PDA

View Full Version : Carmen Trutanich for City Attorney

lioneaglegriffin
02-07-2009, 9:12 PM
I remember seeing in the LA Times that he was Pro-gun and there were some that were accusing him of a NRA lackey if thats the case then im voting for him. Just asking what anyone knows about him and his positions?

lioneaglegriffin
02-07-2009, 9:18 PM
started to mine apparently the brady's don't really like him.

http://www.bradycampaign.org/media/release.php?release=1102

i'm sold but i would like to know additional info.

Edit: also i suggest anyone else in LA to vote for him march 3 as well

foxtrotuniformlima
02-07-2009, 9:50 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=122678

lioneaglegriffin
02-07-2009, 9:52 PM
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=122678

thx!

bwiese
02-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Here's my older post. I really should nail it up again, will do it tomorrow.

Carmen Trutanich can definitely use contributions for his campaign to get his message out.

Understand that the City Attorney is not always directly immersed in gun issues, but having a rational person in that slot that understands folks can't be charged for non-crimes will be most helpful. Remember that people in this slot often move onward and upward too, so helping Carmen get some footing now can pay off in the future.

.................................................. ....................

LA RESIDENTS: VOTE FOR THE 'NUCH! (CARMEN TRUTANICH) FOR LA CITY ATTORNEY!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
As some of you know, Carmen "Nuch" Trutanich is running for LA City Attorney. I've chatted with him and he's a great guy - and many of you may know Nuch is Chuck Michel's (the "T" of TMLLP fame) law partner, so Nuch's beliefs should be pretty obvious to most of us here ;)http://www.carmentrutanich.com/
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13513&d=1222304507

Nuch can use your help in his fight against the odious Jack Weiss, one of the most anti-gun local politicians (LA City Council) out there. Weiss has been part of just about every bad gun law coming out of LA. Nuch wants to (and has, in a prior DA job) lock up armed gang members [instead of prosecuting 53-yr old plumbers for the wrong piece of metal on their rifle].

Here's one article about gangs & illegal immigration enforcement:
http://www.citywatchla.com/content/view/1497/75/

Help Nuch out and fight Weiss' money pit: Nuch needs funds by OCTOBER 12 filing deadline; you can donate at:

http://www.carmentrutanich.com/donations.htm
... or you can call (818) 905-5420 (Alice Borden Co. is assisting with donation processing). Nuch appreciates whatever you can donate.

It'd be really nice to ensure Jack Weiss' unemployment and put a good guy in there who, even outside our specific goals of fair application of law & crime prevention, would serve LA well. Having a friendly city attorney for one of the largest cities in the nation, one who understands gun laws and 'gun people' like us, can only help us statewide. Stuff like this propagates nicely: city attorneys and DAs do indeed talk :) - think how this might have helped situations like BWO's.

Nuch would be replacing incumbent LA City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo, another antigunner who has brought his office into disrepute thru various shenanigans - driving his personal vehicle without insurance, letting his unlicensed wife drive his city-issued vehicle (while there was an outstanding bench warrant for her), and being fined for 30-odd campaign finance violations. (All of which are wholly aside from his being a member of the Villarraigosa 'machine'.)

Nuch has a good shot at winning because folks seem to be tiring of the antics in the LACA office and want a regular attorney to do the City's work - not a politician using the office as a steppingstone or 'waiting room' to some other office. There are practical reasons for folks of all walks of life wanting a seasoned practicing attorney in the office: millions of dollars in city contracts/expenditures and many issues concerning quality of life are at stake, and many of these need skilled execution regardless of politics.

1911_sfca
02-07-2009, 10:12 PM
The fact that he's "T" in TMLLP, the infamous SoCal gun rights law firm was enough to get a campaign contribution from me, all the way from SF! :-)

lioneaglegriffin
02-07-2009, 10:47 PM
i think i'll volunteer on days im not in school.

lioneaglegriffin
02-07-2009, 11:14 PM
Here's my older post. I really should nail it up again, will do it tomorrow.

Carmen Trutanich can definitely use contributions for his campaign to get his message out.

Understand that the City Attorney is not always directly immersed in gun issues, but having a rational person in that slot that understands folks can't be charged for non-crimes will be most helpful. Remember that people in this slot often move onward and upward too, so helping Carmen get some footing now can pay off in the future.

