PDA

View Full Version : Did they change the wording???

gosparx
02-09-2009, 8:07 AM
Did the change the wording in the 'Dangerous Weapons Control Law" (12275-12290)?

With regards to detachable magazines, I'd swear that it use to read: (or something very similar to this)

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

But now it reads:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following:

I don't remember it saying "to accept a detachable magazine..."

Not that it really matters, but if it was changed, then that could conceivably give the anti's a little more wiggle room in their argument against a fixed magazine via a bullet button.

Just curious

tgriffin
02-09-2009, 8:12 AM
We need a source. If this is DOJ website material...its wishful thinking on their part. If the source is http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/calaw.html ... that will be a different matter entirely.

Jonathan Doe
02-09-2009, 8:56 AM
A hard copy California Penal Code says that. 12276.1(a)(1) PC

gosparx
02-09-2009, 8:58 AM
I was reading it off the Attorney General's website:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12275.php

thempopresense
02-09-2009, 9:05 AM
A hard copy California Penal Code says that. 12276.1(a)(1) PC

Says What?

CSDGuy
02-09-2009, 9:22 AM
Right on the Cal DOJ website linked above, it says:

(1) A semiautomatic, centerfire rifle that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine and any one of the following: and that's a copy/paste right off the website.

Fate
02-09-2009, 10:20 AM
No change. No wiggle room vs. bullet buttons as those don't have "detachable magazines" according to the law. If you have to use a tool to detach it, it's not a "detachable magazine."

CmpsdNoMore
02-09-2009, 12:50 PM
Doing a quick word search on that last link to the .gov site, they took the whole thing about "without use of a tool" (or however that goes) out.

Librarian
02-09-2009, 1:13 PM
Doing a quick word search on that last link to the .gov site, they took the whole thing about "without use of a tool" (or however that goes) out.

That was never in the Penal Code, but the 'capacity to accept' language was in SB23 in 1999.

The 'tool' language is in California Code of Regulations (http://ccr.oal.ca.gov/), Title 11
5469. Definitions.

The following definitions apply to terms used in the identification of assault weapons pursuant to Penal Code section 12276.1:
(a) "detachable magazine" means any ammunition feeding device that can be removed readily from the firearm with neither disassembly of the firearm action nor use of a tool being required. A bullet or ammunition cartridge is considered a tool. Ammunition feeding device includes any belted or linked ammunition, but does not include clips, en bloc clips, or stripper clips that load cartridges into the magazine.

ETA: Somebody Got To Them: they correctly distinguish between 'clips' and 'magazines'. :)

CmpsdNoMore
02-09-2009, 2:41 PM
Ah, I see.thanks for clearing that up.

gosparx
02-10-2009, 8:53 AM
Must just me my memory (or the memory of something else, somewhere else)

Just glad to hear they aren't trying to randomly change things around here... more than they already do!