PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT: CRPA Board Petition

hoffmang
02-08-2009, 8:02 PM
We have discussed CRPA (http://www.crpa.org/) reform at various times in this community. I believe good things may be able to happen but I need everyone who wants to see the coalition continue to strengthen to help me express to the CRPA board what petition candidates mean to the community and to current and future members of CRPA.

I have posted this online petition (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crpa-petition/). It expresses the desire of anyone who signs it to have a process where by members of CRPA can petition to nominate a board member and then vote for that person at the annual election.

I think this is a key reform to make sure the the CRPA continues to move forward and remains responsive to its members. If you are a current member and you want to see the CRPA make it much easier for members to obtain board membership, please sign (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crpa-petition/).

If you are not yet a member, or have let your membership lapse because of many of the issues with the old CRPA, please sign (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crpa-petition/) if you'd be willing to become a CRPA member if they continue to institute reforms like this.

Entering you email is optional but I do ask that you specify whether you are currently a member or not. Email addresses will only be used to communicate about CRPA related matters and will be kept only by me (and the site I'm using which has a good privacy policy.)

The results of this petition will be presented to the CRPA board February 14, 2009 so please sign before then.

It is important that you and anyone else in the firearms community have your voice heard on this issue. Please pass this petition around to the other communities and groups.

-Gene

DDT
02-08-2009, 8:06 PM
Absolutely the first reform that is needed. I might even toss in money by way of membership if this happens.

SwissFluCase
02-08-2009, 8:08 PM
Done. I am a member on and off, and I would like to see CRPA improve.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

oaklander
02-08-2009, 8:10 PM
Signed - #4 - woot!

Great idea!

EDIT - also post in this thread if you have signed so as to keep this thread up near the top for the next week.

762cavalier
02-08-2009, 8:15 PM
Done. Left CRPA because it wasn't an effective organization for my money. Hoping it will change, and this will be a step in the right direction.:thumbsup:

JDC
02-08-2009, 8:27 PM
Signed. Up to 11 now.

oaklander
02-08-2009, 8:28 PM
The results of this petition will be presented to the CRPA board February 14, 2009 so please sign before then.
-Gene

Guys and Gals - in case you missed it above - it's really important that you sign this petition to send a CLEAR MESSAGE that folks will join the CRPA IF the CRPA makes certain changes.

Here's your chance to let them know what you think. . .

wilit
02-08-2009, 8:35 PM
Current CRPA member. Signed the petition.

BigDogatPlay
02-08-2009, 8:37 PM
Done. I left CRPA simply because it is a club that nobody but the chosen few can aspire to a leadership position and everyone else is largely ignored. If I, as a member, can't have at least an opinion, let alone a say, about how the organization operates when it is advocating on my behalf on such an important issue, then it's a club I wouldn't want to belong to.

When the board at CRPA becomes more representative and responsive, I'll join again.

sfpcservice
02-08-2009, 8:38 PM
Signed!

762cavalier
02-08-2009, 8:43 PM
Maybe we can get a sticky?

paladin4415
02-08-2009, 9:08 PM
Signed

wildhawker
02-08-2009, 9:15 PM
Signed, and comments left (not shown in the signature for some reason).

hoffmang
02-08-2009, 9:21 PM
I can see the comments and I will summarize them for CRPA.

-Gene

Can'thavenuthingood
02-08-2009, 9:27 PM
Signed it.
Itching for another effective pro gun organization in California.

Maybe we can get up a ball game or picnic:D

Vick

02-08-2009, 9:39 PM
I'm a current member and I signed. Hope they listen.

BTLSmark
02-09-2009, 1:00 AM
I'm a current member and I signed. Hope they listen.

ditto.

JasonDavis
02-09-2009, 5:40 AM
Yep.

tophatjones
02-09-2009, 6:24 AM
Done. Good luck!

1923mack
02-09-2009, 9:49 AM
Signed.

HunterJim
02-09-2009, 9:49 AM
When I got to the part where I had to make a contribution to the petition site, I cancelled.

jim

sorensen440
02-09-2009, 9:53 AM
Done

Californio
02-09-2009, 10:25 AM
Signed

Gene,

I did not post any comments on the petition but here are some of my thoughts.

CRPA,

I became a Life Member in 2006. After 25 years, nose to the grindstone, I was ready to step back and enjoy the fruits of my labor. I found that during my absence numerous laws were passed that greatly diminished my ability to collect and enjoy Smith and Wesson Revolvers. I am currently a member of SCWA (Smith and Wesson Collectors Association).

My family has been engaged in the shooting sports, in Southern California, for 158 years. In the 1880ís we were founding members of the Bolsa Chica Gun Club, served many years on the California Fish and Game Commission; instrumental in the developmental years of the Commission.

