PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on my next handgun purchase...

Phat Daddy
02-08-2009, 5:00 PM
I'm in the market for a nice handgun but have hit a roadblock. I'm leaning towards a 1911 .45ACP (I don't own one and feel my collection will never be complete until I do) with "5 barrel. Others on my short list are: HK USP9, SIG 9mm or Glock 19.

I have felt all of them and shot a couple. I've seen a few for sale here that are in my price range (under $800) but just can't make up my mind. What is your experience with any of these and any input? Any help is much appreciated.:thumbsup:

PorkLover
02-08-2009, 5:54 PM
imo, the G-19 is more bang for your buck and truly is a legend in itself.....having said this....if you got the money.....I would go for the HK USP......it's always had a special place for me....I don't know why.......

OutlawDon
02-08-2009, 5:59 PM
If you don't own a 1911 yet, you definitely need to add one to the collection above all else!

The SoCal Gunner
02-08-2009, 6:00 PM
What do you have so far?

I buy my guns based on utility, features, and how they function/shoot so it depends on what guns I already have.

Since I already have my shtf guns (Glock 23 and Hk USPC40), I've been buying a lot of 1911s because they feel good, shoot nice, and the triggers are sweet.

I have more 1911s than I have anything else but I started with lots of polymer guns (only 3 remain).

Of the three you mention I'd go Glock or Sig. Glock is slimmer and easier to carry and the finish is tough as hell. Sig has niceer DA/SA trigger than Hk but are slightly bulkier than Glock. If you mean a Sig P226, that might make things harder when comparing to a Glock 19.

Phat Daddy
02-08-2009, 6:54 PM
I only have one polymer handgun in .40cal. I have tons of rifles and a few revolvers. If SHTF, I think I'll be good.:sleeping::cool2:

It seems like the majority are all saying, 1911 is a must. I seen a entry model Kimber at my local gun shop for $799. Seen some Springfield, Para and Colt's on here all within that same or lower price range. Man, this is a lot tougher then I thought.:chris::thumbsup::D

223Dude
02-08-2009, 10:20 PM
My buddies and I all started with all the different poly's. Now we all look back and wonder, why the heck didn't we just get a 1911 in the first place?

BillCA
02-09-2009, 3:13 AM
Go for the 1911.

Of the brands out there that I'd suggest, S&W, Springfield, Colt and Rock Island (budget priced) top my list.

Sigs are a quality gun, however they have never fit my hand comfortably, feel bulky and their controls never seem to be quite right for me. YMMV.

HK's like the USP9 are large and blocky, especially for a 9mm pistol. For that size, the Beretta 92FS handles much better IMO.

Owning a Glock is like owning a hammer. It's useful, reliable and boring. Zero in the way of aesthetic lines, average accuracy and an almost-useful grip angle.

If 9mm or .40 is your favorite, the CZ-75 pistols are good value. IF you can reach the awkwardly mounted frame mounted safety with your strong hand thumb. Other than that, a lot of folks like them and seem to do well with them.

When looking at 1911's, keep in mind that you don't really need all the bells & whistles. If you have very large hands, you might appreciate a beavertail safety. I do like a larger safety than the GI style, but it will work fine if that's all I've got. Opt for night sights on a carry gun or a home-defense pistol, otherwise they're not necessary.

Good items on the 1911 include good sights, lowered/flared ejection port (compared to GI spec), larger thumb safety and a beveled magazine well opening.

A fully-loaded Springfield will probably exceed your budget. I bought this "Commander" sized pistol in '04 and I like it, but in retrospect, I could have saved money buying a less tricked-out Colt or Springfield.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/1911/SpringChampRed1.jpg
Springfield Champion Stainless "Loaded" model.

My S&W 1911 is also a "Commander" length pistol (4.125" barrel) and a lightweight Scandium alloy frame. Excellent carry gun, accurate and reliable with my hydrashok ammo.
http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/1911/1911sc2.jpg
S&W 1911Sc - lightweight Scandium alloy frame

And don't forget, you can also get a 1911 in 9mm if that suits you. The steel frame Combat Commander tames the 9mm nicely. I think Springfield is still making 5" 9mm 1911's too, whereas the Colts are harder to find.

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff111/BillCA/Hobby/1911/CMDR9_2S_1122.jpg
Colt 1911 - 9mm Combat Commander

Does that help?

Jonathan Doe
02-09-2009, 3:17 AM
I have shot all and have couple of the guns you listed. All shot well. Which one feels the best in your hand?

Glock22Fan
02-09-2009, 8:52 AM
Everyone should own at least one 1911 -- with possible exceptions for those (elderly or infirm or whatever) who are unable to handle anything that size/caliber.

It took me a while to feel that way, but now I am a convert.

the_donald_
02-09-2009, 9:15 AM
why all the foreplay? If you feel your collection won't be complete until you buy a 1911, then buy a 1911. It is possible to find them in your price range. If you intend to keep it for life, then spend the cash & get a good 1911. If you want to get one to just learn the platform, and perhaps do some work on it, then RIA is the way to go. I'm biased though, I have a Custom II.

