PDA

View Full Version : Del Mar Gun show was NUTS!

damon1272
02-07-2009, 3:27 PM
My God , Obama is the man. His stimulas package is at work! I have never seen so many people at the gun show as I have today. This is one sector of the economy that is not hurting. I don't think Miwall will have much ammo to sell tomorrow by the look of things. There were quite a few vendors. CWS was doing a ton of transfers by the look of things. Unbelivable the amount of people there.

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 3:32 PM
My God , Obama is the man. His stimulas package is at work! I have never seen so many people at the gun show as I have today. This is one sector of the economy that is not hurting. I don't think Miwall will have much ammo to sell tomorrow by the look of things. There were quite a few vendors. CWS was doing a ton of transfers by the look of things. Unbelivable the amount of people there.

I was there when the doors opened, the line to get in was out past the fence, curled to the left and went back about 3 parking lanes. I bought a case of Makarov ammo and it took me 15min to get to the front of the line to make the purchase as the line was all the way around and about 5 deep.

Kind of want to work there when they come to town to get employee discounts...

xibunkrlilkidsx
02-07-2009, 3:34 PM
Ya, im going tomorrow to see if they have a stock for my 10/22 i want. the last guns how in December i waited about 45 minutes at the Minwall booth to try and get a box of ammo. they need tot ake numbers becasue i was sitting there yelling at them to try and get their attention because they would just grab the nearest person instead of people who have been waiting.

Capt Jack
02-07-2009, 3:35 PM
I almost wonder if Obama's Presidency was secretly supported by the gun manufacturers? :p

Best salesman the industry has ever had! And to think metal prices have tanked but no reason to lower their prices with the crazy demand!

Richy
02-07-2009, 3:40 PM
anything good there?

FMJBT
02-07-2009, 3:41 PM
What a craptacular crap-fest that was. Spent two hours in there trying to push my kid around against traffic in a stroller before I had to call it quits. On a positive note, the local gun stores today were actually quite pleasant :thumbsup:

markw
02-07-2009, 4:12 PM
Yeah, we got there at about 7:55, bought tickets when the booth opened and walked over to start the line. Made a beeline for the reloading stuff and got what we needed. Talked to grammatron76 at CWS, he was keeping busy, then looked around a bit and left. We left at 10am, the line went out, turned left down the wall and then cut across 3 rows of parking, had to drive through the line to leave. The place had to be a madhouse. I did inquire at miwall about the 223 reloads they sell and they were gone before 10am.
There was one booth specializing in the 10/22's they had barrels and stocks, know your prices before you go. I'll probably do an "unfinished" boyds from stockys myself.

TKM
02-07-2009, 4:18 PM
No powder, some primers. 60 miles in the rain. Arrggghhh!!!

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 4:48 PM
NO POWDER:eek: I was going to lolly gag :sleeping:on in tomorrow afternoon and pick up a pound of Varget. Glad I bought a pound last month

are they out of 7.62x39 ?

Last I saw at Miwall and other scattered ammo dealers there was a ton of it.

LazyAndy
02-07-2009, 4:50 PM
The show was way too packed. I had to wait for almost half an hour at the miwall booth before I was able to flag an employee haha.

Tarn_Helm
02-07-2009, 4:57 PM

Right about now, Obama is probably thinking, "ME AND MY BIG MOUTH! Jesus H Christ, every d***ed redneck on the planet is gonna have 10 new guns before I can ever get around to banning the d***ed things!"
http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p13/AimSmllMssSmll/ObamaBIGMOUTH.jpg

You gotta love the irony.

