payday, and if that changes, then you switch or get left in the dust.

Politicians are the same way... except for maybe Ron Paul.

lioneaglegriffin
02-28-2009, 9:24 PM
She represents the whole state now gun grabbers and all. :cool:

Gryff
02-28-2009, 11:11 PM
It's why I shake my head every time someone says that the blue dog Democrats won't turn their back on the 2nd Amendment. The current political mix gives Democrats such power that the old assumptions will be turned on their heads.

sb_pete
03-01-2009, 12:10 AM
What she says in polite articles is less important than how she votes.

Her political success/future will still be linked more to upstate 'country' NY than the
teeming hordes in NYC.

She's not gonna get that many votes from NYC area and is gonna have to keep her base.

lol, watch her run back to the loving arms of the NRA crowd whenever Carolyn McCarthy starts blathering on again about running against her based on her support of RKBA. I think her seat is going to be somewhat interesting to watch in the next few years...