View Full Version : Newbie pistol owner

02-06-2009, 9:47 PM
Hello. Ive been visiting this site for a few months. I have been contemplating my first pistol purchase for a few months also. In order I was looking at HK USP, Glock 23, and S&W M&P. Went to the range today and rented all these weapons (based on previous posts I've read) and I ended up liking my last choice the M&P the most. I also tried spingfield XD but I think I will purchase the M&P in 40 caliber. Any input will be appreciated?

02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Welcome to CGN!

Have you had an opportunity to shoot a 1911, Sig or CZ so far? Depending on your intended use and what points best for you, they may be something to think about.

02-06-2009, 10:51 PM
Thank you. I have fired 1911's colts and sigs (although about ten years ago) The M&p felt very comfortable to me. This will be a HD weapon/range toy. My wife liked it also. I dont Know why but I like a DAO trigger rather than a DA/SA. Please dont say to get a shotty for HD as it wont work for my home layout.

02-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Sounds like you got all the bases covered. You can't lose with any of the choices listed. Thats why there are so many good choices out there... you can actually choose the one that best fits your wants and needs. Too bad everything isn't like that.

BTW: Welcome to the group.

02-07-2009, 9:29 AM
Welcome aboard. If you liked the M&P, I'd go for it. There's still time to expand your collection later while you build up the basic fundamentals of shooting handguns.