Obama's platform and voting past announced that he wanted to go after the guns (http://www.nraila.org/media/PDFs/2008Obamafactsht.pdf), and gun sales save the economy!
:rofl:

sb_pete
02-07-2009, 5:43 PM
What was the going rate for 7.62x39mm?

bplvr
02-07-2009, 6:38 PM
For those of you reading this thread I need volunteers to work the
1st CalGuns booth at the March 21/22 show . Please reply to ' bplvr '
I spoke with them today and they will try to put us by Cold War Shooters
Thanks in advance.

wsh3
02-07-2009, 6:51 PM
Yeah it was packed - some of the prices weren't that great either BUT some guy has a Ma Deuce for 3k.... mmmmmmmmm.

Corbin Dallas
02-07-2009, 7:09 PM
Packed is an understatement.

We got there a bit late 09:45 and the line was snaked through the parking lot. Lucky it wasn't raining. While in line saw Mike from NRA and chatted with him for a bit, then I bailed the line to get in line with the sheriff officers to check my weapon. Perfect timing too, just as the officer zipped my weapon, my girl walked up and had the tickets.

Got inside and it was nothing but elbows & *******s. Nut-to-butt as they say and nothing good to buy.

I was tempted at CWS to pickup the last PTR91 for $1300 but I've had my heart set on a HK USC so I'll just wait.

Stopped by some asian dudes table where I spotted a Stag Upper ONLY A3 5.56 1/9 with BCG and bolt. Unfortunately, OBAMA was there first and told the guy to mark the price at $800 :eek: WTF????? Thanks, PASS!!!

Strolled (as much as possible with all the people there) through most of the lanes, trolled for some mall-*** but had to be discrete... :thumbsup: lastly to hit the reloading counter at about 1200 only to find a small handfull of powders (Unique, RedDot, GreenDot, 2600, etc....) 2 boxes of 180g 40S&W and wolf primers galore. Winchester primers were available, but at $122/sleeve, I'll pass for now.

Saw the cluster'F at MiWall and laughed my way out of the building.

May be heading to Phoenix next weekend to visit family... I'll send a report.

Capt. Speirs
02-07-2009, 7:12 PM

Sort of brings back the memmories of the pre ban gun shows.

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 7:53 PM
For those of you reading this thread I need volunteers to work the
1st CalGuns booth at the March 21/22 show . Please reply to ' bplvr '
I spoke with them today and they will try to put us by Cold War Shooters
Thanks in advance.

Grammaton76 suggested that we ask for a donation at the CG SD OC Meet to fund the table, any suggestions on that bplvr?

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 7:57 PM
What was the going rate for 7.62x39mm?

259.99/1000. Up 70 bucks from the last few shows.

ENTHUSIAST
02-07-2009, 8:16 PM
This show sucked @$$ SERIOUSLY a BIG hairy one!!!

Ammo report from Miwall:

.223 PMC (Korean no longer made in America) $399. for 1k rounds and they ONLY had 6K @ 1pm I watched them get gobbled up before my eyes as I was just shaking my head!!! :nono:

Or Wolf pallets of Wolf!?! :barf:

7.62x39 Wolf thats right Wolf and ONLY Wolf $Price= Who cares

Gram was always doing a great job w/ the OLL noobs @ the CWS booth as always. It is like CalGuns come to life right there in O'Brien Hall and the FUD is instantly repelled to the far corners of the show at the shaddy booths in the back! :D

Highlights:

Complete Daniel Defense Rifles @ CWS for around $1,800

Complete Noveske for.... well it is a Noveske folks! :p

ONLY things that caught my eye were:

@ CWS
LMT : Defender Lower with Collapsing Stock and Standard Trigger w/ BB $599

@ Canyon Country Tactical

C-Prod 30 rd Body & Floor Plate (NO Spring or Follower) REBUILD KITS $16.

Tapco AK Flats $13.

AK Builder Rivets $9.

I have never seen it so packed @ the Del Mar show it was seriously more like a wading through a Beer Garden @ a Metallica Concert than a GunShow!

ENTHUSIAST
02-07-2009, 8:23 PM
259.99/1000. Up 70 bucks from the last few shows where they actually had a few decent brands instead of just Wolf.

