PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Disarmament Act

oif03vet
02-09-2009, 10:17 AM
So I was looking around on the internet and found some info on the Veterans Disarmament Act. The most recent thing I could find on it was early 2008. As I under understood it, as it pertains to me, any Veteran receiving VA compensation for PTSD is not allowed to purchase a firearm by legal means. Are my finding correct and did this law pass?

6172crew
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
So I was looking around on the internet and found some info on the Veterans Disarmament Act. The most recent thing I could find on it was early 2008. As I under understood it, as it pertains to me, any Veteran receiving VA compensation for PTSD is not allowed to purchase a firearm by legal means. Are my finding correct and did this law pass?

Hmm, I didnt know that. PTSD for means I hate crowds, Im not looking to shoot anyone.:confused: Id like to know more about this, my roomate has issues but isn't receiving compensation.

Semper Fi 03!

fullrearview
02-09-2009, 10:21 AM
would not surprise me since they hand out ptsd like lollie pops( for the record I am not down playing or making fun of it by any means). Its almost like add...everyone has it!

oif03vet
02-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Semper Fi to you as well 6172Crew.
Tell your roomate to go to you state or counties Veterans assistance office. They will help him file his claim. If need be they will facilitate a PTSD screening (by an unbiased third party) and other medical screenings if needed. PTSD usually warrents a 50% rating which will allow your roomate front of the line care at VA facilities for I believe any medical condition.
I agree that pretty much everyone that goes to war and sees combat, will suffer from some symptoms of PTSD, I dont think it should ban them/us from owning a firearm.

Matt C
02-09-2009, 11:23 AM
This is why I don't go to the VA anymore. Doesn't help that they call me at all hours with blocked numbers like ****ing bill collectors either. I'm not even going to go into how bad it was last time, and many "conditions" they tried to pin on me (including PTSD). Oh yeah, and I'm an alcoholic because I have 3-4 drinks per week. That's one bottle of wine and 1 six pack per month.:rolleyes:

nobs11
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
The new rage is to ban gun ownership for people who are "mentally disturbed."

Almost everyone of us has been "mentally disturbed" at some point in our lives. Shrinks pin disorders onto every person they see. Mentally profiling people into "liable to shoot someone" categories is a great way to further gun control. Taking away people's rights based on some ill-defined measure of propensity to do things they haven't done yet seems too much like the Minority Report/1984.

7x57
02-09-2009, 11:40 AM
The new rage is to ban gun ownership for people who are "mentally disturbed."

That isn't particularly aimed at gun owners, that's just a facet. Mental problems can be used as a blank check to violate the law, and the government really really likes it. An educator called home schooled kids "deranged"; that wasn't a simple slur or hyperbole, but rather a toe testing the waters on one way to defuse the time bomb (from the state's point of view) of children who might actually have learned to believe what the Constitution says.

7x57

5hundo
02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
The VA has received some REALLY bad press in regards to suicides amongst veterans under treatment by the VA. This might be an (stupid) attempt to curb suicide rates amongst veterans...

Suvorov
02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
The VA has received some REALLY bad press in regards to suicides amongst veterans under treatment by the VA. This might be an (stupid) attempt to curb suicide rates amongst veterans...

No, this is just another veiled attempt to restrict gun ownership.

That is how the lefties reward guys for serving their country - by stripping them of their civil rights. :mad:

deleted by PC police
02-09-2009, 12:26 PM
Great, Let's give soldiers an excuse not to get help they may very well need. Do politicians ever think anything through?

dustoff31
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM

I don't recall the real name of the bill that passed, but the "Veterans Disarmament Act" was propaganda used by some of the two guys in a corner type gun rights organizations.

In fact what the bill did, among other things was establish a procedure for vets to get off the S*** List if they did somehow get on it.

Being diagnosed with PTSD does not preclude gun ownership. If one was determined to be a danger to themselves or others, then of course they would, just like anyone else.

BWO has some excellent points about letting social workers and alledged do-gooders gain access to your brain.

bwiese
02-09-2009, 1:50 PM
I don't recall the real name of the bill that passed, but the "Veterans Disarmament Act" was propaganda used by some of the two guys in a corner type gun rights organizations.

In fact what the bill did, among other things was establish a procedure for vets to get off the S*** List if they did somehow get on it.

Being diagnosed with PTSD does not preclude gun ownership. If one was determined to be a danger to themselves or others, then of course they would, just like anyone else.

Thank you, Dustoff.

You are, as usual, correct.

The "Veterans Disarmament Act" was horrible misnomre applied to the NICS Improvement Act by the GOA because it wanted to create some NRA-bashing drama. It did nothing of the sort.

The N.I.A actually fixed some longstanding issues with veterans' rights restorations.

