PDA

View Full Version : Buying a gun lock from a friend

Dmitri76
02-09-2009, 8:58 AM
Hi All,

Is it enough to buy a gun lock from a friend for like $1 and have him write / type a receipt with a date ? I haven't seen anywhere in the PC that its required to buy from a gun store / walmart ..
I do have a safe, but it doesn't work for handguns anymore, although at least one good store here allows an affidavit + having the lock in hand for pickup with no receipt needed..

ohsmily
02-09-2009, 9:28 AM
Hi All,

Is it enough to buy a gun lock from a friend for like $1 and have him write / type a receipt with a date ? I haven't seen anywhere in the PC that its required to buy from a gun store / walmart ..
I do have a safe, but it doesn't work for handguns anymore, although at least one good store here allows an affidavit + having the lock in hand for pickup with no receipt needed..

Yes, that is acceptable. However, if it is a handwritten receipt on a piece of note paper, the FFL might not play ball (even though it is perfectly acceptable). If your FFL is cool, just have a handwritten receipt. If not, maybe type something up.

E Pluribus Unum
02-09-2009, 12:51 PM
Yes, that is acceptable. However, if it is a handwritten receipt on a piece of note paper, the FFL might not play ball (even though it is perfectly acceptable). If your FFL is cool, just have a handwritten receipt. If not, maybe type something up.

Ahhhh.... the wonders of owning a business and having a copy of Quickbooks. :)

I write my own receipt and have my buddy signing it showing I bought a gun lock from him.

Lately it is a moot point. Certified Gun Locks are $8.00. I had a vendor try to screw me and charge me $30 for a gun lock because it was a PPT and I made him charge the $20 DROS. I went to my gun shop and bought the $8.00 gun lock and gave him that. That keeps the shops honest.

If you have a certified gun safe, all you need to do is sign an affidavit stating under penalty of perjury that you possess a California Approved gun safe. That is an exception to the gun lock requirement as well.

hawk1
02-09-2009, 12:58 PM

If you have a certified gun safe, all you need to do is sign an affidavit stating under penalty of perjury that you possess a California Approved gun safe. That is an exception to the gun lock requirement as well.

That will not satisfy the federal requirements, now required and being enforced, as written in the 'Child Safety Lock act of 2005'.

Dmitri76
02-09-2009, 1:00 PM
Ahhhh.... the wonders of owning a business and having a copy of Quickbooks. :)

I write my own receipt and have my buddy signing it showing I bought a gun lock from him.

Lately it is a moot point. Certified Gun Locks are $8.00. I had a vendor try to screw me and charge me $30 for a gun lock because it was a PPT and I made him charge the $20 DROS. I went to my gun shop and bought the $8.00 gun lock and gave him that. That keeps the shops honest.

Unfortunately, with the Fed law, the safe affidavit is no good anymore .. The store i'm picking up a gun from, is saying the affidavit is ok IF i also bring a lock, even without receipt .. So i thought if i have to bring it anyway, perhaps its better to buy one from a friend for $1 and not have to sign anything "under penalty of perjury". I do own an approved safe ( and also an additional approved gun cabinet) but what if the gun is stored not in the one i said it would be ? :( Anyway i have a printed receipt with today's date and model + s/n of the lock - we'll see how it goes.

Vacaville
02-09-2009, 1:00 PM
At my local FFL that won't work. They want to know that you didn't just take the lock off another gun. Go to Walmart and buy a lock for $8.00 and then return it if you don't need it.

hawk1
02-09-2009, 1:16 PM
Unfortunately, with the Fed law, the safe affidavit is no good anymore .. The store i'm picking up a gun from, is saying the affidavit is ok IF i also bring a lock, even without receipt .. So i thought if i have to bring it anyway, perhaps its better to buy one from a friend for $1 and not have to sign anything "under penalty of perjury". I do own an approved safe ( and also an additional approved gun cabinet) but what if the gun is stored not in the one i said it would be ? :( Anyway i have a printed receipt with today's date and model + s/n of the lock - we'll see how it goes.

The only thing I would add is that you tell the dealer to take a photocopy of your receipt even if he doesn't want to.
I had a dealer that handled a PPT recently that didn't me to supply want a lock or receipt. I tried to explain the federal requirement but he insisted that there was no such thing and only California asked for the affidavit/lock and that was all. I finally had enough and told him to either make a copy now or risk me not coming back when he gets audited. He made a copy, but still insisted he was wasting his time. Maybe so, but I wasn't driving back again...

domokun
02-09-2009, 1:41 PM

This only the case with Handgun purchases. The affidavit still works fine for long guns and receivers/frames that aren't handguns.

E Pluribus Unum
02-09-2009, 3:33 PM
This only the case with Handgun purchases. The affidavit still works fine for long guns and receivers/frames that aren't handguns.

What he said....

The last gun I bought new (Remington 870) came with a factory gun lock anyway.

hawk1
02-09-2009, 5:39 PM
Well, since the OP mentioned this in reference to a handgun, thats what my post was directed about and to correct mis-information you posted.

Dmitri76
02-09-2009, 6:04 PM
Thanks guys, and yes this is for a handgun .. I guess we'll know tomorrow if it works .

jasilva
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
At my local FFL that won't work. They want to know that you didn't just take the lock off another gun. Go to Walmart and buy a lock for $8.00 and then return it if you don't need it.

Which is one more reason I buy from others and avoid G&F&stuff. All they need to know is I have a lock in hand when I pick up my gun.

E Pluribus Unum
02-10-2009, 1:56 AM
Well, since the OP mentioned this in reference to a handgun, thats what my post was directed about and to correct mis-information you posted.

I did not read it that way.... I read it as a general question.

Hi All,

It is not apparrent that the OP is in the process of buying a gun. The OP already says in his post that he knows that safes do not work for handgun purchases. "I do have a safe, but it doesn't work for handguns anymore, " After this statement, I assumed he was talking about long guns. After all, why would I suggest he sign a safe affidavit when he says in his post they do not work for handguns?

It was just a misunderstanding, not misinformation. Due to his statement about it not being legal for handguns, it lead me to believe that the gun in question was a long gun.

Tarn_Helm
02-10-2009, 6:05 AM
Hi All,

Friends don't sell friends gun locks.:D

Dmitri76
02-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Went in with both the printed receipt and a gun safe receipt, but the lock / printed receipt was fine, with no affidavit needed .. Another Thanks! goes to Irvington Arms !