There fixed it for ya! :thumbsup:

DJ Skillz
02-07-2009, 8:25 PM
I went there for an hour or so before I had to go to work. It was absolutely insane. I've NEVER seen it that busy.

I ended up buying a $3 extended mag release, an $8 brat, and I was on my way. It was just way too crowded.

james s
02-07-2009, 9:08 PM
Did anyone happen to notice the availability and price of 308 ball? Thanks...heading there in the morning.
\
James

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 10:25 PM
I went there for an hour or so before I had to go to work. It was absolutely insane. I've NEVER seen it that busy.

I ended up buying a $3 extended mag release, an $8 brat, and I was on my way. It was just way too crowded.

Wait, they had hookers there? ;)

pullnshoot25
02-07-2009, 10:28 PM

Or Wolf pallets of Wolf!?! :barf:

WTF dude, Wolf is great! Stolichnaya, Siminov and Mak (our Slavic guns) eat that stuff like there is no tomorrow! They are always HUNGRY FOR THE WOOOOOLF! (Duran Duran... you know, that 80s song?) :)

Richy
02-07-2009, 11:12 PM
hahaha. duran duran

grammaton76
02-07-2009, 11:29 PM
WTF dude, Wolf is great! Stolichnaya, Siminov and Mak (our Slavic guns) eat that stuff like there is no tomorrow! They are always HUNGRY FOR THE WOOOOOLF! (Duran Duran... you know, that 80s song?) :)

Sure, it's sorta ok in 7.62x39mm.

However, after rssslvr showed me pics of his Wolf 308-caused FAL kB, I am disinclined to trust Wolf in any other caliber.

Heck, I keep Wolf as my emergency caliber... no matter what, I will not touch Wolf unless it's an emergency. :)

grammaton76
02-07-2009, 11:42 PM
Gram was always doing a great job w/ the OLL noobs @ the CWS booth as always. It is like CalGuns come to life right there in O'Brien Hall and the FUD is instantly repelled to the far corners of the show at the shaddy booths in the back! :D

*grin* Thanks, but it'll be Calguns come to life when I have the magic ability to walk in and edit out folks' conversations at a whim. I kinda wanted that a time or two today...

Hmm, maybe I should pop in at the Calguns booth and attempt that next month! :)

Xerxes
02-07-2009, 11:47 PM
I almost wonder if Obama's Presidency was secretly supported by the gun manufacturers? :p

Best salesman the industry has ever had! And to think metal prices have tanked but no reason to lower their prices with the crazy demand!

Yes they were in cahoots....

Did you not read that Internet article?

The pro gun and anti gunnner got together knowing they would get a ban but for a while they would get a very profitable gun run.

In my lifetime I saw it in 1989, 1994, nd 1999.

Before that there was 1934 an 1968.

We know that folks like ol' Ruger himself supported gun bans and bans on black rifles and paid the politicians like Kennedy handsomely to get his firearms exempted from the list (so why was a Ruger Mini not an assualt rifle?).

I am not even certain the gun manufactures support the 2nd ammendment as many of them support gun bans so long as it does not ban their product. We even have idiots like Ruger donating to causes to ban assault weapons.

Though I own two rugers, I have not bought one since his support and financing of the 1994 ban.

rayra
02-08-2009, 12:08 AM
Damned nonsense. Mini-14s were stricken from the 1989 CA AWB legislation because the CHP had just bought 500 of them for their rural patrol officers.

Bill Ruger's been dead for years and folks like you just can't stop ****ting on him.

ENTHUSIAST
02-08-2009, 2:03 AM
Though I own two rugers, I have not bought one since his support and financing of the 1994 ban.

I own zero rugers. :cool2:

mike100
02-08-2009, 6:52 AM
Didn't go, but If I did, I would have picked up some primers probably. I have heard that wolf primers work fine in pistol calibers and I would have probably been willing to pay $124 for winchester ones...but if they are all sold out, then the remington or wolf ones are fine.

