PDA

View Full Version : Near fatal shooting accidents?

SDgarrick
02-07-2009, 9:16 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wCzOLEoko6o&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wCzOLEoko6o&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I saw this the other day and thought "jesus, this could have been someone's life" so who has any stories? maybe not this intense, but anyone ever see or been a part of something massively stupid or accidental shooting related?"

I've had my face cut from 20' feet away by cylinder blast. It was from a friend firing a model 29. I was exhaling and slowly squeezing my trigger when Booom! "Hmmm, and now my face is bleeding"

fusionstar
02-07-2009, 9:24 PM
This happened last year during my family's camping trip. My cousin.. who just bought his 500 S&W which is his 2nd gun and decides to show off. One goes off and he didn't hold it tight enough, the 2nd round shot in the air about 12 inches from his face. What did he do? drop the gun and started to rub his eyes. The blast blew a fireball or hot gas in his face and had powder residue in his eyes. Yes he was wearing eye pro because I told him too as we were walking to the shooting area. He sold the gun the week later. NEVER EVER give any incompetent or physically weak person a high caliber revolver or handgun. They might just blow there head off. A big gun like the 500 will rip your head clean off and this aint no joke.

fusionstar
02-07-2009, 9:34 PM
This is the same cousin who decided to shoot a sparrow flying by my head.
He muzzle swept me so hard his shotgun muzzle bounced off my head and gave me an inch gash. That very moment.. I thought to myself.. what a horrible way to die.

Loaded 12 GA with 7 1/2 shot 2 3/4" Safety Off, trigger on the finger.

His words.. "oh sht.. haha my bad you alright?"
my response "You fing moron that wasnt fing funny, wtf are you doing anyway.. ahh im fing bleeding"

Lesson learned.. DONT SHOOT WITH IDIOTS. Guys who start unloading there guns before you even unpacked your muffs.

SDgarrick
02-07-2009, 9:41 PM
He muzzle swept me so hard his shotgun muzzle bounced off my head and gave me an inch gash.

I would have taken it away from him, unloaded it, then hit him with it.

dwtt
02-07-2009, 9:51 PM

Let's all hope your uncle only had one offspring and their portion of the genetic lineage didn't get passed down to you or your family.

fusionstar
02-07-2009, 10:00 PM
I haven't spoken to him since 08, I'm glad too.. he hasn't grown up any bit from what his sister tells me. Just another fool who think hes too cool to grow up and act responsibly.

NeoWeird
02-07-2009, 10:09 PM
That video is no 'accident'. You can't blame stupidity and incompetence as an 'accident'.

mecam
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
When you give a newbie a revolver, just load it with one round and see how they react after the shot. Do it several times.

devildog999
02-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I think this entitles you to one free a** whooping

He muzzle swept me so hard his shotgun muzzle bounced off my head and gave me an inch gash. That very moment.. I thought to myself.. what a horrible way to die.

His words.. "oh sht.. haha my bad you alright?"
my response "You fing moron that wasnt fing funny, wtf are you doing anyway.. ahh im fing bleeding"

Lesson learned.. DONT SHOOT WITH IDIOTS. Guys who start unloading there guns before you even unpacked your muffs.

spddrcr
02-08-2009, 2:12 AM
when i was 8 i was shooting with my dad and his friend, said friend thought it would be a good idea to let me shoot his 357. as he is showing me how to aim it he has his hand over the front sight blade and says line this up with the back and then shoot when you are ready.

so what did i do? i pulled the trigger and took the end of his pointer finger off:eek:
I flipped out thinking i had just shot a man and he started to apoligize over and over to me and my father about how he didnt mean to say that. to this day when i instruct people how to shoot i never get my hands anywhere near the gun:thumbsup:

SDgarrick
02-08-2009, 2:44 AM
when i was 8 i was shooting with my dad and his friend, said friend thought it would be a good idea to let me shoot his 357. as he is showing me how to aim it he has his hand over the front sight blade and says line this up with the back and then shoot when you are ready.

so what did i do? i pulled the trigger and took the end of his pointer finger off:eek:
I flipped out thinking i had just shot a man and he started to apoligize over and over to me and my father about how he didnt mean to say that. to this day when i instruct people how to shoot i never get my hands anywhere near the gun:thumbsup:

So... You've shot somebody.

