PDA

View Full Version : How's Reeds been lately?

Blue
02-08-2009, 4:11 PM
How's Reeds indoor range been since their recent addition to their inventory? I haven't been shooting there in months and was kinda thinking of drifting down that way this evening before they close.

Turbinator
02-08-2009, 4:41 PM
They're doing great. I was there on Friday, lots of inventory of guns, supplies as usual, and ammo. They had some ammo still in brown boxes waiting to get shelved. The old Reed's display cases integrated nicely into the range retail floorspace. I say give it a go, it was worth a stop to browse around.

Turby

223Dude
02-08-2009, 6:04 PM
Picked up a nice Galco holster for my full size USP 45 right as they were closing. The guys there were cool making sure the fitting was right using one of their USP 45's behind the case and registering me out at the counter as they were closing for the night. Pretty busy though during the day on a weekend.

Suvorov
02-08-2009, 7:20 PM
They're doing great. I was there on Friday, lots of inventory of guns, supplies as usual, and ammo. They had some ammo still in brown boxes waiting to get shelved. The old Reed's display cases integrated nicely into the range retail floorspace. I say give it a go, it was worth a stop to browse around.

Turby

Do they still tell you that you'll go to jail if you use an old pre-ban 30 round magazine in a new Ruger Mini-14? Do they still tell you that all 10mm ammo is the same power while looking at you like you have a penis growing out of your forehead for asking? Do you still have to take a number just to get some old fart to give you the time of day, before he fills your head with misinformation and lies?

No thanks, if I want to be treated like a moron and hear some old coot spreading FUD I'll just head over to Imbert and Smithers - it's a lot closer.

Blue
02-08-2009, 7:38 PM
Do they still tell you that you'll go to jail if you use an old pre-ban 30 round magazine in a new Ruger Mini-14? Do they still tell you that all 10mm ammo is the same power while looking at you like you have a penis growing out of your forehead for asking? Do you still have to take a number just to get some old fart to give you the time of day, before he fills your head with misinformation and lies?

No thanks, if I want to be treated like a moron and hear some old coot spreading FUD I'll just head over to Imbert and Smithers - it's a lot closer.

You're talking about their retail store, which closed and moved the gun sales over to their indoor range. I haven't had too much trouble at the indoor range except the fact that it always feels like some sort of a snooty golf shop. But it's close, clean, and well lit.

barrykay
02-08-2009, 8:52 PM
You're talking about their retail store, which closed and moved the gun sales over to their indoor range. I haven't had too much trouble at the indoor range except the fact that it always feels like some sort of a snooty golf shop. But it's close, clean, and well lit.

You forgot to say OVERPRICED $18.00 per lane per hour and only one shot per three seconds. :chris:

Blue
02-08-2009, 8:56 PM
You forgot to say OVERPRICED $18.00 per lane per hour and only one shot per three seconds. :chris:

Yea, but they got rent to pay. Plus the facilities are kept nicely. You can go to TMW for alot cheaper, and in my opinion friendlier staff, but the lanes are dark, cold as hell sometimes, and everything is pretty much tuckered out. Sometimes the customers up that way get real ghetto too depending on the time and day of the week you're there.

JDoe
02-08-2009, 9:41 PM
My experience of Reeds Range has been good and they have a knowledgeable, friendly staff that take the time to answer all your questions--really a customer service experience and it looks like the customers/shooters are having fun too.

I was just there today and they have lots of bulk ammo, priced about the same or less than sports authority but more than Walmart. They had lots of 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45, .223 (no 5.56), .308, .22 LR and various 12 gauge.

They have a decent selection of guns, surefire flashlights, holsters and so on but no complete black rifles and no lowers.

Blue
02-08-2009, 10:49 PM
My experience of Reeds Range has been good and they have a knowledgeable, friendly staff that take the time to answer all your questions--really a customer service experience and it looks like the customers/shooters are having fun too.

I was just there today and they have lots of bulk ammo, priced about the same or less than sports authority but more than Walmart. They had lots of 9 mm, .40 S&W, .45, .223 (no 5.56), .308, .22 LR and various 12 gauge.

They have a decent selection of guns, surefire flashlights, holsters and so on but no complete black rifles and no lowers.