Good thing I reload with Unique, everybody always has that, but the powder guy has been a bit wiped out the last couple of times I did go.

Are there any good bullet (projectiles only) deals there? I usually don't look for lead because of how far away I park.

niko454
02-08-2009, 9:25 AM
went there with a rather large wad of cash from income tax returns to spend, got frustrated at the high prices and went to socal gun where i proceeded to start the process for 2 sequentially numbered Kaiser lowers. I saw a few at the gun show but there were higher in price than at SCG and i've never had a problem dealing with the guys at SCG (although they did try and sell me that 'colt upper' everyone's been talking about on here). Glad i passed, i'm waiting on some more sabre defence uppers to come available again.

pullnshoot25
02-08-2009, 9:47 AM
I bought my two Ruger pistols used and my 10/22 new... yeah.

bplvr
02-08-2009, 10:12 AM
*grin* Thanks, but it'll be Calguns come to life when I have the magic ability to walk in and edit out folks' conversations at a whim. I kinda wanted that a time or two today...

Hmm, maybe I should pop in at the Calguns booth and attempt that next month! :)

Feel free to stop in at the CGN booth on March 21 /22 .In an effort to reduce FUD ,we will have copies of Flyliner's book which dis-believers can make a $15.00 donation to take home and read to their children on Saturday nite in front of the firelace. Sort of a 'family home CGN evening'. On Sunday they can return to buy a Sport Utility Rifle from CWS.

Gator Monroe
02-08-2009, 10:15 AM
I love my 1954 Ruger Mk 1 standard and my 1994 International Carbine ! but were there any Hakims or Rashids or Blond Mas 49's and boxes and plastic crates of Milsurp troves to dig through and haggle over ?

Can'thavenuthingood
02-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Feel free to stop in at the CGN booth on March 21 /22 .In an effort to reduce FUD ,we will have copies of Flyliner's book which dis-believers can make a $15.00 donation to take home and read to their children on Saturday nite in front of the firelace. Sort of a 'family home CGN evening'. On Sunday they can return to buy a Sport Utility Rifle from CWS.

Great idea.
Need to get a Norman Rockwell type picture of a grandpa Calgunner in hunting or shooting gear with revolver holstered and hanging off the chair. The lever action 30-30 leaned up against the wall/fireplace corner and the kids listening intently as they chew on homemade Elk jerky.

Grandpa has the Ref book open and the flow chart laid out in front of him.

Grandma in the background casting bullets or reloading.

Yup, we have any artist's on board?

Vick

Gator Monroe
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
And make Grandma & Granma an African American and an American Indian !:thumbsup:

spectamatt
02-08-2009, 10:51 AM
looks like I'm glad I passed on the gun show this morning.

xibunkrlilkidsx
02-08-2009, 10:54 AM
IT wasnt extremely packed when i left there at about 11. got what i wanted, christie and christie stock, looked around, avoiding all the damn jewlery people. But minwall got raped in ammo.

Steve O
02-08-2009, 1:28 PM
.223 Wolf FMJ MC box 1,000

price anyone??

hamster
02-08-2009, 3:14 PM
I forget how much it was for 1000, but I bought 500 for $145

It's to be used as my SHTF ammo.

tankerman
02-08-2009, 3:33 PM
I forget how much it was for 1000, but I bought 500 for $145

It's to be used as my SHTF ammo.Hope your SHTF is a small one. 500 rounds won't last long.

sb_pete
02-08-2009, 7:36 PM
259.99/1000. Up 70 bucks from the last few shows where they actually had a few decent brands instead of just Wolf.There fixed it for ya! :thumbsup:...

Or Wolf pallets of Wolf!?! :barf: 7.62x39 Wolf thats right Wolf and ONLY Wolf $Price= Who cares...

