PDA

View Full Version : Senior High School Student Faces Expulsion Over Fake Drill Team Rifles

02-09-2009, 9:21 AM
Marie Morrow, a 17-year-old senior at Cherokee Trail High School in Aurora, is serving a 10-day suspension. Her punishment could be extended at an expulsion hearing later this month.

Morrow is a student leader in the Douglas County Young Marines, a group dedicated to teaching leadership and life skills.

Cherry Creek Schools suspended Morrow after other students reported seeing guns inside her SUV, which was parked outside school while she was in class.

The school also called police, who seized the three drill team guns made of wood, plastic and duct tape. Police told Morrow to claim them in time for her after-school drill practice off-campus.

School administrators, however, were less understanding. The guns were declared "authentic representations of genuine weapons," triggering a mandatory expulsion statute in state law.

See the video here (http://transsylvaniaphoenix.blogspot.com/2009/02/liberal-insanity-senior-high-school.html)

Unbelievable!

pullnshoot25
02-09-2009, 9:29 AM
What a bunch of jackasses! Why do they keep doing this to these kids? Criminey!

SwissFluCase
02-09-2009, 9:43 AM
They should dropm out and finsh high school at the local community college. Vote with your feet...

Regards,

SwissFluCase

Warhawk014
02-09-2009, 9:45 AM
school admin needs to go and jump off a cliff.

RRangel
02-09-2009, 9:46 AM
The school administrators should lose their jobs.

DDT
02-09-2009, 9:54 AM
that should be adequate to keep kids away from guns and further kill our gun/hunting/military culture in this nation. Even if the administration loses they win.

fleegman
02-09-2009, 9:58 AM
Boy, times have changed! When I was a high-schooler in the mid-70's I was on the schools competitive rifle team. We used to walk across campus with fully functional rifles, and nobody batted an eye. We even had a shooting range ON CAMPUS.

ivanimal
02-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Why are they going after the kids that want to be in school? Yet there are plenty that show up whenever they are caught and somehow graduate.

The Sargent said it best "at some point logic has to take over"..............

postal16
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
it could have been worse...she could have been caught drawing pictures on class of the same drill rifles.

I would have been expelled when I was in second grade with todays PC standards!

Annie Oakley
02-09-2009, 10:23 AM
OMG, I think that's in Illinois. This really needs a public outcry and replacement of school board members with more common sense.

02-09-2009, 10:38 AM
OMG, I think that's in Illinois. This really needs a public outcry and replacement of school board members with more common sense.

It's Aurora, CO. Watch the video.

Californio
02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
I guess I would be arrested today for wearing my Cub Scout uniform to school with official Cub Scout knife clipped to the belt, managed to do that once a week for a several school years without harming anyone in Los Angeles.

Public Education has become a Joke.

aileron
02-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Sad... :(

02-09-2009, 11:00 AM
Public Education has become a Joke.

Leave it to the NEA / Teachers Union liberals...one of the most (if not the most) disciplined Democrat Party activist and propaganda organization in the entire nation.

7x57
02-09-2009, 11:02 AM
Why are they going after the kids that want to be in school? Yet there are plenty that show up whenever they are caught and somehow graduate.

The Sargent said it best "at some point logic has to take over"..............

No, logic is functioning normally--you just fail to see the presuppositions it is based on.

A child who learns that guns are not scary might, possibly, grow up to believe that they can be free. They might even grow up to understand that the US Constitution specifically and categorically forbids the government to have European-style absolute supremacy, and they might start to get crabby about the government actually obeying that law. That is very much not in the interests of the state, and therefore is a threat to be countered.

A child who does not go to school is much less of a threat. Granted, they may not produce much, which involves loss of tax revenue and more lost in social services spending. But rulership isn't purely about money: it is about power. Tax money gives the government power, and so is good, but people who are dependent on government largesse have given up personal power to the state and that too is good. So in fact a non-productive subject is not much of a loss for the state--you tax the productive ones and give that money to the non-productive ones in return for their servility. It's win-win for the state. The Romans called it "bread and circuses."

Now, that child is more likely to become a criminal. You might think that's a bad thing, but again you are not reasoning based on the state's interests. Criminals are basically rational: you have something, they want it, so they take action to get it with minimum risk. They are subject to the same economic law as predatory animals: avoid a fair fight and only take a sure thing. After all, the predator has to win many times to survive, and has only a meal at risk. The prey has its life at risk. Therefore, the predator should avoid powerful or dangerous prey unless starving.