Any idea what the 223 went for? In the past they've been more than fair on case priced pistol ammo...I dunno about rifle ammo though.

CABilly
02-08-2009, 10:59 PM

:rofl2: So true!

Their inventory has really grown and it's fun to look around (if you can see through the masses, I've not seen it "slow" or "quiet" in a looong time. A much higher-quality place than TMW, but they only sell new retail guns. I'd like them even better if they had at least ONE consignment case.

But, ultimately, they're too pricey. For 2/3 the price I can pay a flat rate to shoot as long as I want at Metcalf with a free target to boot. I know the cease-fires can be annoying, but at least they help me budget my ammo. Then there's the whole benefit to being outside. I like that part the best.

Blue
02-08-2009, 11:02 PM
:rofl2: So true!

Their inventory has really grown and it's fun to look around (if you can see through the masses, I've not seen it "slow" or "quiet" in a looong time. A much higher-quality place than TMW, but they only sell new retail guns. I'd like them even better if they had at least ONE consignment case.

But, ultimately, they're too pricey. For 2/3 the price I can pay a flat rate to shoot as long as I want at Metcalf with a free target to boot. I know the cease-fires can be annoying, but at least they help me budget my ammo. Then there's the whole benefit to being outside. I like that part the best.

Bummer I hate crowded places. I ended up lazying out of shooting today. Maybe I'll bring my gun to work tomorrow and plan on bailing out early so I can get some shooting time in. I wouldn't imagine they'd be terribly busy mid day on a Monday. But yea, every time I walk into that place the classic elevator music and brand snobbery cracks me up.

wildhawker
02-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Wife and I shoot there just about every Monday night. Clean, well-kept and good depth and selection of inventory. Don't expect fire sale prices- it costs money to do business in the Bay. That said, Reed's shows up on our Visa bill quite a bit :D

I'd definitely recommend Yancy at the range counter, Jim in sales; great guys.

Bummer I hate crowded places. I ended up lazying out of shooting today. Maybe I'll bring my gun to work tomorrow and plan on bailing out early so I can get some shooting time in. I wouldn't imagine they'd be terribly busy mid day on a Monday. But yea, every time I walk into that place the classic elevator music and brand snobbery cracks me up.

Some days and times are worse than others (wed. is ladies night); I've been all alone at 5pm and waiting for a lane at noon. You could call ahead to confirm how busy they are before you head out- sometimes I do if I'm not feeling too much like rolling the dice.

I was thinking about stopping by there tomorrow afternoon; the wife may not shoot the PPC at 6p tomorrow (she's feeling a little under the weather), but I may go on the way home.

Bowser
02-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Come to TMW, I won't bite.

barrykay
02-08-2009, 11:12 PM

Who? What? Where? is TMW:thumbsup:

Blue
02-08-2009, 11:14 PM

Nancy always gets upset when OLL's are talked about there. She always told me "Well don't bring that thing here!!" Plus, with Milpitas PD right next door, I'd rather not the hassle.

Bowser
02-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Come at night. Actually Nancy let a forum member I talked to shoot his raddlocked USC. I've let customers shoot their 22lr AR and 9MM AR's too. No problems!

BillCA
02-09-2009, 3:33 AM
Reed's Indoor range?

I'd rather be found dead, face down in my cat's litterbox than go there again.

Why?

Told on the phone .41 Magnums okay. Told on-site I can't use jacketed ammo. None for sale either.
Then watching them clear a guy with a .44 Mag into the range with Remington JSP ammo. :mad:
Dipstick at the counter says I can't shoot my 1911 with aluminum grips cuz "you'll loose control of the gun". :confused:
Watching them tell customers they can't use a "hi-cap" mag on the range - must be 10rds or less.
Only exception to 3-second/shot rule is to take one of their expensive "tactical" courses.
Ask about course availability, "sorry all filled up" then clerk walks away.
Asked about 4" wheelgun holster, "we'd have to order it." Takes 6 weeks, pay first. No thanks.
Found a holster for S&W 39 but with an ugly scratch. No discount, pay full price! :eek:
Staff is hardly willing to help you find something you're looking for or answer questions on availability.
I listened to their clerks during a slow period. You don't want to know what they think of people who
- Question a range rule or policy
- Own a nickel gun
- Have stag grips on their guns
- Carry wheelguns (simple tools for simple minds)
- Bring a scoped pistol to their range.
- Come in wearing camo pants or jackets
- Who come in wearing HK, Sig, S&W or other logos on polo shirts

Most of all, when asking about ordering ammo they don't carry (.32 H&R, .44-40) being told a case lot is minimum and when asking the price being told there's a $25 "fee" for special-ordered ammo.