Furthermore it provided political cover to legislators in less pro-gun districts by giving them something they could vote for - "See I'm trying to keep guns out of the the hands of bad people" - without having antigun results. It served as a placeholder after VA Tech tragedy, substituting for real antigun law.

Outlaw Josey Wales
02-09-2009, 2:14 PM
No, this is just another veiled attempt to restrict gun ownership.

That is how the lefties reward guys for serving their country - by stripping them of their civil rights. :mad:

And a thin veil at that! ;)

http://www.bradycampaign.org/issuesarchive/nics/news/

Matt C
02-09-2009, 2:26 PM
After all, soldiers belong on foreign battlefields, not on our streets.

7x57
02-09-2009, 2:30 PM
After all, soldiers belong on foreign battlefields, not on our streets.

Ouch!!!

7x57

Quake0
02-09-2009, 2:36 PM
This is some sick stuff,

oif03vet
02-09-2009, 2:48 PM
The VA rated me for PTSD screening I went to but other than that I havent had any treatment. How do I find out it I am on the ***** list? Try to buy a firearm and get red flagged in the background check thus loosing the fees? That doesnt sound like any fun. I need to figure this out seeing as if I do find out I am on the list it will take a long time and a lot of work to get off of it.

bohoki
02-09-2009, 4:01 PM
well people not in their right minds shouldn't have access to light weaponry at least not in this country

once again i was trolled in by a sensational headline that has no basis in what it claims

they are not disarming vetrerans they are disarming the mentally ill that happen to be veterans

pullnshoot25
02-09-2009, 4:07 PM
well people not in their right minds shouldn't have access to light weaponry at least not in this country

once again i was trolled in by a sensational headline that has no basis in what it claims

they are not disarming vetrerans they are disarming the mentally ill that happen to be veterans

... one step at a time and we are all mentally ill.

Matt C
02-09-2009, 4:08 PM

The desire to own deadly weapons designed to kill large numbers of people is clearly a mental illness. :eek:

H Paul Payne
02-09-2009, 6:18 PM

There is no-such-thing as the "Veterans Disarmament Act." This fiction was created by an organization to attack the NRA, and presumably raise funds for themselves.

You can find some information regarding it at http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=74239&highlight=Veterans+Disarmament+Act . In this article, you will find some other links to further information on this topic.

I hope this helps.

Paul

Kid Stanislaus
02-09-2009, 6:21 PM
Great, Let's give soldiers an excuse not to get help they may very well need. Do politicians ever think anything through?

:rofl2::rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

oif03vet
02-09-2009, 6:46 PM

I had written a long thought out responce to your ignorant comments, but before posting them I figured that it was me and my brothers in arms that have fought, bled and died so you can say what you want and I wont fault you for it. I just suggest that think before you type, maybe do a little research before you say something that is very offensive to a lot of people.

VW*Mike
02-09-2009, 7:00 PM
Jesus. The government can send these men off to kill people in a war with a gun, then deny them the freedom to own one, the freedom they fought to protect? F*&k me running. We really need to do some house cleaning.

dustoff31
02-10-2009, 1:23 PM
The VA rated me for PTSD screening I went to but other than that I havent had any treatment. How do I find out it I am on the ***** list? Try to buy a firearm and get red flagged in the background check thus loosing the fees? That doesnt sound like any fun. I need to figure this out seeing as if I do find out I am on the list it will take a long time and a lot of work to get off of it.

As I said, just being rated for PTSD doesn't matter. Even with counselling or outpatient treatment you should be OK.

There is a form you can from the CA DOJ website to send in a see if you are eligible to buy a gun. Maybe one of the others can provide the link.

But again, in your case, I wouldn't worry about it.

CA_Libertarian
02-10-2009, 2:33 PM

I remember reading an article in a peer-reviewed psych journal (can't recall the name of it). The article was titled "Shadow Syndromes." The article basically explains how 90%+ of the population suffers from a minor variation of a serious mental illness. In most cases, the only thing differentiating the two illnesses is the degree to which the person is controlled by the psychosis.

The criteria for who is too mentally ill to own a gun is a huge gray area that is moving toward the sane people - slowly but surely.

oif03vet
02-10-2009, 3:05 PM
As I said, just being rated for PTSD doesn't matter. Even with counselling or outpatient treatment you should be OK.

There is a form you can from the CA DOJ website to send in a see if you are eligible to buy a gun. Maybe one of the others can provide the link.

But again, in your case, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks for the imput, I am looking for the form right now.

