PDA

View Full Version : Gun Safe or Lock Box Affidavit

iegeorge
02-06-2009, 10:49 PM
I purchased a handgun recently (FFL transfer and currently in 10 day wait).

I have a Homak 3660 (lock box not a safe) which is on the "Roster of Approved Firearm Safety Devices" that I bought in the mid 80's.

If I can't produce a receipt for the Homak will I have to purchase a safe or approved lock box to take delivery?

Thanks in advance for the information.

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 10:53 PM
For a handgun, I believe you need to have a receipt dated less than 30 days old, and actually bring in the lock so that the dealer can supply it to you with the handgun. Otherwise, he'll need to sell you one.

That is a federal law, not a state law. It used to be that you could just fill out the Safe Affidavit with your safe's info and be ok. but now, there is a federal handgun lock requirement and the Affidavit does not work for it.

You don't have to buy a safe or lock box. You can go to walmart and buy a $5 gun lock and bring it to the FFL along with the receipt. The FFL will photocopy the receipt and then release your handgun. then return the lock to walmart if you don't need it.

Meplat
02-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Why is it not a safe? When they ask if you have a safe just say yes and when you fill out the affidavit call it a Homak 3660.:thumbsup:

I purchased a handgun recently (FFL transfer and currently in 10 day wait).

I have a Homak 3660 (lock box not a safe) which is on the "Roster of Approved Firearm Safety Devices" that I bought in the mid 80's.

If I can't produce a receipt for the Homak will I have to purchase a safe or approved lock box to take delivery?

Thanks in advance for the information.

iegeorge
02-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have a lock with the handgun (purchased from the FFL) but am concerned with how to complete the affidavit... http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/gsaff.pdf

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 10:59 PM
Why is it not a safe? When they ask if you have a safe just say yes and when you fill out the affidavit call it a Homak 3660.:thumbsup:
because the affidavit does not work for handgun purchases anymore per the feds.

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the reply.

I have a lock with the handgun (purchased from the FFL) but am concerned with how to complete the affidavit... http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/gsaff.pdf

If you purchased a lock from the FFL, you don't need to complete the affidavit. The FFL'll just note that you purchased a lock and photocopy the reciept for his records.

Meplat
02-06-2009, 11:23 PM
I did one last week?????

because the affidavit does not work for handgun purchases anymore per the feds.

sorensen440
02-06-2009, 11:25 PM
I did one last week?????
On a handgun ?

iegeorge
02-06-2009, 11:26 PM
Meplat, did you have a lock and do the affidavit?

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
I did one last week?????

then you got lucky and your FFL is not complying with the Federal Child Safety Lock law.

http://www.gunreports.com/special_reports/handguns/Batfe-Gun-Control-Act-National-Firearms-Act-EZ-Check-Machineguns875-1.html

C&R handguns are exempt.

Meplat
02-06-2009, 11:34 PM
Yes. a Polish TT-33. And my dealer is as parinoid and 'by the book' as they come?

On a handgun ?

ke6guj
02-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Yes. a polish TT-33.

OK, looks like thats why he was able to do it. C&R handguns appear to be exempt from the CSLA.

Meplat
02-06-2009, 11:40 PM
No, just did the gun safe affidavit. A Polish TT-33 IS a C&R though, if that makes any differance?

Meplat, did you have a lock and do the affidavit?

Meplat
02-06-2009, 11:49 PM
So, a C&R that functions exactly like dozens of non-C&R designs is not dangerous to children and or idiots but more modern designs with twice the safety features are? Gowd I'm fed up with this ****. Will it never stop?:43:

OK, looks like thats why he was able to do it. C&R handguns appear to be exempt from the CSLA.

iegeorge
02-06-2009, 11:55 PM
So if I have an approved lock on the handgun I don't need to complete the affidavit?

ke6guj
02-07-2009, 12:03 AM
So if I have an approved lock on the handgun I don't need to complete the affidavit?

Correct. If you have an approved lock that you purchase within 30 days of buying the handgun, and the FFL makes a copy of the receipt, you are all set.

The Affidavit was for those who had a safe/lock box and did not want to buy another lock that we didn't need, since it was gonna be locked in a big ol safe. The affidavit was an alternate to buying a new lock. If you don't have a safe/lockbox, you can just buy a lock with the handgun and be set.

iegeorge
02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Thanks a bunch. This was really confusing...

ke6guj
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
think about it. Forget you own the lock box. How would a person buying their first handgun comply with the law? Just buy a gun lock with the firearm. No need to fill out an affidavit. For what, If I'm a first time buyer, I don't have any lock box or safe.