They want to sell stuff and not be bothered to actually help a customer find something they're looking for. And God forbid if you actually challenge something they say if you want any assistance.

Olav
02-09-2009, 5:46 AM
Any idea what the 223 went for? In the past they've been more than fair on case priced pistol ammo...I dunno about rifle ammo though.

$430.00 for 1K PMC

JDoe
02-09-2009, 6:46 PM
Watching them tell customers they can't use a "hi-cap" mag on the range - must be 10rds or less.

That hasn't been my experience having seen other shooters with standard capacity magazines. What they don't want at the range is any possibility of anything illegal so if you walk in with your new handgun and brag about the 11 round mags your buddy smuggled into California from Nevada they aren't going to let you shoot.

Only exception to 3-second/shot rule is to take one of their expensive "tactical" courses.

Or if you are law enforcement. On the other hand do you really want to allow just anyone to shoot rapid fire and possibly lose control of where they are shooting?

Never had that experience. Usually they tell me about the upcoming courses as I'm checking out after shooting. I've never tried to get into a course only to get told it was all filled up.

Asked about 4" wheelgun holster, "we'd have to order it." Takes 6 weeks, pay first. No thanks.

Maybe they've had too many people order things, not pay and never pick them up once the goods arrived. I've ordered holsters from them and paid at the time I made the order thinking nothing of it.

Found a holster for S&W 39 but with an ugly scratch. No discount, pay full price! :eek:

That hasn't been my experience.

Staff is hardly willing to help you find something you're looking for or answer questions on availability.

Not my experience either. Rick is always willing/wanting to help out and help find what will work for you. Eric is always ready to help and a couple of other guys I don't know the names of are always willing to listen to me and answer my questions that they have probably heard thousands of times before from other people.

I listened to their clerks during a slow period. You don't want to know what they think of people who

I question their range rules or policies all the time and follow-up with reliable sources for my information. It doesn't look like they shun me when I walk through the door and some actually seem to enjoy talking with me.

Rick likes wheelguns, heck Reeds sells and rents wheelguns I can't imagine that having seen nearly every gun ever made that they could have anything against people who carry wheelguns.

Most of all, when asking about ordering ammo they don't carry (.32 H&R, .44-40) being told a case lot is minimum and when asking the price being told there's a $25 "fee" for special-ordered ammo.

Not having some ammo in stock is a pain but they are in business to make money. When I've asked for ammo that they don't stock they have always asked me if they could order me some. They never mentioned a $25 fee but I didn't order the ammo from them either.

They want to sell stuff and not be bothered to actually help a customer find something they're looking for. And God forbid if you actually challenge something they say if you want any assistance.

Once again this hasn't been my experience. I've found them all to be very helpful, willing to listen to me and find solutions for what works for me. As far as what happens if you challenge anything they say, I challenge them whenever I hear something I don't agree with--which isn't often and they still want to work with me and provide great customer service.

Blue
02-09-2009, 6:48 PM
Come to think of it, I did bring some wheel guns in there once and got a brisk warning about not shooting their ceilings up.

bwiese
02-09-2009, 6:56 PM
Reed's Indoor range?

I'd rather be found dead, face down in my cat's litterbox than go there again.

Why?

Told on the phone .41 Magnums okay. Told on-site I can't use jacketed ammo. None for sale either.
Then watching them clear a guy with a .44 Mag into the range with Remington JSP ammo. :mad:
Dipstick at the counter says I can't shoot my 1911 with aluminum grips cuz "you'll loose control of the gun". :confused:

- Own a nickel gun
- Have stag grips on their guns
- Bring a scoped pistol to their range.
- Come in wearing camo pants or jackets
- Who come in wearing HK, Sig, S&W or other logos on polo shirts

Hmm.