Lol, it's 7.62x39mm dude, what else is there? Golden Tiger? Silver Bear? 1980s copper-washed, steel-cased, berdan-corrosive-primed surplus? I mean, it's all the same sh*t, it's not like we're talking .308 for a bolt gun here. What kind of 7.62x39mm do you think is worth buying?

grammaton76
02-08-2009, 10:28 PM
Lol, it's 7.62x39mm dude, what else is there? Golden Tiger? Silver Bear? 1980s copper-washed, steel-cased, berdan-corrosive-primed surplus? I mean, it's all the same sh*t, it's not like we're talking .308 for a bolt gun here. What kind of 7.62x39mm do you think is worth buying?

Cheetah... cases upon cases of Cheetah.

*sigh* I miss ammo from Zimbabwe.

grammaton76
02-08-2009, 10:31 PM
Feel free to stop in at the CGN booth on March 21 /22 .In an effort to reduce FUD ,we will have copies of Flyliner's book which dis-believers can make a $15.00 donation to take home and read to their children on Saturday nite in front of the firelace. Sort of a 'family home CGN evening'. On Sunday they can return to wonder where the Sport Utility Rifles went at the CWS table.

Fixed it for ya. :)

I don't think I've ever seen that much empty table space at the CWS booth, as there was by Sunday afternoon.

bplvr
02-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Fixed it for ya. :)

I don't think I've ever seen that much empty table space at the CWS booth, as there was by Sunday afternoon.

Well how 'bout that ! They cleaned 'ya out and we ain't even there yet....:thumbsup:
Maybe ya might want to bring in twice as much inventory for March.
If you run across a Bulgarian SA '95 upper and a USA Arsenal receiver
all 922r and Ca. compliant please give me a yell. That is the one I do not have yet. I am not greedy,I just want ONE .

sb_pete
02-08-2009, 11:24 PM
Cheetah... cases upon cases of Cheetah.

*sigh* I miss ammo from Zimbabwe.

Really, I've never experienced this. What was this "Cheetah" ammo? What was better? More accurate? less dirty? Any other 7.62x39 to look out for that is better than the Russian stuff (and is not corrosive surplus or Lapua $$$)?

grammaton76
02-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Really, I've never experienced this. What was this "Cheetah" ammo? What was better? More accurate? less dirty? Any other 7.62x39 to look out for that is better than the Russian stuff (and is not corrosive surplus or Lapua $$$)?

Cheetah was inexpensive, clean, and just plain nice. The sksboards.com consensus was that it was the closest thing to match grade 7.62x39mm you'd find short of boutique loads. Then apparently they didn't pay their workers in Zimbabwe for a month and they tore apart the factory and sold all the machines as scrap.

I personally reload now... got spoiled by Cheetah and can't bring myself to shoot Wolf.

ENTHUSIAST
02-09-2009, 4:11 AM

7.62X39 Golden Tiger is my FAV all-time "CHEAP" ammo but I NEVER run Wolf through my guns ESPECIALLY for the price they were charging I would rather just shoot half as many rounds of something decent so I ended up getting 500 rds of Federal @ my secret spot instead... :chris:

WWB is also SUPER clean but too $$$ for me.

Dont let the full moon make you howl for the Wolf... there are other options! :thumbsup:

Gator Monroe
02-09-2009, 9:19 AM
Hope your SHTF is a small one. 500 rounds won't last long.

Ditto ! (I have 3500 rounds of 45 ACP) AND ONLY ONE 1911A1)

pullnshoot25
02-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Ditto ! (I have 3500 rounds of 45 ACP) AND ONLY ONE 1911A1)

Yeah, I need more .44mag/.44spl, I only have about 200rds, if that. The Mak and .22s are well fed and I have plenty of Mosin ammo.

Steve O
02-09-2009, 3:13 PM
7.62X39 Golden Tiger is my FAV all-time "CHEAP" ammo but I NEVER run Wolf through my guns ESPECIALLY for the price they were charging I would rather just shoot half as many rounds of something decent so I ended up getting 500 rds of Federal @ my secret spot instead... :chris:

WWB is also SUPER clean but too $$$ for me.