HCz
02-08-2009, 3:49 AM
I think it was purposely done with malice aforethought. The guy behind her already had his hands on her shoulder pushing and smiling. Reminds me of a video I saw sometime ago where a guy has his girlfriend shoot a shotgun/pistol(don't remember which) but he put his hands on her shoulder so the pistol would hit her due to recoil.

When S&W500 came out, some people suggested loading one chamber and leaving the next one empty as a way to go around the problem of second shot going off due to trigger reset and pulling. Sometimes, you just gotta make sure Mr. Murphy is not showing up with Mr. Darwin.

At least the girl in the video was not pointing at other people.

Franksremote
02-08-2009, 4:04 AM
At the World Shoot last year, a squad member from Uraguay shot himself in the foot as he drew his pistol. You read/hear about AD/NDs where folks have shot themselves but to actually see it in real life 20ft in front of you is an eye opener to say the least. Finger on trigger before getting the gun on target got him a round through the center of his foot. He's fully recovered from what I hear...

-- keep safety on and finger off trigger until ready to fire --

Jonathan Doe
02-08-2009, 5:29 AM
When I was an instructor, some recruits had no clue on firearms safety after repeated instructions. I had powder burn on my shirt, toes almost shot off, buck shot go off next to my year, etc. Teaching about 10 to 20 recruits by myself was not an easy task. After 4 1/2 years of that, it got kind of old, and I found a new assignment. I am happy at where I am at.

Also, as a hunter safety instructor, I receive a hunting accident report every year. Many incidents are caused by safety rules violations.

Kid Stanislaus
02-08-2009, 8:37 AM
Also, as a hunter safety instructor, I receive a hunting accident report every year. Many incidents are caused by safety rules violations.

I'll bet if you knew all the details you'd be saying safety rules violations caused about 99% of those "accidents".

eccvets
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
you pays your monies and you takes your chances. They dont call it darwinism for no reason.

Personnaly I found that video halarious!

I also like the video of the black officer which shoots himself cuz he has no trigger discipline in front of an entire class of young students. Mucho halariouso!

1911su16b870
02-08-2009, 10:59 AM
As an experienced shooter, and the first time I shot theS&W 500, I was surprised how hard that firearm recoils. Proper trigger finger discipline can avoid that unfortunate ND.

biscuitninja
02-08-2009, 11:37 AM
EVERY time i've given a person a powerful rifle, I only give them ONE shot at a time before I trust them. I ALWAYS drill them with the basic rules. Sheesh, some people, give them an inch ....

BigDogatPlay
02-08-2009, 10:15 PM
Had a .45 ACP go past my head on the range once, and I was well back of the firing line.

Officer's Browning semi-auto malfuncitoned. He borrowed a 1911 from another officer to finish his course of fire. Followed commands, loaded up, put the hammer to half cock (GTG for a Browning, bad for a 1911) and stuffed the piece into his holster, which being made for a Browning wasn't anything close to a good fit. Bang... the round zipped in between me and another officer after ricocheting off the walkway.

That wasn't fun.

peteboozer
02-09-2009, 5:27 PM
ive never really had any close calls. one time i was shooting my pals Mosin nagant at his home built range and a yellowjacket stung me right on my fireing hand and it made me shoot. luckily i was already aiming and ready to fire.

Turbinator
02-09-2009, 5:42 PM
Officer's Browning semi-auto malfuncitoned. He borrowed a 1911 from another officer to finish his course of fire. Followed commands, loaded up, put the hammer to half cock (GTG for a Browning, bad for a 1911) and stuffed the piece into his holster, which being made for a Browning wasn't anything close to a good fit. Bang... the round zipped in between me and another officer after ricocheting off the walkway.