It is obvious to me that CRPA needs some new blood and activism to take the Heller Case and rollback the damage done here in California.

elenius
02-09-2009, 11:11 AM
Why the citizenship clause?

hoffmang
02-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Why the citizenship clause?

Stolen from NRA materials and you're right - it probably shouldn't be there. It should probably only be that you are a legal resident of California.

I'll make that note.

-Gene

artherd
02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
This is absolutely mandatory.

Bad Voodoo
02-09-2009, 6:52 PM
I'm in.

Rck'n'ROll
02-09-2009, 7:05 PM
Done and done! Good luck Gene! :thumbsup:

oneone
02-09-2009, 9:31 PM
Done! Thank you, Gene.

Liberty1
02-10-2009, 4:46 AM
Iz dun did it :chris:

scr83jp
02-10-2009, 10:28 AM
We have discussed CRPA (http://www.crpa.org/) reform at various times in this community. I believe good things may be able to happen but I need everyone who wants to see the coalition continue to strengthen to help me express to the CRPA board what petition candidates mean to the community and to current and future members of CRPA.

I have posted this online petition (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crpa-petition/). It expresses the desire of anyone who signs it to have a process where by members of CRPA can petition to nominate a board member and then vote for that person at the annual election.

I think this is a key reform to make sure the the CRPA continues to move forward and remains responsive to its members. If you are a current member and you want to see the CRPA make it much easier for members to obtain board membership, please sign (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crpa-petition/).

If you are not yet a member, or have let your membership lapse because of many of the issues with the old CRPA, please sign (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/crpa-petition/) if you'd be willing to become a CRPA member if they continue to institute reforms like this.

Entering you email is optional but I do ask that you specify whether you are currently a member or not. Email addresses will only be used to communicate about CRPA related matters and will be kept only by me (and the site I'm using which has a good privacy policy.)

It is important that you and anyone else in the firearms community have your voice heard on this issue. Please pass this petition around to the other communities and groups.

-Gene I contacted the CRPA office and asked why they weren't at Raahauges Shooting Sports Fairs like the NRA is to sign up new members never did get a response.I looked on the organiztion as a bunch of elitists set in their ways and satisfied with status quo!

drexotic
02-10-2009, 2:02 PM
Count me in!

bluthandwerk
02-10-2009, 5:05 PM
I'm not a member, and in fact had never even heard of the CRPA until I started reading Calguns. I'm fairly aware and up to date on California politics and the fact that I'd never heard of them indicates that they are not doing as much as they could be to advocate for gun owners in this state.

762cavalier
02-10-2009, 5:22 PM
When I got to the part where I had to make a contribution to the petition site, I cancelled.

jim

What contribution? I didn't have to make a contribution to sign the petition.;)

jrsportssupply
02-10-2009, 5:46 PM
Petition signed. I am letting my membership lapse until they make this important change, and that's what I put in the comments section.

Thanks, Gene, for putting this together.

hoffmang
02-10-2009, 6:30 PM
Yeah - ignore the petition site trying to take your money. It was otherwise the best third party tool.

-Gene

Yankee Clipper
02-10-2009, 6:56 PM
I've also signed and, as a life member, hope this will expand and make the organization stronger.

jmlivingston
02-10-2009, 7:00 PM
Yeah - ignore the petition site trying to take your money. It was otherwise the best third party tool.

-Gene

Huh, you don't know anybody who could have thrown up a quickie website to do the same thing? ;) Where'd Ben go?

John

hoffmang
02-10-2009, 7:06 PM
Huh, you don't know anybody who could have thrown up a quickie website to do the same thing? ;) Where'd Ben go?

I have other items on his todo list that would save me even more pain. Wiki improvements anyone? :thumbsup:

-Gene

glockwise2000
02-10-2009, 11:31 PM
Done. Just joined CRPA too. I hope new changes will follow. We'll wait and see. :popcorn:

esskay
02-11-2009, 12:11 AM
Done (current CRPA member).

Not to sidetrack, but does anyone know why exactly an organization like the CRPA invested in a radio venture? (Radio Detective talk radio) I've never listened to the program, so can't comment on it, but that seems an odd thing to do. <- that's my nice way of putting it. A more blunt way would be it seems off-target and a suboptimal allocation of resources & focus.

DedEye
02-11-2009, 12:20 AM
Long done.

retired
02-11-2009, 4:55 AM
I am a former member and will rejoin if I see some reform in the group. I signed.

mikehaas
02-11-2009, 7:37 AM
I contacted the CRPA office and asked why they weren't at Raahauges Shooting Sports Fairs like the NRA is to sign up new members never did get a response.I looked on the organiztion as a bunch of elitists set in their ways and satisfied with status quo!
See, that's an improvement right there. ;)

About a year and a half ago, YOU COULDN'T CONTACT CRPA - there was no contact information on their website.

mikehaas
02-11-2009, 7:46 AM
Done (current CRPA member).

