View Full Version : The zombie thread got me thinking...
02-07-2009, 3:20 PM
Obviously, some of you are prepared for when zombies attack, but for the rest of you, what do you prepare for? Collapse of government? Natural disasters? Taking up arms against government? Robbery? War?
More than that, I'm curious if S-does-HTF, how will you use your firearms, offensively or just defensively? Will you use it offensively to get transportation, medicines, food, water, and other supplies, or just use it defensively to keep others from taking it from you? In other words, will your survival instincts take the wheel away from morality?
I realize it's hard to predict what anyone would do out of desperation, but how far would you go in that instance?
02-07-2009, 3:24 PM
Hmmm thats an interesting question, I know i personally prepare for everything from a Robbery to TEOTWAWKI no matter the reason I will be prepared!!!
02-07-2009, 3:27 PM
As i am very ill prepared for our Gov't to collapse as i think it never will in my lifetime, i would have to say that my weapons would go towards offensive use and aquiring the necessities that i would need to survive.
02-07-2009, 3:28 PM
I personally am setup for defense. I do have several options planned out as far as being somewhat mobile, but most revolves around staying put with family.
I think the only reason for me to go offensivley would be if we ran out of supplies or for unknown reasons. I think staying low IMO will give me a better chance of survival.
02-07-2009, 5:41 PM
In all honesty, I mostly prepare for what most would consider a small skirmish. At most a dozen people total between two sides in a small gun conflict where my family is the defending side. Whether that be a forced home gang invassion, or simply a dispute between the wrong people turned sour. If I am prepared for that, then I am prepared for any of the smaller problems that come my way, such as a violent robbery, mugging, etc. I live on the outskirts of a town and it's not uncommon to have trucks and trucks of people (one time it was ~8 people) come onto our property to dump, off road, start bon fires, etc. Once the group mentality hits, they tend to become resistant to kindly asking them to leave and sometimes they even threaten to get violent (I've had baseball sized rocks thrown with full force at my brother and I at one such encounter). So it's not too far off to fear that if they were armed, and stupid enough, something like that could happen. I don't want it to, but that's why I prepare.
As for SHTF, I think there are three MAJORS SHTFs for California and their likelyhood of happening is in this order:
1. Major natural disaster, such as earthquake, that isolates us for a period of time and natural law takes over, similar to Katrina.
2. On soil US invassion, whether it be from any source, but most likely it would be a larger Mexican cartel trying to establish their own territory. Military action would not be swift enough to protect those in SoCal completely and we would need to be able and willing to form an impromptu militia if for nothing else than to form pockets of safety and resistance for our families and neighbors until the US could reclaim control.
3. Government collapse and American Revolution II.
4. The coming of the Beast, no Tribulation, and we've got a long wait ahead of us until the Return.
02-08-2009, 12:48 AM
For me, in order of likelihood:
1) armed burglary
2) massive riots (e.g. Rodney King, feasible if Mehserle is found not guilty)
3) the next BIG one (if order degrades into anarchy)
4) total social disorder (if the economy continues to decline and unemployment skyrockets)
5) WWIII (scarce resources, invasion, etc)
6) Zombie invasion
I guess most (if not all) of the above is in response to police and military presence being ineffectual in preventing disorder and chaos.
02-08-2009, 12:50 AM
good post OP....as for me....for me, more defensive than offensive.......and offensive only if the need arises...
vBulletin® v3.8.9, Copyright ©2000-2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.