The relevance is that criminals by and large don't steal from the government (I'm talking by force, and ignoring white collar crime, which is a different subject); the government has many guns in the hands of people who can use them, and it shoots back. So, rationally, they rob individuals instead. Does this threaten the state? Not at all. It's toys are not being taken, and in order to preserve the system the state itself has to syphon money from the productive workers to the non-productive drones. So why should it care if some of the drones volunteer to do this for free? Either way, it maintains supremacy.

My point is that the school is behaving rationally, according to the educational needs of an absolute state. If you feel this might not be in your own interests, you'll have to avoid sending your child to the state's indoctrination centers for their entire childhood. But don't expect the state to behave irrationally--individual freedom is absolutely against its interests.

7x57

Quake0
02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Reason. They don't have it.

pullnshoot25
02-09-2009, 11:22 AM
it could have been worse...she could have been caught drawing pictures on class of the same drill rifles.

I would have been expelled when I was in second grade with todays PC standards!

Holy crap, I would have been soooo screwed by today's standards, and I was born in 1987! I kissed every girl in Kindergarten (save 1), we drew battle scenes on scrap paper, talked about guns, etc.

Nowadays, my parents would have been sued by the girls' mothers for me sexually harassing them.

SwissFluCase
02-09-2009, 11:54 AM
My point is that the school is behaving rationally, according to the educational needs of an absolute state. If you feel this might not be in your own interests, you'll have to avoid sending your child to the state's indoctrination centers for their entire childhood. But don't expect the state to behave irrationally--individual freedom is absolutely against its interests.

7x57

Somehow we went from compulsory education to government run education. Government education is a *major* conflict of interest, and most people don't even understand that. It's like governemnt run press or religion. I saw the conflict of interest when I was in school, and I dropped out to go to community college as soon as I could.

We must have vouchers in this country. It is the single biggest long term investment we can make in our republic.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

7x57
02-09-2009, 12:55 PM
We must have vouchers in this country. It is the single biggest long term investment we can make in our republic.

That's quite true, if a huge hurdle. But it's the most feasible way to break the feedback loop created by giving the government more and more backdoor ways to influence citizens. The design of the Republic was to prevent this by keeping the communication one-way as much as possible.

7x57

BroncoBob
02-09-2009, 1:18 PM
What a bunch of jackasses! Why do they keep doing this to these kids? Criminey!

With you on this 100%

macadamizer
02-09-2009, 4:23 PM
Holy crap, I would have been soooo screwed by today's standards, and I was born in 1987! I kissed every girl in Kindergarten (save 1), we drew battle scenes on scrap paper, talked about guns, etc.

Nowadays, my parents would have been sued by the girls' mothers for me sexually harassing them.

Back when I was in high school -- in the early 80's -- I even won an art competition with a pencil drawing of an XM-177E2. Probably be in jail these days...

brassburnz
02-09-2009, 8:11 PM
If it's for the Drill Team, chances are the drill rifles are issued by the school. That's how it is where my kids go to school. If they pulled this kinda stuff on my kids, there would be h*** to pay.

(I wanted to post a pic of my son holding school issued drill rifle, but I can't photoshop out his face or the name of the school with this computer. I'll have to do it when I get back to my CLASSROOM!)

CmpsdNoMore
02-09-2009, 8:24 PM
I believe the rifles were from a marine drill team, not the schools.

Rhys898
02-09-2009, 8:39 PM
they weren't rifles at all, they were vaguely rifle shaped pieces of wood with metal and duct tape.

Jer

dwa
02-09-2009, 9:45 PM
they weren't rifles at all, they were vaguely rifle shaped pieces of wood with metal and duct tape.

Jer

+1 i like at least that the news tried to point out that it was ridiculous.

DedEye
02-10-2009, 1:57 AM
The school administrators should lose their jobs.

Anyone have relatives in Aurora, CO that you can encourage to run for school board or city council?

Knight
02-10-2009, 2:11 AM
They claim that their hands are tied, but I wonder if the school administrators would receive any sort of punishment for not following the law?

Liberty1
02-10-2009, 6:17 AM
from "Arms and the Law"

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/2009/02/rotc_cadet_susp.php#comments

Now be nice:thumbsup:

Please. Allow me.

