PDA

View Full Version : Can a non resident with a visa rent/shoot at a local range?

krby
02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
I've got someone at work who isn't a citizen and asked if he could go to a local range with me. He doesn't have a driver's license, just a passport and his visa. I don't even know where to begin to look to see if this is legal for him to rent and shoot.

My instinct tells me that it is likely legal, but the local range might not accept his passport and visa as valid ID.

Ideas?

strangerdude
02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
yeah i'm sure he can, as long as they have your license it's good. I don't think they would be allowed to prohibit him from shooting just because he's a non resident.

Saigon1965
02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Give them a call - Most that I know of accept a photo ID -

Glock22Fan
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
I've taken a few visitors from England to ranges, never had a problem getting them in.

Thinking about it, the very first time I took a visitor, I was legally a visitor myself.

darksands
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Should be ok as long as he is with you. I know you cannot rent guns unless you have your own or you have a friend.

Question is... do you trust him with a gun next to you?

krby
02-10-2009, 10:56 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I think Reed's up here doesn't accept passports as a valid ID, I'll call and see what they would accept.

1911su16b870
02-10-2009, 11:03 AM
FYI, most ranges will only rent firearms to people who come in together, i.e. if he walks in solo, many will not rent to him.

Glock22Fan
02-10-2009, 11:12 AM
FYI, most ranges will only rent firearms to people who come in together, i.e. if he walks in solo, many will not rent to him.

Not saying it doesn't happen but I've never had a problem renting as a solo shooter and I think I've rented at just about every range I've shot at that offers such facilities (nice to try out new guns from time to time.)

Perhaps it depends upon how you look and how you sound and whether you have the right vibes. Or perhaps it depends upon the neighborhood and the type of clientele. Or maybe I've just struck lucky.

gunn
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Not saying it doesn't happen but I've never had a problem renting as a solo shooter and I think I've rented at just about every range I've shot at that offers such facilities (nice to try out new guns from time to time.)

Perhaps it depends upon how you look and how you sound and whether you have the right vibes. Or perhaps it depends upon the neighborhood and the type of clientele. Or maybe I've just struck lucky.

As a solo shooter, did you bring your own gun in when you were looking to rent something different?

The idea is that the ranges want to prevent some guy from walking in, renting a gun, buying a box of bullets, and the creating a cleanup problem in one of the shooting lanes.

If you already had a gun, you already have the means to create a mess yourself so one more gun isn't going to change things.

-g

nobody_special
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
With certain exceptions, it's a federal felony for a non-resident alien to possess a firearm. See the BATFE FAQ (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b5).

drk421
02-10-2009, 11:40 AM
With certain exceptions, it's a federal felony for a non-resident alien to possess a firearm. See the BATFE FAQ (http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b5).

Here is an exception:

http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=browse_usc&docid=Cite:+18USC922

Title 18, USC Chapter 44, Section 922, part (y)(2)

(y) Provisions Relating to Aliens Admitted Under Nonimmigrant
Visas.--
(1) Definitions.--In this subsection--
(A) the term ``alien'' has the same meaning as in section
101(a)(3) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C.
1101(a)(3)); and
(B) the term ``nonimmigrant visa'' has the same meaning as
in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8
U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)).

(2) Exceptions.--Subsections (d)(5)(B), (g)(5)(B), and
(s)(3)(B)(v)(II) do not apply to any alien who has been lawfully
admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa, if that
alien is--
(A) admitted to the United States for lawful hunting or
sporting purposes or is in possession of a hunting license or
permit lawfully issued in the United States;
(B) an official representative of a foreign government who
is--
(i) accredited to the United States Government or the
Government's mission to an international organization having
its headquarters in the United States; or
(ii) en route to or from another country to which that
alien is accredited;

(C) an official of a foreign government or a distinguished
foreign visitor who has been so designated by the Department of
State; or
(D) a foreign law enforcement officer of a friendly foreign
government entering the United States on official law
enforcement business.

JDoe
02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
I've got someone at work who isn't a citizen and asked if he could go to a local range with me.

Should be no problem. At one of the ranges I shoot at there seems to regularly have groups of tourists that come in to shoot.

Glock22Fan
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
As a solo shooter, did you bring your own gun in when you were looking to rent something different?

The idea is that the ranges want to prevent some guy from walking in, renting a gun, buying a box of bullets, and the creating a cleanup problem in one of the shooting lanes.

If you already had a gun, you already have the means to create a mess yourself so one more gun isn't going to change things.

-g

Yes, I understand the logic you describe. Sometimes I've had my own, but not always. For example, when I wanted to try out a bunch of different 1911's, I left my guns at home because I knew I wouldn't be shooting them. And a couple of times I've been away from home and didn't take my guns with me.

gose
02-10-2009, 12:57 PM
From the ATF FAQ:

(R33) I'm a nonimmigrant alien who is coming to the United States for two weeks to go hunting. Can I rent a firearm in the United States to use on this trip? What if I want to go to a shooting range one day - can I rent a firearm there as well?

As long as you possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States, you may rent firearms to hunt and to use at a shooting range. If you do not have the hunting license, your possession of the firearms and ammunition will be unlawful. The hunting license does NOT have to be from the State where you will be possessing the guns and ammunition.
----------

So for 99.9% (to include the 0.01% with valid hunting licenses) of all tourists, renting a gun is most likely illegal. I've asked a couple of ranges about this and it seems to be well-known, they just choose to ignore it.

Theseus
02-10-2009, 1:38 PM
Wow, now that is news to me. . . So theoretically if I had taken my wife, a then non-immigrant here on a student visa, to the range she would have been committing a felony?

I know for a fact that a student visa is not considered an immigrant visa. Why would she not have the right to defend herself while attending school? That doesn't seem right at all.

Think of all the other young naive immigrant Asian women that need protecting!

From the ATF FAQ:

(R33) I'm a nonimmigrant alien who is coming to the United States for two weeks to go hunting. Can I rent a firearm in the United States to use on this trip? What if I want to go to a shooting range one day - can I rent a firearm there as well?

As long as you possess a valid hunting license from a State within the United States, you may rent firearms to hunt and to use at a shooting range. If you do not have the hunting license, your possession of the firearms and ammunition will be unlawful. The hunting license does NOT have to be from the State where you will be possessing the guns and ammunition.
----------

So for 99.9% (to include the 0.01% with valid hunting licenses) of all tourists, renting a gun is most likely illegal. I've asked a couple of ranges about this and it seems to be well-known, they just choose to ignore it.

Glock22Fan
02-10-2009, 1:41 PM
I think it depends on what you mean by "Possess."

If you take your six-year old to the range and let her shoot your .22, does she "possess" a firearm?