Fjold
02-10-2009, 3:11 PM
All this string proves is that half of the people won't read and just react to the emotion of the original post's title.

iof03vet,

Bohoki was just using hyperbole to react to the sensationalism/alarmism of the post's title.

oif03vet
02-10-2009, 3:19 PM
I did find a form on the DOJ website,
http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/pfecapp.pdf
it costs $20 to submit and they said to give them 90-120 day to get back with you. I figure I am better off just going to buy something, that way it will only take at most 10 days.

turbosbox
02-10-2009, 4:24 PM
I'll call this "I know this guy":
who is an OIF 03 vet also, and has ptsd and being treated outpatient with VA ongoing here in CA. "This guy" wanted to purchase a handgun in CA, and make sure he filled out all the questions accurately. It appeared to him that he was not "judged" in courts with anything. If you look closely at the questions, basically it appears they are all e.g. if you have been institutionalized or had some legal problems related to mental health, e.g. a judge ordered some treatment etc.
'This guy' has not been diagnosed or claimed to be a danger to himself or others ever. He has no violent arrest record etc.
His handgun transaction went through, as well as a long gun purchase in the last 6mo.
To those who blanket label all PTSD folks as wacko's, please know that if the person doesn't suffer from other additional disorders, it may simply present itself as like bad dreams, difficulty sleeping, memory, concentration problems etc. It does suck to have it. Sure, a [shorter than before PTSD] temper generally goes with it.
PTSD alone doesn't mean you can't control yourself or become a violent addict !
This is how I interpret it.
Food for thought; If you for example ever got sleeping pills from your physician, you have a "mental health issue".

bohoki
02-10-2009, 4:56 PM
All this string proves is that half of the people won't read and just react to the emotion of the original post's title.

iof03vet,

Bohoki was just using hyperbole to react to the sensationalism/alarmism of the post's title.

finally someone gets me

heck if it wasn't for my ocd shooting buddy my guns wouldn't be as clean as they are
i love it when a mental illness works in my favor

i think i'll call him up right now and say my flashhider is a tad rusty it will stew in him a couple hours and he'll be knocking on the door with a rag of breakfree

Outlaw Josey Wales
02-24-2009, 4:36 PM
Gun control measure debated
By BRENDAN RILEY, Associated Press Writer

Friday, February 20, 2009

(02-20) 12:51 PST CARSON CITY, CA (AP) --

Lawmakers were asked Friday to back a bill stepping up state record-keeping to help keep guns away from the mentally ill, but were told by a critic of the plan that it's a "stacked deck" targeting Nevadans' constitutional rights.

Assembly Judiciary Committee members were told by Deputy Attorney General Kerry Benson that AB46 is required under a 2007 federal law change and that federal funds could be lost if it's not approved.

Benson said Nevada must make a "reasonable attempt" to comply with the federal law, approved after the 2007 mass shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 people dead, including the gunman whose prior psychiatric treatment wasn't listed in records checked by gun dealers who sold him weapons.

Under AB46, any court records on mental competency, insanity pleas, forced admissions to mental health facilities or appointments of a guardian for someone deemed to be incompetent would have to be forwarded to the state's central repository for crime records.

The state repository in turn would transmit the court records to the federal criminal background database, which gets queries from gun dealers when someone attempts to buy weapons.

Benson said AB46 includes a way for someone to petition a court to determine whether there's still a basis for prohibiting gun ownership, but an American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada representative said the protections in the bill aren't enough.

Rebecca Gasca of the ACLU said the bill "presents a stacked deck against Nevadans and their constitutional rights" by making it easy for them to lose their constitutional rights to own weapons and creating "a huge uphill battle" to get those rights restored.

Gasca said full due process rights are mandated when constitutional rights are at stake, and that due process requirement isn't met in the bill. She added there's no requirement on the state to update a record submitted to the federal database, and there's even a provision giving them immunity from lawsuits for errors or inaction.

Because Nevada officials couldn't guarantee that the federal database would be corrected in the event of an error or a restoration of rights, Gasca said Nevadans entitled to have weapons could instead wind up with "a lifelong gun ban by the feds."

Assembly Judiciary Chairman Bernie Anderson, D-Sparks, questioned whether Gasca was suggesting that the state should have some sort of control over the federal government.

Gasca said that's not what she was suggesting, but added, "Our state does have a long history of questioning overarching federal rules and keeping a wary eye and being very careful in considering the individual rights" under the federal and Nevada constitutions.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/02/20/state/n122141S33.DTL

AlexBreya
02-24-2009, 4:44 PM
taking guns from veterans! thats just wrong...

Meplat
02-24-2009, 7:19 PM
I know a lot of veterans (Viet Nam) and most have nightmares. Their wives know not to be within swinging range if they are awakened abruptly. They have regrets and they have demons. But, I will share a hunting camp or a foxhole with any of them.