PDA

View Full Version : Rifle, family, airplane, state lines

VW*Mike
02-07-2009, 5:58 PM
Well, my grandfather passed away last year after battling cancer may he RIP. One of his prized possessions was a Winchester lever action model 1894 that was his fathers, that he hand carved the stock in a Montana cabin before 1900 (as family legend has it) I have seen and handled it once a few years ago. He wanted me to have it before he passed. It is in Washington State right now. I would like to bring it back, but I'm unsure how. Needless to say I'm hesitant to take it through the airport and have it leave my sight in a case as checked baggage as it is not replaceable. Also, I know its old, so I don't think I have to transfer it (how does that work when a person has died anyway?). Will I have to do anything crossing state lines? Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim40
02-07-2009, 6:02 PM
Make the drive; it's a fairly scenic route down from Washington, even on parts of I-5. No registration of long arms in CA, so I don't think you need to do anything to legally bring it here.

cannon
02-07-2009, 6:02 PM
If you want to ensure it's safe travel you may have to drive up for it.

HowardW56
02-07-2009, 6:11 PM
Well, my grandfather passed away last year after battling cancer may he RIP. One of his prized possessions was a Winchester lever action model 1894 that was his fathers, that he hand carved the stock in a Montana cabin before 1900 (as family legend has it) I have seen and handled it once a few years ago. He wanted me to have it before he passed. It is in Washington State right now. I would like to bring it back, but I'm unsure how. Needless to say I'm hesitant to take it through the airport and have it leave my sight in a case as checked baggage as it is not replaceable. Also, I know its old, so I don't think I have to transfer it (how does that work when a person has died anyway?). Will I have to do anything crossing state lines? Thanks in advance for your help.

If you want to play it absolutely safe, drive...

I have flown with guns many times and I have never had a problem, but there are no guarantees. If you do fly, make sure it is non-stop, you wouldn't want to fly Portland to SFO, then on to John Wayne, it just adds another opportunity for something to happen...

Boatz
02-07-2009, 6:17 PM
can you have it shipped and insured?

TheBundo
02-07-2009, 6:40 PM
Just fly yourself in a small plane. That's what I do when I travel

Mssr. Eleganté
02-07-2009, 6:48 PM
Also, I know its old, so I don't think I have to transfer it (how does that work when a person has died anyway?). Will I have to do anything crossing state lines?

If it was made before January 1, 1899 then it is not even considered a firearm by the Feds or California.

But you are covered even if it was manufactured after that. Bequests from an estate are exempt from the Federal restrictions on interstate firearms transfers. Also, operations of law and transfers from grandparents are exempt from California's FFL transfer requirements.

SwissFluCase
02-07-2009, 6:59 PM
Just fly yourself in a small plane. That's what I do when I travel

+1000. This may be the only secure way to travel in the short future. It is the only way I would trasport something priceless or valuable. If you don't fly, maybe a friend will go with you?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

SchooBaka
02-07-2009, 8:18 PM
I'm still hoping I'll be able to afford a PPL someday. My dad was a private pilot, so I grew up flying out of RHV and SJC in Mooney's and Bonanza V series with him whenever I could.
I've got family in Washington state and look forward to making the flight in a small plane someday.

DDT
02-07-2009, 10:19 PM
I'm still hoping I'll be able to afford a PPL someday. My dad was a private pilot, so I grew up flying out of RHV and SJC in Mooney's and Bonanza V series with him whenever I could.
I've got family in Washington state and look forward to making the flight in a small plane someday.

Two nice Dr. Killers there.

fairfaxjim
02-07-2009, 10:39 PM
ROAD TRIP! :D

TheBundo
02-08-2009, 4:23 AM
+1000. This may be the only secure way to travel in the short future. It is the only way I would trasport something priceless or valuable. If you don't fly, maybe a friend will go with you?

Regards,

SwissFluCase

I've now been a pilot for 32 years, but wasn't flying in the early years of my marriage (25 years ago). When I could afford it again, my wife then wanted to get her license, and did. When getting her license, we found an instructor who only charged for the gas plus $10 per hour (early 90's). He owned his own plane (an old Piper Cherokee 140). Nothing for wear and tear, just gas & $10 per hour. Why? Because he was building time to get his Air Transport Pilot Rating, so he could fly the big boys (he eventually got it). When she got done, I then used him to get my IFR ticket. There are others still around like that. It's a very cheap way to get around if you can find one and can't afford to get a license.

VW*Mike
02-08-2009, 1:49 PM
Thanks for the replies. LOL on the "Dr. Killer" My dad held his license for years. He restored a Mooney 21C that bellied in (bought bellied in) a '41 Taylor craft that blew over in a wind storm, and a V-Tail when I was a kid. He no longer flies though so that option won't work.

Driving is a possibility, but, from OC up there is a 3K mile trip. I will be flying up there likely the end of next month. I would be flying a direct flight out of SeaTac so I don't think checking a gun in WA state would be an issue. I would just worry about it being opened by TSA and baggage handlers with sticky fingers. I'm thinking of packaging it up and shipping it via FedEx. Would it need to go from and FFL to an FFL here? Or can I have it shipped from a Mail boxes etc, to my house?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-08-2009, 1:59 PM
I'm thinking of packaging it up and shipping it via FedEx. Would it need to go from and FFL to an FFL here? Or can I have it shipped from a Mail boxes etc, to my house?

FedEx rules don't allow you to ship a firearm to yourself. You would have to use UPS or USPS. If using UPS, you can't ship from a Mail Boxes Etc or UPS Store franchise. You must take it to an actual UPS run customer counter.

If shipping, you should buy a hard case for the rifle and then pack the hard case inside the cardboard box it comes in. If taking it on the plane you can just use the hard case. You can lock up the case after showing the contents to the TSA guys, so they would have to steal the whole locked case. Gun thefts by TSA or common carrier employees is pretty much limited to handguns, so I wouldn't worry too much about taking it on the plane with you.

SchooBaka
02-08-2009, 7:36 PM
I can remember when Steve Wozniak crashed his A36 into the embankment supporting the newly built roller rink. It was the beginning of the end for Sky Park in Scotts valley.
I never read this wiki article on it though. I never realized how much it affected him.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak
Not long after, my sister and her friend were flying with the friends dad in his V35 when the landing gear would not extend and they had to belly in at the same airport.

hoffmang
02-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Legally, even if its not in the will, it is C&R in both states and thus transferable. I think you're over worrying checking it as baggage. I brought a 192X .22 that had been in the family forever through SFO. Checking guns is no different than checking golf clubs - they just treat them more carefully to make sure you get them back.

-Gene