Knowing you, I don't doubt your experience one bit - however I do think you just got a "bad staffer day".

I and the late Parag shot there quite a few times without any hassles, and I was using hicap mags in some of my guns, and we were also shooting 44Mag wheelguns (single & double action). Ammo was generally FMJ ball, but JSPs or RNLs for the 44.

Been awhile I need to get some trigger time there...

Perhaps have a quiet conversation with Eric, he's a nice guy. I think things would 'get right' after that.

dfens
02-09-2009, 7:43 PM
I plan on going tomorrow to see how it is haven't been their in awhile last time was before they expanded. Much cleaner and nicer range than TMW but more expensive. At least it's closer to my house. They have their good days and their bad days. Unlike TMW you can do head shots on your targets without being yelled at. Pisses me off no rapid fire how in the hell am I going to know how tight of a group my gun can shoot if I have to wait 3 dam seconds.

But yeah some of their staff can be dicks and act all snobish. I went in a once to buy a strider knife since they are a dealer. Didn't see the one I wanted. Asked the guy at the counter oh my god he just lost them a sale on a 400 dollar knife.

Wanted to know if they could get the one I wanted, he had no idea. How much will it cost, no idea. If I order when will it arrive, whenever. I have to leave a 100 deposit to order, ok so if it takes too long can I cancel and get that back, hell no. Was willing to buy it at full MSRP and the bastard blew me off wasn't willing to dig through catalog to get my order started. So I said F'em. I got it online for over 25 percent off plus no tax or shipping.

And all the smack that talk about people, keep your dam opinions to yourself. Over heard how 9mm guns no matter which one are junk and they're for pussies. I heard from a guy who heard from a guy that he shot someone with a 9mm and he didn't go down. Now if it was a .45 acp all it would take is one shot. Guess what kind of gun was on his hip a 1911 all the staff seem to pack 1911's. I wonder if I were to put down a 1911 they probably throw me out on my ***.

Please lord if I look at a gun for sale, that someone will actually help me instead of making me wait 15-30 minutes so you can finish your conversation on what ever is taking up your precious time like the old store on alum rock. You're their to help customers and sale guns if you blow me off I'll buy else where.

I need a few other nick nacks so wish me luck.

RudyN
02-09-2009, 8:16 PM
I haven't had any problem with them. They never said anything about waiting 3 secs. between shots and I rented a 9mm XD there to try it out, no problems with that and then I bought one the next day. However, I do already have two .45s

Bowser
02-09-2009, 8:30 PM
Unlike TMW you can do head shots on your targets without being yelled at. Pisses me off no rapid fire how in the hell am I going to know how tight of a group my gun can shoot if I have to wait 3 dam seconds

If I let one person do it, then I have to let everyone do it. And we all know not everyone can actually hit their targets whilst rapid firing. I have a hard enough time telling newbs not to do it and watching the wood from the ceiling get blasted away or having to reline the carrier system all the time. Relining = waslking to the end of the bay and getting a lot of lead going into my system. No thanks.

BillCA
02-09-2009, 8:49 PM
Hmm.

Knowing you, I don't doubt your experience one bit - however I do think you just got a "bad staffer day".

I'd like to think so too. My last experience there was in May of last year or so. A local had said they'd stopped letting people fire magnums, so I called ahead. Sure. Fine. Then at the range they see the .41 and it's "no jacketed ammo". And of course they don't even carry LSWC for it.

But the comments I've heard the staff make whilst browsing in prior trips doesn't make me feel warm & fuzzy. And last March I asked about the holsters and their attitude was one of annoyance rather than helpful.

Oh yes, I asked about "challenging" the tactical course requirement. Their answer was only if Awerbuck passed you. But if you ask how to arrange that, you have to sign up for the course and pay the $300 for it before being allowed in the same breathing space. You know where they can pound a cream cheese dildo for that policy.

Maybe something changed over the last summer, but their prior attitude has me very biased against them.

technique
02-09-2009, 9:13 PM
I like Reeds, but its the last range on my list. Some nice guys there.

capitol
02-09-2009, 10:27 PM
I like Reeds indoor. The staff has always been friendly and helpful.

Do they have reloading supplies out yet?