Whoa. I've never seen anyone use the half cock notch on a 1911. It's only there as a safety mechanism in case the first notch fails. I'd never use it in the manner described here.

Turby

BigDogatPlay
02-09-2009, 8:49 PM
Whoa. I've never seen anyone use the half cock notch on a 1911. It's only there as a safety mechanism in case the first notch fails. I'd never use it in the manner described here.

Turby

Exactly the point. Neither would anyone else who knows anything about a 1911. The officer borrowed a 1911 from another officer when his weapon malfunctioned. With the High Power half cock is a solid stop, acting similar to exposed hammer lever action rifles. With a 1911 it's no safety at all. Unfamiliarity in that case sent a 230 grain FMJ off the concrete behind him and right past my head. I'll never forget that sound.

One of the firearms instructors when I was in the academy used a 1911 that had a bad half cock notch as a demonstration to show that sometimes you can even pull the trigger on a 1911 at half cock and it will go bang. It was a good lesson in safety for a bunch of kids in the academy, many of whom didn't know anything about firearms.

SwissFluCase
02-09-2009, 9:38 PM
New shooters get one round only. They don't get full or even partially loaded magazines until I can see they are handling recoil properly.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

battleship
02-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Im amazed that they found it funny, Laughing in the background, clearly the girl had no clue as to how hard the recoil would be, but im sure the dickhead who was holding onto her shoulders new exactly how bad the recoil would be or he wouldnt of been holding her shoulders.
Hes the idiot, she is just the victim.

Nodda Duma
02-10-2009, 7:27 AM
Im amazed that they found it funny, Laughing in the background, clearly the girl had no clue as to how hard the recoil would be, but im sure the dickhead who was holding onto her shoulders new exactly how bad the recoil would be or he wouldnt of been holding her shoulders.
Hes the idiot, she is just the victim.

The sad thing is, I doubt she shoots anymore.

-Jason

fairfaxjim
02-17-2009, 10:07 AM
That video is the best example of why new shooters should get some competent basic instruction. It doesn't help that these A-holes set her up - you could hear them laughing in the background before she even too the shot. That girl will end up marying one of those dip-wads thinking he loves her when all he cares about is looking stupid while doing some "Jackass" inspired stunt in front of his friends.

gdr_11
02-17-2009, 9:38 PM
I once made the mistake of letting a friend shoot my Walther PPK at the Spenceville range.

I was out shooting my 5-6 pistols with a buddy when an old friend stopped by to shoot his .22. He was intrigued by my auto pistols and asked me a bunch of questions.

I showed him my 1911s and suggested he might want to try my .380 Walther since the recoil was minimal. Even though he had been shooting his own .22 revolver, I gave him a 5 minute safety drill on the Walther and how it worked. I then stuffed in a full mag and stood right next to him as he shot.

He sighted, pulled the trigger to let off a round, and then I was dumbfounded as he brought the pistol down to port-arms with the barrel pointing up and he looked down the muzzle with his finger on the trigger.

I reached to slap the gun away from his face just as he let off a round that missed his nose by maybe a half inch.

I jerked the gun away and proceed to (in my most colorful pre-Christian profanity) call him everything in the book and tell him how close h came to killing himself.

I was so shaken I went home and didn't shoot for a month. I actually had dreams about what his face would have looked like with one of my handloaded hollow points in the middle of it.

7x57
02-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Not on me, no more near-fatal than any other ND, but....

Family story. My dad decided to teach my mom to shoot, lo these many decades ago. He borrowed a .32 auto, on the thought that it would be more friendly than his .38. He drills her on the rules and takes her to the range. She gets the gun pointed downrange, not yet on target, and >BANG<.

He reminds her to keep her finger OFF the trigger until ready to fire. She tries again. Before she's on target, >BANG<.

She insists her finger isn't on the trigger. Of course it has to be, the gun fired, so he chews her out. While he's chewing her out, >BANG<.

He's had enough of this, so he takes the gun away from her to show her how it's done, still chewing her out. He's careful to keep his finger OFF the trigger. Before he gets it on target, >BANG<.

