PDA

View Full Version : Can your handgun stop this?

toadman
02-10-2009, 9:13 AM
http://www.blackbearheaven.com/world-record-grizzly-bear.htm

Those of you that carry a .44 mag for bear protection in the wild consider
that this bear was shot 4 times with a .38 special & 12 times with a 7mm
Magnum Rifle. This thing was 14' tall & weighed 1,600 pounds.
I guess when your number is up it's up.

fusionstar
02-10-2009, 9:20 AM
338 win mag is far more powerful than a 7mm.
If your carrying a 38 special as a bear backup weapon, you should be mauled lol.
44 magnum minimum.

"Pull the trigger!" I demanded Ted, "Pull the trigger!" The blast of Ted's .338 Win-Mag rang out and sent a direct hit to the bear's nerve center bringing him to his hindquarters. Two shots to the vitals followed, completely dropping the bear, while a series of three additional rounds provided enough insurance to tame our own racing anxieties. The boar dropped in his tracks. What played through my head in slow motion seemed endless, but in reality was over in a fraction of seconds.

fusionstar
02-10-2009, 9:22 AM
CVKmHaNSTTs

4 or 5 part series of videos.. pretty fun ride in a normal day in alaska.

FS00008
02-10-2009, 9:30 AM
Where did you get a .38 special from...?

fusionstar
02-10-2009, 9:38 AM
Where did you get a .38 special from...?

or 7mm.. lol

nick
02-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Shot placement is the key. Remember that story of a cop putting 22 .40 cal bullets in the perp in something like 20 min, and the perp was still shooting back until the last batch?

Skipper
02-10-2009, 10:06 AM
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

kblack583
02-10-2009, 3:20 PM
I bought a 4" 500 S&W that sits in a hip holster just to deal with something like that. (at least thats the reason I told my wife I needed it)

CSACANNONEER
02-10-2009, 4:16 PM
If your carrying a 38 special as a bear backup weapon, you should be mauled lol.

An Alaskan guide once said, "If you are going to carrry a .38/.357 for bear, first, file the front site off. That way, it won't hurt so much when the bear takes it and shoves it up your......"

grammaton76
02-10-2009, 4:24 PM
An AR in 50 Beowulf would be a good choice. Semi-auto and 50cal

But to answer the original post... my DE in 50AE should be able to at least put a dent in it. If I ever get around to doing an AR pistol in 50 Beowulf, that'd be an even better choice. :)

sorensen440
02-10-2009, 4:27 PM
Its all about shot placement
You can shoot a bear with a 50 bmg and if its not in a good spot the bears gonna keep coming at ya

live2offroad
02-10-2009, 4:27 PM
.44 mag with 300 grain bullets (or heavier) mixed with good placement.. A recipe for survival..

-Peter

AaronHorrocks
02-10-2009, 4:32 PM
Its all about shot placement
You can shoot a bear with a 50 bmg and if its not in a good spot the bears gonna keep coming at ya

But with only 3 legs, it's going to have a much harder time. ;)

technique
02-10-2009, 4:34 PM
Dupe..But a good one.

No bears where I hunt, thank goodness, I would hate to run into that. I carry 10mm or .45ACP while hunting...

devildog999
02-10-2009, 4:42 PM
That's a biigggg bear.

Could my handgun kill him.... I could throw it at him and maybe piss him off but no. The real question is could my ammo kill him. Again though, no :(

7x57
02-10-2009, 4:44 PM
.44 mag with 300 grain bullets (or heavier) mixed with good placement.

Garrett (http://www.garrettcartridges.com/products.asp) has ya covered. :D

7x57

Kid Stanislaus
02-10-2009, 6:02 PM
.44 mag with 300 grain bullets (or heavier) mixed with good placement.. A recipe for survival..

-Peter

As much as I like my .44 mags. I'd carry nothing less than a 454 Casull for a handgun and a .375 H&H for a rifle if I were in big bear country.

tankerman
02-10-2009, 6:13 PM
If you're going to bring a 38spl for bears, make sure you save the last shot for yourself.

vwynn
02-10-2009, 6:27 PM
pshh.. easy taking down a bear...

Activate slow mo and place a shot in the eye =]

hard part is trying to activate slow mo.. im still working on it.

PorkLover
02-10-2009, 8:33 PM
Crap....that was a Big Bear......was that for real?.....for bears like that, just give me a good ole fashion Spear.......just like in the "Edge." :p

shoupdawg
02-10-2009, 8:52 PM
Nyet.

Axewound
02-10-2009, 8:53 PM
when is the first annual CG Bear hunt?

fusionstar
02-10-2009, 9:03 PM
Honestly.. if you even consider carrying a 38 spl for big grizzly's, your asking to be hibernation food.

Does anyone know where he got this from?
that this bear was shot 4 times with a .38 special & 12 times with a 7mm Magnum Rifle.