.................................................. ....................

LA RESIDENTS: VOTE FOR THE 'NUCH! (CARMEN TRUTANICH) FOR LA CITY ATTORNEY!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
As some of you know, Carmen "Nuch" Trutanich is running for LA City Attorney. I've chatted with him and he's a great guy - and many of you may know Nuch is Chuck Michel's (the "T" of TMLLP fame) law partner, so Nuch's beliefs should be pretty obvious to most of us here ;)http://www.carmentrutanich.com/
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13513&d=1222304507

Nuch can use your help in his fight against the odious Jack Weiss, one of the most anti-gun local politicians (LA City Council) out there. Weiss has been part of just about every bad gun law coming out of LA. Nuch wants to (and has, in a prior DA job) lock up armed gang members [instead of prosecuting 53-yr old plumbers for the wrong piece of metal on their rifle].

Here's one article about gangs & illegal immigration enforcement:
http://www.citywatchla.com/content/view/1497/75/

Help Nuch out and fight Weiss' money pit: Nuch needs funds by OCTOBER 12 filing deadline; you can donate at:

http://www.carmentrutanich.com/donations.htm
... or you can call (818) 905-5420 (Alice Borden Co. is assisting with donation processing). Nuch appreciates whatever you can donate.

It'd be really nice to ensure Jack Weiss' unemployment and put a good guy in there who, even outside our specific goals of fair application of law & crime prevention, would serve LA well. Having a friendly city attorney for one of the largest cities in the nation, one who understands gun laws and 'gun people' like us, can only help us statewide. Stuff like this propagates nicely: city attorneys and DAs do indeed talk :) - think how this might have helped situations like BWO's.

Nuch would be replacing incumbent LA City Attorney Rocky Delgadillo, another antigunner who has brought his office into disrepute thru various shenanigans - driving his personal vehicle without insurance, letting his unlicensed wife drive his city-issued vehicle (while there was an outstanding bench warrant for her), and being fined for 30-odd campaign finance violations. (All of which are wholly aside from his being a member of the Villarraigosa 'machine'.)

Nuch has a good shot at winning because folks seem to be tiring of the antics in the LACA office and want a regular attorney to do the City's work - not a politician using the office as a steppingstone or 'waiting room' to some other office. There are practical reasons for folks of all walks of life wanting a seasoned practicing attorney in the office: millions of dollars in city contracts/expenditures and many issues concerning quality of life are at stake, and many of these need skilled execution regardless of politics.
and the donations link does not work anymore use this instead.

https://donate.tru09.com/

wash
02-08-2009, 9:15 AM
If I had just raped a girl or got caught with a bunch of drugs or did some other awful thing I would strongly consider hiring Nuch.

If I were innocent I would look elsewhere.

He's the go to guy for USC "student" athletes when they get arrested. Some of those athletes claim to "own the police".

I was hoping that he was just a partner and sperate from the firearms part of that law firm.

Of course associating with scum is an occupational hazard for a defence attorney and he may be the lesser of two evils.

Kruzr
02-08-2009, 11:47 AM
In December, his campaign manager issued a statement saying he was not a member of the NRA, does not represent them, and doesn't agree with many of their positions. This was in response to accusations from Jack Weiss. ???

So what's in it for gun owners? Granted, I assume he isn't as bad as what is there now but isn't his job to defend the city in a lawsuit? If the NRA sues LA for the ammo bans they voted in December, he will have to defend the city to do his job.....won't he?

lioneaglegriffin
02-08-2009, 7:22 PM
In December, his campaign manager issued a statement saying he was not a member of the NRA, does not represent them, and doesn't agree with many of their positions. This was in response to accusations from Jack Weiss. ???

So what's in it for gun owners? Granted, I assume he isn't as bad as what is there now but isn't his job to defend the city in a lawsuit? If the NRA sues LA for the ammo bans they voted in December, he will have to defend the city to do his job.....won't he?

you can roll over when you think you will lose, unlike some.