Whats confusing is tht we have both state and federal laws that both require gun locks to be suppled with handgun purchases. CA allows for the affidavit to exempt you from needing to buy a new lock, but the feds do not accept the affidavit. A lock must actually be present at the time of transfer.

DDT
02-07-2009, 1:06 AM
What is confusing is that the affidavit relieves you of the duty to purchase a lock specifically for a particular long arm but not for a specific handgun.

that is, you can use the affidavit to verify safe storage of a long arm but every handgun must have a lock purchased within 30 days with a receipt.

I even had to fill out an affidavit for my stripped AR-15 lower.

iegeorge
02-07-2009, 8:24 AM
Ok, so I purchase a lock with the handgun and therefore no affidavit is required.

Would the same be true for a long gun? The difference being that I'm not required to buy a lock at time of purchase but by doing so I'm not required to complete the affidavit?

ke6guj
02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Ok, so I purchase a lock with the handgun and therefore no affidavit is required. correct.

Would the same be true for a long gun? The difference being that I'm not required to buy a lock at time of purchase but by doing so I'm not required to complete the affidavit?yes. You either need to buy a lock within 30 days of the delivery of the longgun and supply the FFL the receipt so it can be copied for his records, OR you complete the affidavit for a safe (you can't do a lock box affidavit for a handgun lock box, it must be big enough to hold the long gun).

Many new firearms come from the factory with a lock included in the package. In that case, the FFL can just note that the firearm was delivered with the factory lock and that covers it. No need to buy an addtional lock or fill out an affidavit.

Librarian
02-07-2009, 1:48 PM
Ok, so I purchase a lock with the handgun and therefore no affidavit is required.

Would the same be true for a long gun? The difference being that I'm not required to buy a lock at time of purchase but by doing so I'm not required to complete the affidavit?

This is too tangled.

Step by step:

California requires that every firearms purchase be accompanied by a safety device (usually a lock). There are other conditions, see link below.

California also allows one to buy a safe or a lock box. For a subsequent firearm purchase, if the safe or lock box is big enough to hold multiple guns, you can say 'I have a safe' and fill out the safe affidavit. But you do that ONLY if you have a multiple-gun safe or lock box.

These days, if you purchase a handgun, the simplest answer is "you must buy a lock". Before the Feds changed the Federal law, you could use the safe affidavit for handguns, but BATF does not have an equivalent doc, and BATF says California's doc is not satisfactory. (Safes actually work, but BATF has not done its job.)

The Federal law does not affect long guns. If you have a safe or lock box that can hold multiple long guns, the safe affidavit still works for that.

See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?p=1495010#post1495010

Librarian
02-07-2009, 1:58 PM
correct.

yes. You either need to buy a lock within 30 days of the delivery of the longgun and supply the FFL the receipt so it can be copied for his records, OR you complete the affidavit for a safe (you can't do a lock box affidavit for a handgun lock box, it must be big enough to hold the long gun).

A supplement:

The purchase must happen within the 30 days prior to delivery of the gun - or on the day of delivery - and if you do bring your own in, you must also bring in the receipt.

But you can't take the gun home before you have the lock (or the safe, as applicable).

ke6guj
02-07-2009, 2:02 PM
A supplement:

The purchase must happen within the 30 days prior to delivery of the gun - or on the day of delivery - and if you do bring your own in, you must also bring in the receipt.

But you can't take the gun home before you have the lock (or the safe, as applicable).

Well, Duh, thats what I meant:D

Thanks for clarifying my words for me.

DDT
02-07-2009, 2:13 PM
Well, Duh, thats what I meant:D

Thanks for clarifying my words for me.

I'm sure he knew that you knew but wanted to make sure that anyone later would know, you know?

ke6guj
02-07-2009, 2:23 PM
yah, I know. at first I was looking at his post and trying to figure out what he was trying to clarify. And then I realized that I never actually said that the lock needed to be bought within the 30 days preceding the handgun delivery. Wouldn't be very smart to allow for you you supply the receipt up to 30-days AFTER delivery of the handgun. How many people do you think would actually follow up and bring the the receipt?