I went yesterday to shoot some 9mm Sigs (P229 & P226), with the real intent to make up my mind on buying one, & to be honest it was a little disappointing. I really like these two guns, but having the 1911 has spoiled my taste. I'm not sure I can buy another platform at this time.

1lostinspace
02-09-2009, 9:27 AM
Every 1911 I have ever shot jams after 200 rounds with out cleaning

Black Majik
02-09-2009, 9:37 AM
What do you have so far?

+1. It really depends on what you own.
I'm leaning towards a 1911 .45ACP (I don't own one and feel my collection will never be complete until I do) with "5 barrel. Others on my short list are: HK USP9, SIG 9mm or Glock 19.

I own everything on that list except the G19, I have a G17 and G34 instead. From order of how often they get used it goes:

1911 > Glock > SIG > USP

The 1911 is definitely my favorite. But rising ammo prices definitely makes it more expensive to shoot. If comparing 9mm, between the Glock, SIG, and USP, it's very subjective based on what feels best to you. I like the Glock because of it's low bore axis. With a modified trigger, it can be very easy to shoot.

Also, what kind of action do you prefer? SAO, DA/SA, or DAO? This may help in selecting a platform for you. The USP is available in all three actions, DA/SA and SAO or DAO (LEM). The SIG is available in DA/SA or DAK. Way above $800, you can get a X5 which will be available in SAO. Glock, well... the safe action is easiest to use. Consistent trigger without any safeties or decockers.

Best to try em' all out at the range or meet up with some Calgunners. They're all very different. Every one of them is fun to shoot however.

Phat Daddy
02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks guys... you guys all rock!!! Great info, just what I was looking for.:thumbsup:

The only polymer (if you would call it that) gun I own is... (don't laugh)... a Sigma .40. I have a pretty good size hand and really like the way the 1911 felt. I prefer the 5" barrel for the accuracy.

It looks like I'll probably start with a base model 1911 to get my feet wet and get familiar with the functionality of it. Then, like all things, step up to something nicer down the line. Again, thanks for helping me out.:thumbsup:

Futurecollector
02-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks guys... you guys all rock!!! Great info, just what I was looking for.:thumbsup:

The only polymer (if you would call it that) gun I own is... (don't laugh)... a Sigma .40. I have a pretty good size hand and really like the way the 1911 felt. I prefer the 5" barrel for the accuracy.

It looks like I'll probably start with a base model 1911 to get my feet wet and get familiar with the functionality of it. Then, like all things, step up to something nicer down the line. Again, thanks for helping me out.:thumbsup:

hey man Im with everyone else if you need a 1911 to feel complete then no doubt go with the 1911, I like the RIA and they are cheap like 320 to your ffl.

and dont feel bad about the SIgma, Im looking for one in .40 if your wanting to sell it:D:thumbsup:lol

Phat Daddy
02-09-2009, 1:35 PM
hey man Im with everyone else if you need a 1911 to feel complete then no doubt go with the 1911, I like the RIA and they are cheap like 320 to your ffl.

and dont feel bad about the SIgma, Im looking for one in .40 if your wanting to sell it:D:thumbsup:lol

Yeah, they (Sigma .40) must be very popular because I've always had a hard time finding extra mags for it. They' re always sold out. I just found my old receipt from when I bought mine. I paid $229 in 2000 from Turners.:thumbsup:

I sold my Beretta 92 about 10 years ago and promised myself I would never sell another gun again. So far so good.:D

Glock22Fan
02-09-2009, 3:08 PM
Every 1911 I have ever shot jams after 200 rounds with out cleaning

How many rounds do you take to a gunfight?

BillCA
02-10-2009, 3:25 AM
How many rounds do you take to a gunfight?

More than you think you'll need.

Glock22Fan
02-10-2009, 8:13 AM
More than you think you'll need.

I hear you there. But more than 200? That's not a gunfight, it's a seige.

IllTemperedCur
02-10-2009, 8:30 AM
My default advise would be to get the 1911, because every handgun collection should have at least one. But it depends on what you're using it for. Fun gun? Defense? Make sure that you have your defensive arm sorted out first, whether it's something that's already in your hands or with this new purchase.

Midian
02-10-2009, 9:51 AM
As a recent convert to the 1911 Church, I agree. Every handgun collection should have at least one.

I will have several.

aklon
02-13-2009, 10:18 PM
The 1911 is one of those few pistols that you have to measure up to. By that I mean you should scrimp and scrape and go into hock if need be, but buy the very best 1911 pistol you can find, regardless of price. Some of the custom houses (Baer, Wilson) may cost way more than you might want to pay, but if you do buy one of their pistols, it'll be you that gets better and better using that gun, and not the other way around where as you get more proficient with the 1911, you get dissatisfied with what you have and want something better later on.

The larger your investment right now, the less costly it will be for you downstream. (Except when you buy other samples of finely crafted pistols, but that's a whole different story.)