Dont let the full moon make you howl for the Wolf... there are other options! :thumbsup:

Ok, so why not save 100 per 1k rounds and buy wolf.
Then spend 5 minutes after each 1k rounds to clean?

Doesn't makes sense to me to pay more to avoid cleaning.

ENTHUSIAST
02-09-2009, 4:27 PM
Ok, so why not save 100 per 1k rounds and buy wolf.
Then spend 5 minutes after each 1k rounds to clean?

Doesn't makes sense to me to pay more to avoid cleaning.

Point taken, I have just never heard good things about Wolf and when I hear Ka-Boom talk well that scared me off too... :eek:

grammaton76
02-09-2009, 4:43 PM
Point taken, I have just never heard good things about Wolf and when I hear Ka-Boom talk well that scared me off too... :eek:

I avoid Wolf stringently in all calibers but 7.62x39mm.

I still don't rely on it in that caliber, but if I'm going to shoot it, that's the only caliber I will use it in. I also don't like having to stop and think about whether or not I have ammo I can use at Iron Sights... most ranges ban Wolf ammo for a few reasons, most of them good.

pullnshoot25
02-09-2009, 5:31 PM
I avoid Wolf stringently in all calibers but 7.62x39mm.

I still don't rely on it in that caliber, but if I'm going to shoot it, that's the only caliber I will use it in. I also don't like having to stop and think about whether or not I have ammo I can use at Iron Sights... most ranges ban Wolf ammo for a few reasons, most of them good.

I think all their Russian caliber stuff works great, being that Russian guns are built to not be so tight and whatnot. 9x18, 7.62x39, 5.45x39, etc. I haven't had many cleaning issues with them either, the SKS runs like a top with that ammo and has had minimal cleaning.

Steve O
02-09-2009, 5:43 PM
most ranges ban Wolf ammo for a few reasons, most of them good.

What ranges have banned Wolf?

I haven't heard any of this. Last time I read anything about wolf was the big wolf thread here in calguns and a majority of the members said that the wolf rumors were just that...

I know a guy who has ran 5k through his AR and hasn't had not one jam.

Gator Monroe
02-09-2009, 5:47 PM
What ranges have banned Wolf?

I haven't heard any of this. Last time I read anything about wolf was the big wolf thread here in calguns and a majority of the members said that the wolf rumors were just that...

I know a guy who has ran 5k through his AR and hasn't had not one jam.

I have 1500 ROUNDS OF WOLF BLACK BOX for my AR/M16A1 retro build I have not even finished building yet (And only around 500 Rounds of non-wolf)

sb_pete
02-09-2009, 11:40 PM
Cheetah was inexpensive, clean, and just plain nice. The sksboards.com consensus was that it was the closest thing to match grade 7.62x39mm you'd find short of boutique loads. Then apparently they didn't pay their workers in Zimbabwe for a month and they tore apart the factory and sold all the machines as scrap.

I personally reload now... got spoiled by Cheetah and can't bring myself to shoot Wolf.

hmmm, bummer. That's an interesting story, thanks. Too bad it's not around any more.

7.62X39 Golden Tiger is my FAV all-time "CHEAP" ammo

Really, I didn't notice any difference between it and Wolf when I shot a few boxes through my SKS :shrug: Where does Golden Tiger come from anyways. I thought Wolf, Silver/Golden/Purple/WHatever Bear, and Golden Tiger all came from the same factory in Russia?

It's worth noting that Wolf doesn't actually MAKE any ammo. They just import and package ammo. Their .22lr is repackaged German SK brand (a subsidiary of Lapua in Finland); their Wolf Gold line comes from Prvi Partisan in Serbia; The black box centerfire stuff (as well as the Military Classic) all comes from Russia AFAIK.