PDA

View Full Version : Can you ship empty shells via USPS?

drk421
02-09-2009, 9:11 AM
I know you can't ship live ammo through the post office, buy can you ship empty shells (brass) via USPS?

Or do empty shells count as ammunition?

foxtrotuniformlima
02-09-2009, 9:14 AM
OH YEAH !! Flatrate Priority Mail boxes are the heat !

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-09-2009, 10:10 AM
I can't see why not. I accidentally brought some empty brass (and some live ammo! oops!) into a state govt building. But I don't think that's cause live ammo is allowed......

motorhead
02-09-2009, 10:13 AM
just metal.

postal16
02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
I have shipped brass and bullets via USPS...get the bulk rate priority box ($8.60 for all you can fit in the box no matter the weight). I once shipped 400 .357 mag lead bullets back when Ebay allowed you to sell components this way...got my money's worth!

bohoki
02-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I have shipped brass and bullets via USPS...get the bulk rate priority box ($8.60 for all you can fit in the box no matter the weight). I once shipped 400 .357 mag lead bullets back when Ebay allowed you to sell components this way...got my money's worth!

where do you get the 8.60 box?

every post office i go to has a $10.35 one and a $13 one

AEC1
02-09-2009, 1:32 PM
Be careful, I know in the military we have to treat them as HAZMAT due to lead residue.

hawk1
02-09-2009, 2:08 PM
Be careful, I know in the military we have to treat them as HAZMAT due to lead residue.

And how should he be careful other than to wash his hands?
Maybe a choking hazard if he decides to chew on one?
Maybe it'll poke you in the eye if you run with it?

That's it, label the box in big red letters;

Contaminated with Lead,
HAZARDOUS MATERIALS INSIDE

:D

norbs007
02-09-2009, 2:13 PM
USPS is what some brass makers use to ship them. The only risk is when the post office drops the package around and the box burst. They will reseal it but will not put the spilled contents back. Heard cases like this and it just happened to me.

NiteQwill
02-09-2009, 2:33 PM

The DoD has USPS centers (Army/Air Force) that enforce the mail regulations and their OWN regulations. yes, if you ship using a military post office, you must declare it as hazmat but any local USPS doesn't enforce this DoD rule.

postal16
02-09-2009, 2:38 PM
where do you get the 8.60 box?

every post office i go to has a $10.35 one and a $13 one

it looks like they raised the prices

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm

hawk1
02-09-2009, 3:37 PM
The DoD has USPS centers (Army/Air Force) that enforce the mail regulations and their OWN regulations. yes, if you ship using a military post office, you must declare it as hazmat but any local USPS doesn't enforce this DoD rule.

Thanks for pointing that out NQ.

bohoki
02-09-2009, 3:40 PM
USPS is what some brass makers use to ship them. The only risk is when the post office drops the package around and the box burst. They will reseal it but will not put the spilled contents back. Heard cases like this and it just happened to me.

pack them in a taped garbage bag or taped up gallon sized freezer bags

i used to buy 45 acp cases off ebay all the time in flat rate boxes then ebay banned brass case sales

NiteQwill
02-09-2009, 3:43 PM
Thanks for pointing that out NQ.

NP, I volunteered as a mail handler as a young private (not a good idea, loooong hours and a bad back) so I got to know the inner workings of the military postal system.