*cough* Gavin Newsome *cough*

CCWFacts
02-08-2009, 7:50 PM
Btw, the city attorney is a very important position for us:

In addition, the City Attorney litigates all civil actions on behalf of the City and represents the City, its boards and officers in all civil trials and legal proceedings in local, state, and federal court.

So, let's say an LA resident applies for a CCW and is denied, and decides to sue. It's the City Attorney who decides how to handle that case. Options range from fighting vigorously to settlements, including confidential settlements. Chief Bratton can do whatever he wants to do, but if the City Attorney chooses not to fight, Bratton can't do anything about it.

I can't say what Carmen would do in a CCW denial lawsuit, but his firm did represent the NRA and runs ads on this forum. And I can tell you exactly what Weiss would do in a CCW lawsuit: he would fight it with every resource available, would make every possible appeal, would risk any amount of legal fees or sanctions to fight it. It should be easy for LA residents to see who they should vote for.

He's not a DA, who would handle felony charges, but he represents the city in civil matters including CCW lawsuits.

I hope everyone can understand how great it would be to get Carmen into that office.

Kruzr
02-08-2009, 7:57 PM
So, let's say an LA resident applies for a CCW and is denied, and decides to sue. It's the City Attorney who decides how to handle that case. Options range from fighting vigorously to settlements, including confidential settlements. Chief Bratton can do whatever he wants to do, but if the City Attorney chooses not to fight, Bratton can't do anything about it.
I believe the City Council and Mayor would make the final decision. The City Attorney's job would be to advise based on a strict interpretation of the laws of the city, state, Constitution, etc. If the City fought the suit, the City Attorney is responsible for defending the City.

brassburnz
02-08-2009, 8:14 PM
If we want to change the way things are in California, let's start in Los Angeles with the City Attorneys office. If we get him elected, we can see what else we can do.

I look at the local politicians and wonder how in the heck did they get there in the first place and why are they still there.

Look at the mayor. Admits to adultry, but wants to take over the school system because he knows what's best for children! And now he's just about a lock for a second term.

Eric Garcetti is my council rep. What did he do before running for office? Nothing I can think of, but he had name recognition. His father was City Attorney Gil Garcetti.

Maybe one day we'll have a candidate we can support for mayor or even more.

lioneaglegriffin
02-08-2009, 9:04 PM
If we want to change the way things are in California, let's start in Los Angeles with the City Attorneys office. If we get him elected, we can see what else we can do.

I look at the local politicians and wonder how in the heck did they get there in the first place and why are they still there.

Look at the mayor. Admits to adultry, but wants to take over the school system because he knows what's best for children! And now he's just about a lock for a second term.

Eric Garcetti is my council rep. What did he do before running for office? Nothing I can think of, but he had name recognition. His father was City Attorney Gil Garcetti.

Maybe one day we'll have a candidate we can support for mayor or even more.

the guy wont even go to a debate with the leading challenger walter moore.

Fate
02-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Have started to see signs for TRUtanich being posted around town. They look good!

lioneaglegriffin
03-30-2009, 2:35 PM
Got a email from the trutanich campaign with encouraging news.

Dear Friend,

On March 3rd, 64% of voters in Los Angeles voted for change. 64% of voters sent a message to Jack Weiss that they weren’t happy with the status quo and want an independent, professional prosecutor as City Attorney. We pulled off the biggest upset on election day forcing him into a runoff. The LA Times story on March 5th summarized Weiss’s situation well:

“It’s a blow—there’s no way around that. He had the most money, the most mailers and definitely the most TV time. For someone with this kind of name recognition, the backing of the mayor and the police chief, to NOT break 40% means he is seriously wounded.”

On May 19th, voters will have the opportunity to make their final decision based on the two candidates remaining. The choice could never be more clear—the contrast never more stark. Jack Weiss represents business as usual in City Hall and I represent reform and change. Change is scary to the entrenched interests. It won’t come easy. They will fight to the bitter end to protect their piece of the pie. We must do the same.

We have the momentum to do this. Just yesterday, we were elated to learn the results from a new poll showing us surging 8% in just one week since election day and are now in a dead heat with Weiss: 35%-35% with 30% of voters undecided. The poll also indicated that after hearing both positive and negative messages about each candidate, we shot ahead by 30 points! 57% of voters supporting me, compared to only 27% for Weiss. Our support is broad, diverse and touches every part of Los Angeles.