I asked about it the last time I was in there and they weren't sure if they had the room.

Rob Roy
02-09-2009, 10:54 PM
I like them, except they are not cheap and 3 sec rule. This defeats the purpose of practicing such essential skills as double tap and rapid target acquisition.

wildhawker
02-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Chainsaw is right on the money- if you're a solo new walk-in and/or no regular with you (in other words, if all the credibility you have is a declaration of the skills you possess), Reed's will probably not be very amenable to free run of the place. However, when you shoot regularly, are respectful, friendly and considerate of their range they definitely become friendly and certain restrictions may be lifted. I know some may have a bad taste (and I'm sure for good reason), but I am positive that one would find Reed's to be a fantastic place to shoot if given an opportunity. As in all things, building a relationship with the staff will go far in making your visits more enjoyable.

BillCA
02-10-2009, 1:09 AM
Reed's is not about warm and fuzzy. If you have a real problem with them, talk to Eric. If you want to feel warm and fuzzy, I recommend Markley's in Watsonville.
Yup. They were open about 9 months before I knew they were there. Once we checked 'em out, my boss and I would shoot .22's there on our lunch hour at least once a week to de-stress. The best part was the guy who ran the range were very helpful to first time buyers and would offer advice to novice shooters.

It also helps to be LEO. It also helps if you are a regular customer. It also helps if you shoot in the Monday night league. If there are few people around and you demonstrate good control, they will let you shoot faster. If you politely ask, they may even unlock the right half of the range, and you can have it to yourself. No Awerbuck class required.
So... if I understand what you said, it helps if you're a government agent or you've spent several hundred dollars with them before they will permit you to shoot normally? Mind you, I asked them what was required to shoot double-taps or at least one round/sec and they said I first had to take a "tactical handgun class". When I saw the price tag of $300 :eek: I asked if there was someone who could "qualify" customers who were obviously skilled. In the end, I asked about availability of the classes and was told "we're all booked up for the next six months".

A lot is about being polite and respectful and nice to them. Many of the staff there have a military or law enforcement attitude: If you treat them with respect, and make it clear that you are their superior (by age, social status, shooting skills, rank, something like that), they will be helpful and forthcoming. If you act like a punk, you will be treated accordingly. Anger does not help.
Certainly. In person, you're dealing with a moderately soft-spoken, 50-something male with well cared for, high quality guns in range boxes who is asking "how can I..." or "what's the procedure to..." and being treated as if his questions were a bother to respond to.

If your attitude is best described by comments such as "pound a cream cheese dildo", then I predict that Reed's and you will not get along.
See above. Also note that this wasn't just one visit, but the cummulative impression of more than 4 visits to the range between fall 2007 and spring 2008.

In general, if you want to shoot rapid, go to Jackson Arms.
Good advice - go elsewhere. Like a 72 mile drive.

Quite a few people have posted positive responses about their visits to Reeds. Maybe it is because I'm over 50, don't shoot there "frequently", and don't have a need to buy anything from them but range time. Even if that's it, there's no excuse for their attitude.

jazman
02-10-2009, 12:49 PM
I've never had a problem with Reeds. I treat them with respect and they treat me with respect. I like my wheelguns and usually will shoot a Python, 642 and sometimes a 581. I also will put a couple hundred through a G19. Sometimes shoot some .357 through a Trapper, and .22 through a Henry. I use standard cap mags in my G19 and have never been questioned. It's clean, well lighted and they have fun things to eyeball after shooting. Glad to say no complaints from me.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-10-2009, 4:35 PM
It still feels weird going in there; having run the place for most of the 90's when it was National Shooting Club.
Like being a stranger in your own house.

And if they ever ask nicely I can tell them where *all* the holes are.

dfens
02-10-2009, 10:09 PM
Well stopped by their today as planned, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be still had to wait like usual.

Went looking for a bunch of misc stuff to buy and to see what kind of prices they have boy was I shocked.

Browsed some peltor hearing protection gear. One was what list price was so that was cool. Another model the lesser grade one was over 12 bucks over MSRP. Not cool.

Looked at maybe a new carry knife, really interested in a emerson but they had the price covered up which is stupid and I got tired of waiting for help.