Oops. Maybe the wife wasn't so incompetent after all. :eek:

He returns the pistol with the defective trigger group to its very apologetic owner. And mom never really learned to shoot. She likes to tell the story, though.

Moral: well, I dunno, take your choice. It might be "never let a novice shoot a gun you haven't shot yourself," it might be "know whether your guns are functioning properly before loaning them out, I suppose it could be "semiautos are not the best guns for beginners or if something is going haywire," but it's probably "don't ever let your husband try to teach you to shoot."

7x57

Crusader
02-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Geez, that was intense.

A while back, my friends and I were at an outdoor range shooting handguns. There were no steel targets and no large boulders, at least that we could see within our vacinity. Out of nowhere, there was a loud slap sound and one of my friends just went straight down. We all rushed over and checked him out, and he had about 1/2 of a 9mm sticking out of the dead center of his chest. The bullet stopped on his sternum.

It was just about the scariest thing I'd ever seen. It was weird too, because the bullet was only slightly deformed from where it hit him. We finally decided that the only real explaination was that some dumb *** was shooting into the air or something.

bill104
02-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Wow these stories bring back some nightmares, when I was 15 or 16 my older brother and I was out shoting my Glenfeild 60, 22, he had some type of 22 Revolver, that he had just picked up from one of his freinds, after I loaded it I asked about the cylinder being so sloppy, he said thats the way they are, so I pointed it down range and shot my brother who was standing next to me, found out it was lead out the side that hit him in the head, ok I learned never to trust my brothers words.

Then when I was 19 still living at home, same brother was cleaning his 22 rifle at the dining room table, after which he decided it funny to point it around, aimming at my head, then my mothers foot, and then the family dog, then the Tv, where he was going to kill the bad guy in the scene, bang the tv goes black with a hole in it, mom laughed herself silly as did the brother, shortly after I moved in with my Grandparents and have not spoke with ether since, of course theres other reasons as well I just won't get into them, all true by the way.

Last month at spenceville, some guy was trying to fast draw, his first pull put lead 3 feet in front of him, as did the next 4 pulls, once he scene me watching him, while hiding behind the tree, he moved to the end of his group of freinds and began shooting without the quick draw, and he was impressing his freinds, for actully hitting the chest neck and head in a 1 foot pattern from 10 feet, it was time for my freinds and myself to go, those who can do, and those who can't don't know when to stop.

gunn
02-18-2009, 3:27 PM
wow these stories bring back some nightmares, when I was 15 or 16 my older brother and I was out shoting my Glenfeild 60, 22, he had some type of 22 Revolver, that he had just picked up from one of his freinds, aafter i loaded it I asked about the cylinder being so sloppy, he said thats the way they are, so I pointed it down range and shot my brother who was standing next to me, found out it was lead out the side that hit him in the head, ok I learned never to trust my brothers words, then when i was 19 still living at home, same brother was cleaning his 22 rifle at the dining room table, after which he decided it funny to point it around, aimming at my head, then my mothers foot, and then the family dog, then the Tv, where he was going to kill the bad guy in the scene, bang the tv goes black with a hole in it, mom laughed herself silly as did the brother, shortly after I moved in with my Grandparents and hav not spoke with ether since, of course theres other reasons as well I just won't get into them, all true by the way, also last month at spenceville, some guy was trying to fast draw his first pull put lead 3 feet in front of him, as did the next 4 pulls, once he scene me watching him, while hiding behind the tree, he moved to the end of his group of freinds and began shooting without the quick draw, and he was impressing his freinds, for actully hitting the chest neck and head in a 1 foot pattern from 10 feet, it wqas time for my freinds and myself to go, those who can do, and those who can't don't know when to stop.

I read this 3 times and still don't know what exactly you are talking about. I think you mentioned your brother shooting a hole in your TV but your use of only ONE period in the entire story (stories?) makes this hard to follow.

-g

bill104
02-18-2009, 6:29 PM
OK OK so I was a bad Student in school,