Clearly, these extraordinary polling numbers show that we are well positioned to defeat Weiss in the run-off, if we are well-funded, able to present our case to voters and defend ourselves against the false attacks. Make no mistake the attacks have already begun. After watching his support evaporate, Weiss has decided the only way he can win is to launch an intensely negative, personal smear campaign against me. We can’t let him get away with it.

There are only 8 weeks left and I need your help to finish the job we started. When I entered this race, I put my faith in the power of real citizens like you coming together and building a movement to reform City Hall from the bottom up.

We've come a long way -- and you should feel proud of what we have accomplished together.

But, we can't slow down now. Because I'm buying television time to get our message of change to voters, I'm asking you to consider donating to this effort. Unlike my opponent, I have agreed to abide by the voter approved finance limits and have therefore qualified to receive matching funds. That means every dollar up to $500 will be matched by the City--effectively doubling your contribution! You can make an enormous difference in this campaign if you donate today. With your support, we will take back this City, stop politics as usual and put a true crime fighter in the Los Angeles City Attorney’s office.

Yours Tru-ly,

Poll link:http://www.tru09.com/download/Trutanich%20memo-1.pdf?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_content=LIONEAGLEGRIFFIN%40AOL.COM&utm_campaign=New+Poll+Shows+Trutanich+Surging+in+t he+City+Attorney+Race

If you can please donate to help him beat Jack Weiss who i don't think i have to remind anyone here is NOT a friend of Gun Onwers. Every little bit helps.

https://donate.tru09.com

lioneaglegriffin
05-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Dear TRU Friends,

We are less than two weeks from Election Day. We have been on the campaign trail with our grassroots message for eighteen months. Yes, we have come so far, but this is no time to slow down. I am counting on your ACTIVE support in new and old ways. First, catch up on our news. Then, pick up your phone, reach out to your email buddies, make your final donation, and ask every friend to help bring this race home!

Here is an update of the most current news surrounding the City Attorney’s race:

John and Ken and Doug McIntyre Vote Trutanich:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
During Monday evening drive time, I was interviewed on the John and Ken Show. At the end of their segment, John and Ken announced on air that they will vote for me. Doug McIntyre also welcomed me to his broadcast, again urging his listeners to vote Trutanich. These are TRU badges of honor since my hosts are known for their distrust of politicians. Their point is also mine: I am a lawyer, not a politician. Click here (http://www.poised.com/emailmarketer/link.php?M=32958&N=263&L=54&F=H") for John and Ken, or here (http://www.poised.com/emailmarketer/link.php?M=32958&N=263&L=53&F=H) for the Doug McIntyre podcast.

TRU Lawn Signs Are Ready for Pick Up:
Due to the overwhelming demand for lawn signs, we have ordered a whole new batch. Call the campaign office at (818) 308-7400 to reserve yours now! From now through Election Day, our headquarters, at 12524 Ventura Boulevard in Studio City, will open from 10 to noon on Saturdays, in addition to weekday business hours, for sign pick up. The signs go quickly, so don't delay!

Trutanich Debates on KCRW Which Way LA:
Last week I debated my opponent, Jack Weiss, on KCRW Which Way LA. His voice cracked when I asked him about his most recent violation of our ethics laws, the hosting of an illegal fundraiser. It is stunning to me that Weiss seeks election to the post responsible for enforcing the very laws that he routinely breaks. Click here (http://www.poised.com/emailmarketer/link.php?M=32958&N=263&L=56&F=H) to listen to the KCRW podcast.

LA Times EndorsesTrutanich…Again!:
The LA Times endorsed me in the primary and has strengthened its message of support for this runoff election: “Trutanich would bring a fresh perspective to City Hall, along with the experience to deal with crime, the backbone to defend the city against lawsuits and threats of lawsuits, and an understanding of the many wearying assaults on neighborhoods that this office is best equipped to combat, from graffiti to dumping to illegal billboards.” Click here (http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-ed-attorney4-2009may04,0,4749869.story?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_content=LIONEAGLEGRIFFIN%40AOL.COM&utm_campaign=TRU+News%3A+Campaign+Update) to read the entire editorial.

