PDA

View Full Version : Who's A 'Cop-Killer'?

02-09-2009, 10:15 AM
Who's A 'Cop-Killer'?

From Western Rifle Shooters Association (http://westernrifleshooters.blogspot.com/2009/02/whos-cop-killer.html)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_iIgGzjVNEAk/SY9w5HjH1zI/AAAAAAAACOQ/DHSqnobM0Yk/s1600/hunting%2Brifles.jpg
As this illustration by Oleg Volk suggests, the Evil Ones who are bent on disarming peaceable Americans face a dilemma.

If they base their prohibitions on weapon type and characteristics, as did the first Federal Assault Weapons Ban, smart manufacturers and gunowners can leapfrog over the legislative language and intent via relatively simple tweaks to firearm and cartridge design. As an example, see Barrett Firearms' response to California's ban on .50 BMG rifles -- the California-legal Barrett .416.

On the other hand, if the Evil Ones' motivation is "law enforcement safety", as they have claimed in their long-standing campaign against "cop-killer bullets", then they must base at least part of their upcoming bans on actual muzzle energy generated by the regulated ammunition. Such a ban would need to be based on current body armor standards, which in turn would require an absolute prohibition on civilian possession and use of all rifle ammunition with ballistics equal to or better than the performance of .308 Winchester 150 grain FMJ (2800 fps/2559 ft. lbs. muzzle; 2582 fps/2176 ft. lbs at 100 yards). Such an energy-based ban (and a subsequent confiscation of all non-compliant ammunition) would be necessary to ensure that most current-issue police body armor would not simply be brushed aside by common deer-hunting and sporting calibers such as .30-06, .223 Remington, and .270 Winchester, let alone the antique military calibers such as .303 British, 7.62x54R Russian, and 8mm Mauser:

What about protection from RIFLES ?

The much higher velocity of rifle rounds requires HARD Body Armor Rifle Plates Level III or Level IV Ballistic Steel, Ceramic or Polyethylene - usually ~10" by 12" (~25 by 30 cm.) and generally from 4 to 9 lbs (1.8 - 4.1 kg.) per plate to cover the Chest and / or Back (that's 8 to 18 lbs. Front & Back)

SOFT Body Armor vests only offer pistol, Fragmentation, and shotgun protection (birdshot and buckshot, but NOT shotgun slugs). Even doubling up TWO Level III-A soft vests would NOT stop a rifle bullet!

Ergo, the hoplophobes' dilemma -- either

- draw the new AWB2 based on weapon type and features, and thus invite a slew of caliber and design modifications done specifically to evade (or, more properly, "ensure compliance with") the legislation;

- ban all calibers capable of penetrating most current-issue police body armor, and drag another 30 million or more gun-owning Americans into the mire formerly reserved for the "right-wing miltia nut-jobs with their damned assault rifles"; or

- do both, in the hopes of exploiting American gunowners' documented gutlessness on freedom issues.

What option do you think this Presidential advisor is going to recommend?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_iIgGzjVNEAk/SY94srSi85I/AAAAAAAACOY/IfRy94A51e8/s1600/rahm%2Bit%2Bhome.jpg

KWA-S
02-09-2009, 2:30 PM
I think they are going to wait. They thought they'd get their econ reform bill through within a few days, but our senators are still holding them off. I saw Barrack complaining on TV that he thought he was so popular that of course everything would go the way he wanted. Turns out being popular with a bunch of college kids and soccer moms doesn't mean popular with the people that matter.

Warhawk014
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
politicians arent smart enough to try and calculate muzzel velocity and energy. so i dont think they will try this in the near future. but that doesent mean we should give them ideas.

tlillard23
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
politicians arent smart enough to try and calculate muzzel velocity and energy. so i dont think they will try this in the near future. but that doesent mean we should give them ideas.

Yes they are.
We all know that the flash suppressor size multiplied by the caliber equals the energy of the case as it comes out of the gun.
easy math.

theseacow
02-09-2009, 10:50 PM
i thought the blacker the gun, the faster the bullet? what makes wood AK's so deadly then? is it the fact they have a threaded barrel for velocity increasing attachments like the dreaded slant break?

7x57
02-09-2009, 11:24 PM

Oh, they know all about it--dear old Ted "Chappaquiddick" Kennedy gave an example of the sort of high-powered armor-piercing terror weapon we must get off our streets: the dreaded .30-30, favorite of gangbangers and cop-killers everywhere.

7x57

tombinghamthegreat
02-10-2009, 10:26 AM
- ban all calibers capable of penetrating most current-issue police body armor, and drag another 30 million or more gun-owning Americans into the mire formerly reserved for the "right-wing miltia nut-jobs with their damned assault rifles"; or

If that is the case every rifle would be banned, even old cowboy lever action rifles. Even a well placed .22 round might penetrate a weak spot on body armor according to politicians...see where i am going, a total ban like the UK. Pretty much a rifle that can't penetrate standard police issued body armor cannot be considered an effective rifle to use for SD, STFH or hunting.