PDA

View Full Version : Private Party Sale Question

Thumper
02-08-2009, 5:41 PM
I recently bought 3 rifles from a friend of the family. Winchester Model 54 (1926 manuf. date), Winchester Model 70 (1965 manuf. date), and a Interarms Mark X (from 70s-80s from what I'm told). I understand that the Model 54 is a C&R since it is over 50 years old but the other 2 need to be done at an FFL. The person I am buying them from had a stroke and is pretty much unable to get around, can I take the rifles from his home to the FFL for him and do the paper except what what he needs to sign? Right now all the rifles are still in his home.

On another note, I am going to look at homes in Nevada next week for a possible move there. Does anyone know if Nevada requires anything special for private party transfers like this? Would it be better for me to move to Nevada (of course this is better 8-) )and then take ownership of the rifles or should I still go through a local FFL first to put them in my name. I had sent a PM to a local dealer, but I haven't heard back from them yet regarding the first question.

this is what i found regarding nevada stuff, but my feeble firearms knowledge isn't sure on how to put this together for my question.

NRS 202.254 Private person authorized to obtain background check on person who wishes to obtain firearm from him; fee.

1. A private person who wishes to transfer a firearm to another person may, before he transfers the firearm, request that the Central Repository for Nevada Records of Criminal History perform a background check on the person who wishes to acquire the firearm.

2. The person who requests the information pursuant to subsection 1 shall provide the Central Repository with identifying information about the person who wishes to acquire the firearm.

3. Upon receiving a request from a private person pursuant to subsection 1 and the identifying information required pursuant to subsection 2, the Central Repository shall within 5 business days after receiving the request:

(a) Perform a background check on the person who wishes to acquire the firearm; and

(b) Notify the person who requests the information whether the information available to the Central Repository indicates that the receipt of a firearm by the person who wishes to acquire the firearm would violate a state or federal law.

4. If the person who requests the information does not receive notification from the Central Repository regarding his request within 5 business days after making the request, he may presume that the receipt of a firearm by the person who wishes to acquire the firearm would not violate a state or federal law.

5. The Central Repository may charge a reasonable fee for performing a background check and notifying a person of the results of the background check pursuant to this section.

6. The failure of a person to request the Central Repository to perform a background check pursuant to this section before transferring a firearm to another person does not give rise to any civil cause of action.

(Added to NRS by 1997, 825)

thanks in advance for any help.

jon.

Quiet
02-08-2009, 7:04 PM
If you move to NV, the rifles need to be sent to a NV FFL dealer and you do the transfer with the NV FFL dealer.

Federal law requires what you want to do to be processed by a FFL dealer in the state you live in. Since, you will be a NV resident and the seller is a CA resident, the transfer will need to be processed by a NV FFL dealer. If both you and seller were NV residents then the NRS you posted would be applicable.

If you do the the transfer while you are still a CA resident, both of you need to show up to the CA FFL dealer in person, in order to be a PPT.

If the seller can not show up in person, then the firearms need to be mailed to the CA FFL dealer with a copy of his DL/ID and you DROS the firearms at the CA FFL dealer. Since, this is not a PPT, the CA FFL dealer can charge more than what a PPT would cost.

Thumper
02-08-2009, 8:36 PM
Thanks Quiet.

I guess once we get the house in Nevada, I will have him mail the rifles there. That seems like the simplest solution. I really dont want to have to make him drive around when he cannot do so easily, nor do i want to be charged an exorbianant amount from an FFL dealer for these. I am sure that the Nevada FFL are a lot lest costly for this type of thing than California ones are.

I do appreciate the input and information.

Jon.

Mssr. Eleganté
02-08-2009, 9:46 PM
I your friend has a spouse then he can transfer the guns to her without any paperwork and then she can do a PPT with you at your local FFL.

fairfaxjim
02-08-2009, 11:03 PM
I your friend has a spouse then he can transfer the guns to her without any paperwork and then she can do a PPT with you at your local FFL.

Or Son or Daughter too.

As for the Nevada thing, he will have to mail them to an FFL in Nevada, who will accept them from a non FFL shipper. The FFL in Nevada will charge you for receiving them, and will have to do a dealer sale - much much easier than in CA, but will still involve a dealer. You cannot have them mailed directly to your house - interstate transfer must involve an FFL on the receiving end. If you are able to PPT them here before you go, then just pack them in your stuff and take them with you.

Thumper
02-08-2009, 11:29 PM
it's never easy is it. guess i will call around a few local ffl's tomorrow and get some pricing for transferring the 2 rifles. When i go to Nevada this weekend, I will talk to some FFL there to get an idea of what it will cost that route. Either way looks like i will have to have them shipped to an FFL and deal with it that way. I just want to make sure that our friend AND myself are covered legally and that he doesn't have to do much work. Well, i think i will be doing all the leg work and research lol. Hopefully i can find an economical way to keep the good deal i got just that, good.

thanks for the advice guys.

jon.

Meplat
02-09-2009, 9:15 PM
It might be less hassel if he just adopted you. :D

it's never easy is it. guess i will call around a few local ffl's tomorrow and get some pricing for transferring the 2 rifles. When i go to Nevada this weekend, I will talk to some FFL there to get an idea of what it will cost that route. Either way looks like i will have to have them shipped to an FFL and deal with it that way. I just want to make sure that our friend AND myself are covered legally and that he doesn't have to do much work. Well, i think i will be doing all the leg work and research lol. Hopefully i can find an economical way to keep the good deal i got just that, good.

thanks for the advice guys.

jon.