The high school's web site:

http://www.cths.ccsd.k12.co.us/

Here is some other useful information:

Brooke Gregory egregory@cherrycreekschools.org
Principal 720-886-1904

Rob McLelland rmclelland@cherrycreekschools.org
Assistant Principal 720-886-1911

Mark Wahlstrom mwahlstrom@cherrycreekschools.org
Assistant Principal 720-886-2050

Here is the number for the Colorado Governor's Advocate 303-866-2885 Please call and tell them how you feel and that the Governor should step in and put some common sense in to the situation.

Mail
Bill Ritter, Governor
136 State Capitol
Denver, CO 80203-1792

Phone
(303) 866-2471

Fax
(303) 866-2003

Write Gov Ritter.
http://www.colorado.gov/apps/oit/governor/citizen/assistanceUtility/welcome.jsf

eltee
02-10-2009, 8:37 AM
Here is a young woman who should be held up as an example of American youth. She had to have exemplary grades and citizenship plus extracurricular activities to benefit her community to have gotten a congressional appointment to a service academy. She sounds like someone who is a good role model for my daughter and others. For the school to take the sheeple, cowardly "...the rules are very specific.." stand is pathetic. It echoes of, " but I was only folowing orders..."

If the suspension / expulsion is upheld, it can hurt her. It sounds as if this young woman has a very bright future, save this bump in the road.

This is no way to treat a young American who has clearly demonstrated academic excellence, extracurricular service to the community and patriotism. I hope the citizens of her community rally to her support and I hope she receives a "dream team" of lawyers to show the world how ludicrous this situation is.

alpha_romeo_XV
02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I hope this student’s parents have some backbone. The first course of action should come from them. There are standard procedures in place for filing a grievance against the school district. If they don’t put up a fight and hold the decision maker (the HS principal had to sign the suspension) accountable for the “our hands are tied” position it will just happen again and again. Maybe they don't have money to file a lawsuit but they sure shouldn't let it go with just a whimper.
I also hope the “informants” are found out and given some appropriate form of “peer feedback”. That is also an effective way to influence the future.

dragonbait1a
02-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Sound like something that should be used as a test case to get rid of the dumb "imitation firearms" laws. squeaky clean, upstanding students with obviously imitation firearms being handled safely and in a non-threatening manner.

Assuming the above is true and there isn't other things off the radar that would compromise the case it'd make a fine platform for reducing the "kids with guns=crime" and "fake guns=crime" laws. IMHO at the very least they should consider suing for the cost of private school and defamation of character.

YMMV

RGB

stillnotbob
02-11-2009, 1:36 PM
One of the best things I ever learned in school was while I was in 7th grade. I cannot remember what class it was in.... but this teacher was well liked in the school by everyone. He told us the we should NEVER believe everything we are taught in school, that we never had to believe what any teacher taught us,we should question authority, and that we should always looks for the true answers on our own. He made this a very major point in the beginning of the school year. He wanted us to make up our own minds on issues and not just be spoon fed the rest of our lives.

I still remember that to this day.

He also did a lesson on cults and how they can influence people in to believing in them. He would convince the class with overwhelming evidence that Paul McCartney was killed and replaced... and it was a complete cover-up by all involved. He actually had some great video and audio evidence too!!!! Once everyone believed what he was saying.... he would stand there straight faced and say it was a lie and he made it all up. All to prove a point that you should not believe everything you are told.

I wish most of the general public had him as a teacher and were not just spoon fed by the liberal media!!!

Salty
02-11-2009, 2:12 PM
Kick a kid out of school for participating in a school sponsored activity... It makes no sense.

Obviously she needs and probably learned a lesson in judgment (i.e. not to leave drill team rifles laying around in public view), but the administration totally overreacted, as most school administrations enjoy doing.

The lesson they are teaching kids with this one is that it's not worth trying, and they might as well just stop showing up for school.

Cypren
02-11-2009, 2:32 PM
The lesson they are teaching kids with this one is that it's not worth trying, and they might as well just stop showing up for school.

I think the lesson they're trying to teach is that blind obedience to the thoughts and dictates of your masters is the only way to avoid life-ruining punishment. A perfect lesson for the wardens charged with indoctrinating the subjects of the State.