PDA

View Full Version : want to clarify "transporting my firearms on the way to the range"

AlliedArmory
02-07-2009, 2:06 PM
i just want to clarify is this is a legal way to transport my firearms on the way to the range.

i drive a scion tc (hatchback)

my kimber is in a locked soft case so should be fine

my oll ar-15 is also in a soft case without a lock on the zippers. i put a luggage lock on the strings. this is the only way i can lock this case in any way.

all ammo is in my range bag

see pic

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3383/3260770089_12a79e6d47.jpg

U2BassAce
02-07-2009, 2:18 PM
No need to lock OLL. But not a bad idea.

If it was a Registered Assault Weapon then it needs to be locked.

Sounds like you are good.

hoffmang
02-07-2009, 2:44 PM
Completely safe. If you have a trunk area that can be seen into during a traffic stop, I'd throw a blanket or towel over your firearms case so the officer can't create reason to inspect your firearms for their loaded status.

-Gene

Steve G
02-07-2009, 3:26 PM
Why do the Registered Assault Weapons need to be locked and the OLL dont? I dont own any OLL but do have several Registered Weapons. Is there anywhere we can read the ALL the laws about Registered Assault Weapons in CA?

USN CHIEF
02-07-2009, 3:36 PM
Why do the Registered Assault Weapons need to be locked and the OLL dont? I dont own any OLL but do have several Registered Weapons. Is there anywhere we can read the ALL the laws about Registered Assault Weapons in CA?

Because they can be fire from the hip and you might hit a kid:eek: Think about the children please:eek:

LOL...

The reason because AW's need to be locked is because some ****ing idiot or ****ing idiots that don't know **** about common sense.

Steve G
02-07-2009, 3:45 PM
Because they can be fire from the hip and you might hit a kid:eek: Think about the children please:eek:

LOL...

The reason because AW's need to be locked is because some ****ing idiot or ****ing idiots that don't know **** about common sense.

:D thanks!

found it for anyone interested

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regagunfaqs.php

AlliedArmory
02-07-2009, 4:10 PM
thanks everyone. just what i needed to know

Paratus et Vigilans
02-07-2009, 4:20 PM

LOL...

Amen!

high_revs
02-07-2009, 5:51 PM
on a similar note... does a hatch back car ala G35, Prius, Golf GTI, etc. not qualify as a locked trunk? It that considered open trunk or trunk carry like some threads I saw on station wagon? But unlike a station wagon, there's a cover making the firearms inaccessible (though you can probably rip the cover in a shtf situation).

Secondly, I've been pretty paranoid in that I only go to and from home/shooting range. If you're lawful, following laws above, are you actually allowed to stop in the middle for food or even something as simple as gas? I cannot seem to find an answer to that. I'm thinking, such places would be private property though what makes me think (and err on safer side) is that there is no purpose for visiting that place firearms related.

Thoughts? Or mucho paranoia?

TheBundo
02-07-2009, 7:12 PM
on a similar note... does a hatch back car ala G35, Prius, Golf GTI, etc. not qualify as a locked trunk? It that considered open trunk or trunk carry like some threads I saw on station wagon? But unlike a station wagon, there's a cover making the firearms inaccessible (though you can probably rip the cover in a shtf situation).

Secondly, I've been pretty paranoid in that I only go to and from home/shooting range. If you're lawful, following laws above, are you actually allowed to stop in the middle for food or even something as simple as gas? I cannot seem to find an answer to that. I'm thinking, such places would be private property though what makes me think (and err on safer side) is that there is no purpose for visiting that place firearms related.

Thoughts? Or mucho paranoia?

If it's not an AW, you can take them with you anywhere, anytime, and stop anywhere (except on a campus, etc.)

SchooBaka
02-07-2009, 8:23 PM
Completely safe. If you have a trunk area that can be seen into during a traffic stop, I'd throw a blanket or towel over your firearms case so the officer can't create reason to inspect your firearms for their loaded status.

-Gene

Out of sight, Out of mind. :thumbsup: