PDA

View Full Version : Inheriting guns?

hystad
02-07-2009, 6:53 PM
If a family member dies and leaves you their gun collection what do you have to do?

If one of these guns was a registered AW will you still be able to keep it? (By making the gun legal again.)

Librarian
02-07-2009, 6:58 PM
If a family member dies and leaves you their gun collection what do you have to do?

If one of these guns was a registered AW will you still be able to keep it? (By making the gun legal again.)

File the Oplaw (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form for everything but the 'aw'.

ETA: Oops, overstatement - OPLAW for the handguns only; other than an 'aw' you can just accept the long guns, no further action required.

Cannot inherit 'assault weapons' in state. Would have to UNregister it, and then if it were not 'named' it might be rebuilt as an OLL.

glock_this
03-24-2009, 2:48 PM
I used this form when my grandfather left me a gun when he died. About a month later I got a confirmation letter that the gun was now in my name. Best part was, it was all free since it was family to family.

JDay
03-24-2009, 3:31 PM
I used this form when my grandfather left me a gun when he died. About a month later I got a confirmation letter that the gun was now in my name. Best part was, it was all free since it was family to family.

The form says right on it that its $19 to file. Long guns however do not require an operation of law to be filed.

hawk81
03-24-2009, 5:12 PM
Don't worry about it, just take the guns.

FS00008
03-24-2009, 5:51 PM
Don't worry about it, just take the guns.

I wouldn't do that....

cousinkix1953
03-24-2009, 6:16 PM
You can always sell the assault rifle to somebody in a neighboring state (NV, AZ, OR) without a FFL. This not a bad time to do it. Prices are inflated because are worried about Obama turning some 46 other states into a nation-wide anti-gun police state just like Kommiefornia...

Librarian
03-24-2009, 6:30 PM
You can always sell the assault rifle to somebody in a neighboring state (NV, AZ, OR) without a FFL. This not a bad time to do it. Prices are inflated because are worried about Obama turning some 46 other states into a nation-wide anti-gun police state just like Kommiefornia...

You can't do that legally. Feds require almost all interstate transfers to use an FFL.

And of course, you wouldn't suggest one commits a Federal felony, here in a venue we know is read by law enforcement - would you? I know I wouldn't do that.

See http://wiki.calgunsfoundation.org/index.php/Transferring_firearms_Interstate