Wanted to buy some Federal HST they don't even stock it, so I have to come back when a certain guy is their to maybe order it, hope that goes well.

Inquired about a case of ammo they wanted 240 bucks for federal american eagle 9mm. Seems kind of high I'll see if I can do better on line. for 200 or less I might have bought a case on the spot.

They were wiped out on blade tech holsters unless your left handed.

Need a new safe for all my pistols was nice to see the stack on I had been eying, unfortunately it's a piece of crap. Price was ok compared to other places I can't fault them if the product is junk. I'll end up buying something more sturdy and better.

Gun prices are way up either that or I haven't bought one in awhile new. For a standard Glock 570 that's 20 more than they usually sale them for. Plus they are out of the model 19 and a few other guns. Can't blame them if everyone keeps buying like crazy.

What irked me was they charge a 5 dollar fee on top of the DROS and claim it's standard procedure but don't say flat out hey I'm charging 5 dollars extra because I can and to people who don't know shouldn't. Oh but they post a sign in nice clever wording so they don't get in trouble with the state and word it so no one suspects anything.

The guy on staff should just sale guns and not worry too much about the latter. Two separate customers had no idea what they wanted and had no experience so he tried pushing Glocks his personal favorite and oh course signing up for classes at 125 bucks a pop. Now classes I understand but if they don't want to then that's their problem. Still kind of flakey claiming Glock will service and repair any gun no questions asked for life compared to everyone else s warranty which sucks. Yeah I bet they'll replace a destroyed gun due to reloads too huh.

Next finally it was my turn asked about a Sig 239 and 226 price wise oh my god. The 239 with NS was almost 800 bucks, while a 226 no NS was 860 almost 900. Who in the hell pays these prices. **** for that I might as well buy that HK 45 I always wanted. And I could have swore I over heard they charge 180 for a out of state transfer. Forget that even if DROS is included.

Oh forget renting a gun if you have little to no experience. They will flat out refuse. Back in the day they would give you a quick run down not anymore. Well at least that doesn't apply to me and most on this forum, it's bad for all the new guys.

So in the end bought a few cleaning supplies didn't care how much it was seemed fair and I didn't want to go to another shop.

I'd probably go back but I remember when this place was National shooting club and it was a much better store and range wise back in the day. Wish it would strive to be like it was before they took over. Well at least the guys working their were a lot more friendly than they use to be. But I know I should speak up more but if I am standing in one place like I am waiting for help they should at least come over and see if I need something. That's what I do at my job and if not I ask the customer let me know when you do need to see something or have a question.

ElToro
02-10-2009, 10:24 PM
looks like theres some Greed's apologists on this thread. I have been shooting there about 8x a year for the last 4-5 years with my shooting buddy and he goes about 2x as often as he lives down the block they still treat me like im an idiot. they treat him like a prince, theres 2 or 3 guys that run the rental counter that are cool, the rest are quite self confident.

now if they could just get the ghetto clientele from alum rock to follow them to the new shop, all the ambiance ive grown to love for the last 20 years would be worth it.

chickenfried
02-10-2009, 10:25 PM
I am feeling so grateful for Jackson Arms right now...

TheBundo
02-11-2009, 2:19 AM
Can't say I'm too crazy about Reed's. I probably won't be going back

lehn20
02-11-2009, 5:22 AM
1 shot per 3 seconds!!! Are u kidden' me.
The worst I have seen was 1 shot per second.

No wonder I never shoot indoors!.

They will go out of business eventually.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-11-2009, 8:59 AM
^actually they won't.
Even if they have the worst customer service in the land (not saying they do, mind you) but they're in an excellent geographical spot. Think about it; for the South Bay, if you want to go shoot at lunch (and back in the day when it was NSC, we had a very strong lunch crowd - mainly from all the tech industry in the area) where are you going to go? When it rains and you don't want to shoot outdoors? Man we used to be packed on rainy weekends.
No, they won't go out of business and I highly doubt they will ever have any competition in the area (what are the chances another indoor range will be allowed to open in any area of Santa Clara or San Jose?).
So unless the place burns to the ground, they'll do just fine.

I just wish that when the owners of National had retired that I'd had the money to buy the place and run it. Calguns clubhouse anyone?

thedrickel
02-11-2009, 10:10 AM
I am feeling so grateful for Jackson Arms right now...

