PDA

View Full Version : Perpetuating Stereotypes

MajorBoothroyd
02-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Hello all. This is my second post on CalGuns, so bear with me.

Here's a pet peeve. On a regular basis, I have the opportunity to visit a California shop that displays the various California codes relating to gun handling and safety. I've seen this type of signage up and down the state in stores, ranges and at gun shows.

The insect up my backside is that, in spite of having pointed out that there is a glaring typographical error on the sign, nobody seems to care.

Other than the pedantic annoyance of the error every time I pass by the sign, there is something about the misconceived notion of the firearms enthusiast as as a single helix, knuckle dragging troglodyte that is perpetuated by such laziness.

Talk me down?
Agree?
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

http://homepage.mac.com/antal/photo.jpg

Knight
02-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Is insury what happens when insurance companies come to collect money from you?

PorkLover
02-08-2009, 12:43 AM
there's your loophole.........i'm with you....pure laziness....

smle-man
02-08-2009, 7:38 AM
"Resutling"? That is nothing compared to a Caltrans sign on the 5 freeway by Sylmar that has 'axle' spelled 'axel' and has been that way for years.

Kid Stanislaus
02-08-2009, 7:41 AM
Is insury what happens when insurance companies come to collect money from you?

That could be the "resut" alright!

Fjold
02-08-2009, 8:27 AM
The gross grammar violation is that monster, run-on sentence.

tsname
02-08-2009, 8:41 AM
The gross grammar violation is that monster, run-on sentence.

Correct, too many commas, not enough periods.

It seriously bothers me to see signs that are misspelled or have poor grammar. It bothers me to an Adrian Monk level that sometimes I have to take a pen or sharpie to the sign and fix it myself.

MajorBoothroyd
02-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the response!

"Resutling in inusry" is still the killer for me. But it does seem that Shatner wrote the text. If, you, know, what, I, mean...

Extra points for anyone that can identify the offending establishment.

Super bonus points if you can get them to fix the sign. I'm nervous about pulling out my red Sharpie in a room full of armed staff.

1911_Mitch
02-08-2009, 12:15 PM
Dog Gamnit - And there's always the 'small' print.

Tarn_Helm
02-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Hello all. This is my second post on CalGuns, so bear with me.

Here's a pet peeve. On a regular basis, I have the opportunity to visit a California shop that displays the various California codes relating to gun handling and safety. I've seen this type of signage up and down the state in stores, ranges and at gun shows.

The insect up my backside is that, in spite of having pointed out that there is a glaring typographical error on the sign, nobody seems to care.

Other than the pedantic annoyance of the error every time I pass by the sign, there is something about the misconceived notion of the firearms enthusiast as as a single helix, knuckle dragging troglodyte that is perpetuated by such laziness.

Talk me down?
Agree?
Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

http://homepage.mac.com/antal/photo.jpg

Why do you assume that the proprietors can read (or that they care)?

If it really bugs you, find some CA case law in which a warning or disclaimer was found invalid due to errors in how it was composed.

If there is no such case law, then take a deep breath and ponder your own superiority.

aplinker
02-08-2009, 1:00 PM
Step 1 - measure size of word
Step 2 - make stickers of same size with word "injury"
Step 3 - cover all signs you encounter
Step 4 - drink beer and gloat over your superiority and problem-solving skills.

squishyhead
02-08-2009, 1:37 PM
Regarding this law, isn't there a qualifier that you can only be convicted if you have probable reason to suspect a minor could obtain one of your firearms. In other words this law would apply to a parent whose 16 year old took one of their guns to school, but not the childless bachelor who was robbed and had his gun stolen from his nightstand or something like that?

oldschool88
02-08-2009, 4:37 PM
Regarding this law, isn't there a qualifier that you can only be convicted if you have probable reason to suspect a minor could obtain one of your firearms. In other words this law would apply to a parent whose 16 year old took one of their guns to school, but not the childless bachelor who was robbed and had his gun stolen from his nightstand or something like that?

I certianly hope so. The way I see it just like a safe keeps out children that live in a house, my locked door keeps out those who are not supposed to be there. If a child forcefully breaks into either of these it is their problem, not mine.

Capt. Speirs
02-08-2009, 6:10 PM
Phew, just checked mine, other than the run on sentence, it is spelled correctly.

tankerman
02-08-2009, 6:25 PM
Are those signs at Bullseye in San Rafeal?

MajorBoothroyd
02-09-2009, 7:41 AM

Well played sir! Minus half a point for misspelling San Rafael in the process. ;)

DedEye
02-10-2009, 12:17 AM

Recognized it right away as well. I shoulda logged in and posted ;).

Trench Broom
02-12-2009, 8:25 PM
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm89/howdybub/inusryordeath.jpg

Great - now I'm going be thinking of that word evey time I see those posted signs from now on! Props on your username and avatar - I wonder how many people recognize that name as opposed to his more well-known designation?

OiCu812
02-12-2009, 8:54 PM
It looks like the message has quotes.

Someone miss spoke or was quoted incorrectly?

hoffmang
02-12-2009, 9:09 PM
The text itself is mandated by the Penal Code 12071. Arguably the misspellings are a violation of the Penal Code.

The poor grammar is your legislature at work.

-Gene

SFFRONTMAN
02-12-2009, 9:23 PM
That looks like the Bullseye Lobby :).

bear308
02-12-2009, 9:44 PM
hell, I had to go check our sign. Spelled correctly, but never cared to check until now.

gdr_11
02-13-2009, 2:56 PM
I kent undorstand wot all the fuzz is all abot

badtrout
02-13-2009, 3:07 PM
I kent undorstand wot all the fuzz is all abot

i caint neethur

JerryM
02-13-2009, 3:15 PM
their website is none too good either LOL:

.... under Who Can Shoot?

Anyone! As long as you are over 7 years of age and have a parent or gaurdian with you if you are under 18.

.... under Law Enforcement:

We support those who keep our comminities safe!

.... under Tactical:

We also have a complete like of MOLE Gear and vests.

I don't think they are perpetuating an stereotype. I think they are very nice people who have hired some kid with dyslexia.

Very forward thinking of them.