Not to sidetrack, but does anyone know why exactly an organization like the CRPA invested in a radio venture? (Radio Detective talk radio) I've never listened to the program, so can't comment on it, but that seems an odd thing to do. <- that's my nice way of putting it. A more blunt way would be it seems off-target and a suboptimal allocation of resources & focus.
They see it as a way of increasing membership. You've got to understand, CRPA has been tragically unfocused and off the mark for many years. Unlike NRA, CRPA is a small PRIVATE company (and getting smaller all the time) and for that reason, you are not likely to see members elect their board.

About as much chance of that happening at CRPA as Microsoft becoming a "customer-run" company.

So while they have made some improvements - for example, they now seem to understand the importance of NOT working against NRA - if "members electing board members" is the standard, it is doubtful they will ever reach it.

Mirage
02-11-2009, 5:07 PM
Petition Signed.
Currently a Member.
I hope this will wake them up.
I hope we get some unity between all the organizations of our state.

jnojr
02-11-2009, 5:54 PM

You do not have to. Just ignore that part. Hit the "Back" button, then the "signatures" tab to see that you're there.

I signed. I have a huge problem with the CRPA. There's a reason why their membership dropped from ~60,000 to the ~28,000 or so and dropping that it was last time I checked. I join for one year when I need to for CMP, and if I could find another group to join to satisfy CMP, I would.

Reforming the CRPA would go a long way towards helping us.

GuyW
02-12-2009, 9:27 AM
Unlike NRA, CRPA is a small PRIVATE company (and getting smaller all the time) and for that reason, you are not likely to see members elect their board.

Wait.

CRPA isn't a non-profit corporation?

xxdabroxx
02-12-2009, 11:09 AM
signed

ke6guj
02-12-2009, 11:17 AM
I join for one year when I need to for CMP, and if I could find another group to join to satisfy CMP, I would.
There are a number of other groups that you can join for CMP purposes.

The Garand Collectors Association is a popular choice for $ 25, http://www.thegca.org/membership.htm

Recently, the 50 Caliber Shooters Association got CMP-affiliation, http://www.fcsa.org

7x57
02-12-2009, 11:29 AM
Recently, the 50 Caliber Shooters Association got CMP-affiliation, http://www.fcsa.org

Please tell me that's because the CMP is going to start selling off surplus .50 cal weapons at below market value. :43:

7x57

ke6guj
02-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Please tell me that's because the CMP is going to start selling off surplus .50 cal weapons at below market value. :43:

7x57

I wish. :D Its just that members of the FCSA asked why they weren't an affiliated club so that they could use their FCSA membership to buy from CMP. So the FCSA took the time and effort to get affiliated.

Anyways, done with the thread hijack.

kperry
02-13-2009, 7:09 AM
Signed the petition, and I would become a member if they implemented these changes, hopefully making them more effective and relevant.

DDT
02-13-2009, 8:42 AM
Kind of surprised only 144 signatures.

Can'thavenuthingood
02-13-2009, 12:02 PM
Would it be feasible to take this out to the gun shows?

We are having a Calguns.net booth at the Cow Palace show on 28 FEb & 1 March so there will be other Calgunners already there to associate with, a veritable gathering. About 18 volunteers just for the booth.

The guys manning the booth will be quite busy, well we anticipate they will be quite busy. So they will be unable to do the signature gathering as they have other duties.

However comma, I suspect the show promoters would welcome all 23,000+ Calgunners with open arms.

Vick

DDT
02-13-2009, 1:00 PM
I agree we need to put some pressure on CRPA to make important changes to more accurately represent the people they claim as constituents. This petition is a good start.

However; the CalGuns booth should be all about CalGuns and bringing Second Amendment supporters and exercisers into our fold. It is not the best place to be showcasing a disagreement with another RKBA advocacy group.

Experimentalist
02-13-2009, 1:16 PM
Not Found

The requested URL /missing-petition.html was not found on this server.
Apache/2.2.8 (EL) Server at www.ipetitions.com Port 80

Am I too late?

hoffmang
02-13-2009, 1:34 PM
Am I too late?

Nah. Site seems to be down. Check back. Cutoff is tomorrow morning.

-Gene

Can'thavenuthingood
02-13-2009, 3:45 PM
I agree we need to put some pressure on CRPA to make important changes to more accurately represent the people they claim as constituents. This petition is a good start.

However; the CalGuns booth should be all about CalGuns and bringing Second Amendment supporters and exercisers into our fold. It is not the best place to be showcasing a disagreement with another RKBA advocacy group.

Da, good point.

Vick

tlillard23
02-14-2009, 12:06 AM
what's with having to give a donation to sign the petition?

hoffmang
02-14-2009, 12:40 AM
what's with having to give a donation to sign the petition?

You don't have to give a donation (and you shouldn't.) It's a free petition site that is the best available on short notice.

-Gene