+1 !

mur
02-11-2009, 10:22 AM
I've always had good times at Reeds, then again I don't talk to anybody or purchase anything.

QuarterBoreGunner
02-11-2009, 10:25 AM
^ And it's people like you (and there are plenty of them) that will keep Reed's in business for ever; people that are just looking to be left alone and shoot. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Sort of how I deal with Frye's Electronics - If I know exactly what I want and exactly where it is, I'm golden. But if I have to ask a question or interact with a 'sales person' it turns into a crap shoot.

mur
02-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Whenever I'm in Frys I get the urge to choke people

j1133s
02-11-2009, 10:58 AM
1 shot per 3 seconds!!! Are u kidden' me.
The worst I have seen was 1 shot per second.

No wonder I never shoot indoors!.

They will go out of business eventually.

Reeds is not bad. They'll let you do rapid fire if you just ask them. I found that the 2 indoor ranges that I've been to so far in the bay area allowed rapid fire and have friendly staff. Reed's is a fine indoor range, in fact, it is one of the best that I've been to w/ good ventilation, lighting, and target tracks. The only thing that's keeping me away from Reed's is their distance from me.

Wicked K5
02-11-2009, 12:27 PM
I went to Reed's a couple weeks ago and was pretty satisfied with the service. I dealt with one of the range counter guys, Josh I believe was his name. He was very insightful with my questions (I'm new to the sport) and even let me handle some rental Glocks and an XD. Another older gentleman, I don't recall his name, wasn't so friendly however when I went over to the new gun section. But to give him the benefit of a doubt, before me, he was helping a few guys who were handling everything from scoped rifles to 1911s & tactical shotguns (they didn't even know what a Benelli was) and seemed pretty annoyed with them. I'm in the motorcycle industry and when people come into our shop who are new to the sport, we give them the same courtesy and respect that we give our "regulars." I'm sure it's the same for firearms, but in our sport we try to encourage newcomers to experience the pleasure and responsibility that comes with owning/riding a piece of powersports equipment.

Since I'm in the market for my first handgun, I've been trying to compare pricing with local shops and online. Is it just me or do the prices at most San Jose area shops seem to be about 10% higher than other places? I'm down in Hollister, so either way I'll need to travel to pick up my piece, unless I find something at Markley's.

Zesty
02-11-2009, 1:32 PM
^Is Josh a shorter, somewhat heavier-set guy? I've been to Reed's Indoor Range a few times and that guy seems to be consistently the most friendly and welcoming. I think that's his name anyways. Other guys seem to be hit-or-miss.

Wicked K5
02-11-2009, 2:23 PM
^Is Josh a shorter, somewhat heavier-set guy? I've been to Reed's Indoor Range a few times and that guy seems to be consistently the most friendly and welcoming. I think that's his name anyways. Other guys seem to be hit-or-miss.

Yeah that was him. Yancy also walked up during our conversation and gave some helpful answers as well. Both real cool.

GeneralBacardi
02-11-2009, 8:07 PM
?

ROTFLMAO!
:rofl2:

Blue
02-13-2009, 12:11 AM
Stopped in there tonite, and checked it out. I hadn't been there since before they closed the other shop down. It wasn't too busy, there was actually parking in the alley, and they didn't have any snooty golf shop music on. I was alittle dissapointed that they didn't have the glass cases anymore with all of the gun parts in your face. Alot of that stuff is hanging up on the wall now, behind the counter and it was alittle hard for me to check everything out. They had a "sold" GSG5 on the rack. Looked really neat, I haven't seen one in person until tonite. Everyone was polite, and friendly. I was impressed with how things were going since the last time I was there. Maybe sometime this weekend I'll stop off to shoot.

Turbinator
02-13-2009, 3:59 PM
They had a "sold" GSG5 on the rack. Looked really neat, I haven't seen one in person until tonite.

That GSG has been there for 1 week now. I wonder if the new owner is still on the 10 day wait.

Turby

gimmejr
02-13-2009, 7:32 PM
I like how they sell AR accessories but wont transfer OLLs.

Salty
02-13-2009, 7:35 PM
Overpriced, way overpriced.