The thing is he goes into great detail about it and nothing mentions 38 or 7mm..

Reminds me of that horse.. bushy tail.. hooves.. big teeth.

ohsmily
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM

:rofl: Nice reference. I still crack up when I see that.

Jpach
02-11-2009, 2:33 PM
Mondo Azz Bear! 38 special would definitely put him down. 1 shot. instantly too.

what does this refer to?

bill104
02-11-2009, 6:11 PM
Funny I read a story back in 2006 about a Alaskian Ranger names ted who Killed the Bear Pictured here, it's said to be Mouted AT the Anchorage Airport. heres the story I got with the pictures, Mius the pictures, but anyone with a strong gut can pm me and I'll show you what this bear did to a hiker, it was reported to have 4 38 slugs from a hiker in it, plus 12 7mm in him, heres the post i got, you decide, if you want to see what a bear will do to you if u make it mad, lol.

A VARY BIG BEAR Ö Read story first.
The following ( first two ) pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service
In Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week (actual date is around January 2005) when a large Grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away.
The guy unloaded his 7mm mag Semi-auto rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The bear was just over One Thousand Six Hundred pounds (1600#). It stood 12í 6Ē high at the shoulder, 14í to the top of his head. Itís the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a Trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport. ( to Remind touristís of the risk involved when in the wild).
Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture below.
The US Forrest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hikerís 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not yet been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bearís dead body) it only wounded the bear and probably angered it.
The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bearís own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.
THINK ABOUT THIS

If you are an average size man; You would be level with this bearís belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours!
To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look into the bedroom windows.

WARNING

The Third Photo is VARY Graphic.

Decoligny
02-11-2009, 6:17 PM
Funny I read a story back in 2006 about a Alaskian Ranger names ted who Killed the Bear Pictured here, it's said to be Mouted AT the Anchorage Airport. heres the story I got with the pictures, Mius the pictures, but anyone with a strong gut can pm me and I'll show you what this bear did to a hiker, it was reported to have 4 38 slugs from a hiker in it, plus 12 7mm in him, heres the post i got, you decide, if you want to see what a bear will do to you if u make it mad, lol.

This story is the fake one.

The one linked at the top is the real one.

The hunter was an Airman in the U.S. Air Force, named Ted Winnen. He is currently a Technical Sergeant still serving in the Air Force, but no longer stationed in Alaska.

bill104
02-11-2009, 6:41 PM
well we all have to read what we read and decide for ourselves, I take nothig for 100% truth uless i see it with my own eyes, the one thing i noted in the link was the fact that those pictures seemed to be photoshoped around the edges, one of these days i hope to go see it at the airport, to see if its actully there.

ohsmily
02-11-2009, 7:41 PM

A VARY BIG BEAR Ö Read story first.
The following ( first two ) pictures are of a guy who works for the US Forest Service
In Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week (actual date is around January 2005) when a large Grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away.
The guy unloaded his 7mm mag Semi-auto rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him. The bear was just over One Thousand Six Hundred pounds (1600#). It stood 12í 6Ē high at the shoulder, 14í to the top of his head. Itís the largest grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a Trophy, but the bear will be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport. ( to Remind touristís of the risk involved when in the wild).
Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours. His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture below.
The US Forrest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the hikerís 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the remains of the hiker. The other body has not yet been found. Although the hiker fired six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bearís dead body) it only wounded the bear and probably angered it.
The bear killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bearís own death by the gun of the Forest Service worker.
THINK ABOUT THIS

If you are an average size man; You would be level with this bearís belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in the eye when it walked on all fours!
To give additional perspective, consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a two story house and look into the bedroom windows.

WARNING

The Third Photo is VARY Graphic.

Did you know the word "gullible" isn't in the dictionary?

ohsmily
02-11-2009, 7:43 PM
well we all have to read what we read and decide for ourselves, I take nothig for 100% truth uless i see it with my own eyes, the one thing i noted in the link was the fact that those pictures seemed to be photoshoped around the edges, one of these days i hope to go see it at the airport, to see if its actully there.

Ok, well here is the story that has been researched and not just some internet chain mail BS sensationalist story. http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp If you want to continue to believe the one about the man-hungry bear who killed hikers and was valiantly killed in an epic battle with multiple calibers and gunshots, so be it.

gdr_11
02-11-2009, 9:06 PM
Hah! Just finished watching Monster Quest on tv and they showed this bad boy on their program about giant bears in America.

But, if it had been Jack O'Conner, he would have dropped him with one shot from his .270. (readers under 50 may have to Google O'Conner unlike those of us of the ancient set)

fusionstar
02-12-2009, 1:06 PM
Mondo Azz Bear! 38 special would definitely put him down. 1 shot. instantly too.

what does this refer to?

ALob2IKOHD0

seeing stuff that isnt there..