PDA

View Full Version : going to az, taking my oll

Sam1
02-07-2009, 12:04 PM
I'm going to phoenix and I want to take my oll to shoot some old steel core ammo. Are there any ranges in the area that will allow me to shoot it?

JDay
02-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Drive out to the desert and pick a spot.

Tony.
02-07-2009, 1:44 PM
Drive to public land, make sure you are a 1/4 mile away from a road or free standing structure. Load gun, shoot.

Just do not shoot the Saguro cactus, they are protected.

bobfried
02-07-2009, 4:53 PM
Depends on what you consider Phoenix.

There are quite a few places north of Phoenix in the Table Mesa area. Also North East in the Superstition Mountain area. You basically drive out until it's the boonies, turn off onto a trail for a few miles than blast away. If you are near Mesa though try Usery Shooting range, that's my regular haunt when I am out there in that area.

http://www.riosaladosportsmans.com

MolonLabe2008
02-07-2009, 5:01 PM
There is a lot of wrong information being posted here.

You just can't drive to any part of the desert and shoot.

It has to be BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land.

You can't shoot on State land or private land.

Call or go to a BLM office in Arizona and buy a BLM map of the area you are interested in.

G-Man WC
02-07-2009, 6:21 PM
When I lived in Tucson 85-91, it took me about 1/2 hour to drive out of the city down Speedway blvd past the U of A. just pick a wash to shoot in on the other side of the freeway.. Your good to go. It ain't California and any resident with an AZ drivers license could open carry a holstered pistol just about anywhere but a bar. The USA like it should be without a nanny state watching over you. -g

Vin496
02-07-2009, 8:35 PM
There is a lot of wrong information being posted here.

You just can't drive to any part of the desert and shoot.

It has to be BLM (Bureau of Land Management) land.

You can't shoot on State land or private land.

Call or go to a BLM office in Arizona and buy a BLM map of the area you are interested in.

While this is true, you would be hard pressed to get in trouble for it. In most cases if(and that's if) someone ever showed up, they would probably just tell you to move along.

I grew up in West Texas and as long as you weren't in city limits you were good to go. If we were out in the boonies some where shooting every now and then a rancher would drive up and and talk to us, and tell us, to please just not shoot animals or shoot up signs, and then tell us to have a good time., if they didn't reach in the back of their truck and join us.

As long as you are polite and not making a mess, your chances of getting in trouble are almost non existent.

If you grew up here in California you would be shocked at how it is such a non issue in most Southwest and Southern States.

acaligunner
02-07-2009, 10:24 PM
Hello;

When I lived in Phoenix ( 19th & Indian school rd ), Alot of us would just drive west on the 10 and once we got out of town, would go shoot.

Never had any problems out there.

I also use to open carry everywhere, where it was allowed. I aslo use to go to shooters world, and shoot selective fired weapons, paint ball, etc.

Arizona is NOT like CA, I even enjoyed talking to LE, even when armed, it was no problem.

The best line an officer gave me when I told him I was from CA was, 'Oh you'r from Kalifornia?' , , , I'm Sorry.

I was actually relaxed when I lived there. The gun laws where great, people would actually talk to you, and you could actually feed comfortable talking to LE.

Well aside from that, Some things have changed, the city is growing, So doing a check would be in you'r best interest before you go shoot.

acaligunner