I appreciate all you have done for me and I will never forget it.

Don’t forget to vote on May19th!

Yours TRU-ly,
Carmen Trutanich

CCWFacts
05-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I remember seeing in the LA Times that he was Pro-gun and there were some that were accusing him of a NRA lackey if thats the case then im voting for him. Just asking what anyone knows about him and his positions?

What I know is I got a robocall from the NRA urging me to vote for Tru. Unfortunately I'm not able to (I'm not in the city of LA) but obviously, gun owners who are should vote for him.

lioneaglegriffin
05-09-2009, 11:43 PM
What I know is I got a robocall from the NRA urging me to vote for Tru. Unfortunately I'm not able to (I'm not in the city of LA) but obviously, gun owners who are should vote for him.

i know his stated position now, for AWB, follow any law on books. (didn't say much about fighting a challenge to said laws) at worst he is neutral on gun control but jack wiess comparably much worse

CCWFacts
05-09-2009, 11:57 PM
i know his stated position now, for AWB, follow any law on books. (didn't say much about fighting a challenge to said laws) at worst he is neutral on gun control but jack wiess comparably much worse

He's stating the position he needs to state to be a viable candidate in Los Angeles. If the NRA is robocalling for him, then there's a good reason for that, and a good reason to vote for him.

Jack Weiss is truly horrible. It's important to not have him in the city government. Also, LA city attorney could be a stepping stone for various other positions, including state-level positions, and we do not Mr. Weiss' career to gain traction.

Back in the early 1960s, the governor appointed a woman to the Women's Parole Board, the first political position this woman had ever had. No biggie, right? Who cares about such minor stuff? Well, this particular woman went from there to get on the Board of Supervisors. From there, she became president of the Board of Supes, and then became a mayor. Still, no big deal, right? She then went on to become California's national-level senator. All from a career that started on the Womens' Parole Board and a seat on the Board of Supes.

It's very important to stop the careers of guys like Weiss as early as possible. If he wins as city attorney, who knows, ten or twenty years from now he could be running for a state-level office (assembly, senate, AG, etc), or a national-level office (representative or who knows what else). If we can weed out guys like that, it will really pay off years from now.

eflatminor
05-10-2009, 6:05 AM
Trutanich may not be perfect or quite as passionate about 2A as us, but he's WORLDS better than Weiss. I have already voted for him and done some volunteer work. Closer to the election, I'll help man phone banks. His winning would be a minor victory for the BoRs yet significant given it's LA.

lioneaglegriffin
05-10-2009, 9:21 AM
He's stating the position he needs to state to be a viable candidate in Los Angeles. If the NRA is robocalling for him, then there's a good reason for that, and a good reason to vote for him.

Jack Weiss is truly horrible. It's important to not have him in the city government. Also, LA city attorney could be a stepping stone for various other positions, including state-level positions, and we do not Mr. Weiss' career to gain traction.

Back in the early 1960s, the governor appointed a woman to the Women's Parole Board, the first political position this woman had ever had. No biggie, right? Who cares about such minor stuff? Well, this particular woman went from there to get on the Board of Supervisors. From there, she became president of the Board of Supes, and then became a mayor. Still, no big deal, right? She then went on to become California's national-level senator. All from a career that started on the Womens' Parole Board and a seat on the Board of Supes.

It's very important to stop the careers of guys like Weiss as early as possible. If he wins as city attorney, who knows, ten or twenty years from now he could be running for a state-level office (assembly, senate, AG, etc), or a national-level office (representative or who knows what else). If we can weed out guys like that, it will really pay off years from now.

i agree because he is a career politician looking for his next gig and because he is so anti-gun we should make evey effort to force him go into the private sector where he can do less damage.

and i know about about a candidate saying what they have to say to be viable, see Barack Obama in Duryea, Pa (http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2008/09/05/obama-im-not-going-to-take-your-guns-away/conservative-nyts-eyes)

hoffmang
05-10-2009, 10:55 AM
If you live in LA City, you should be registered and vote for Trutanich.

If you live around the area but can't vote in the election, you should contact the campaign office and volunteer in the weekends before and on election day.

-Gene

SigAlert
05-19-2009, 6:02 AM
VOTE TODAY!!!!!