PDA

View Full Version : Shooting in the rain - what to look out for?

series8217
02-06-2009, 9:15 PM
Rain or shine, I'm spending all day Sunday at the range...
Anything in particular I should watch out for if its still raining while I'm out there? I've never shot in the rain before.

The only optics I am using is a Mueller APV scope on my 10/22. My AR-15 and 870 have iron sights.

What's the typical procedure for cleaning a firearm that got soaked? Complete disassembly?

fusionstar
02-06-2009, 9:43 PM
One thing to watch out for is.. water in the barrel. Other than that. just shoot in the rain.. I asked a related question (shooting + rain) couple days ago, got cool responses. search for "shooting in the rain"

What Just Happened?
02-06-2009, 9:44 PM
Make sure you get all the water out, you don't want any of it to rust your guns.

series8217
02-06-2009, 9:49 PM
One thing to watch out for is.. water in the barrel. Other than that. just shoot in the rain.. I asked a related question (shooting + rain) couple days ago, got cool responses. search for "shooting in the rain"

I did read your thread previously. Looking forward to the cool vapor trails :thumbsup:.

Make sure you get all the water out, you don't want any of it to rust your guns.

Will spraying subassemblies with, say, Remoil, be enough to displace water from metal surfaces, or should I be taking everything down to individual component parts and wiping them?

pullnshoot25
02-06-2009, 9:53 PM
Rain or shine, I'm spending all day Sunday at the range...
Anything in particular I should watch out for if its still raining while I'm out there? I've never shot in the rain before.

The only optics I am using is a Mueller APV scope on my 10/22. My AR-15 and 870 have iron sights.

What's the typical procedure for cleaning a firearm that got soaked? Complete disassembly?

Wipe off, clean and oil up everything and you're good to go. If you're soaking your gun in the mud/rain then you might have to disassemble and oil but meh on everything else.

SDgarrick
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
...but meh on everything else.

Hehe "meh on everything else"... I talk like that too:thumbsup:

pullnshoot25
02-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Hehe "meh on everything else"... I talk like that too:thumbsup:

That just made me laugh. YAY for similar linguistic patterns!

Trench Broom
02-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Keep your ammo cans covered! ( if you have any ) My buddies and I got caught in a cloudburst at Burro a number of years ago. We got everything packed into the cars as fast as possible ( it was raining golf balls ), but I still ended up having to drain my ammo cans of some water and wiping down the steel clips ( mosin nagant ) and other cartridges.

smokingloon
02-07-2009, 12:53 AM
Last time I went when it was raining, I was shooting my 1911 on the rifle side trying to hit the 200 yard steel targets.

montan
02-07-2009, 1:17 AM
Most important is to watch your step.

Dark&Good
02-07-2009, 1:51 AM
"Shooting in the rain - what to look out for?"

Look out for how you dress up... in wet clothes, you can lose body heat 5-10 times faster than in dry ones.

fusionstar
02-07-2009, 9:16 AM
i thought it was 40 times faster.?

hehe

11Z50
02-07-2009, 9:23 AM
I've done quite a bit of shooting in the rain ;)

Keep your muzzle down, avoid water in the bore. Wear gore-tex or something similar. Shoot away and have fun.

Can'thavenuthingood
02-07-2009, 9:42 AM
Everything is pretty well covered so far except for the 'rainage'. Its similiar to a strong wind blowing your round off target but this is rain beating your round down to the ground.

In a heavy cloudburst the bullet strikes the mud 50 feet in front of you. Only cure is rapid fire to create a tunnel effect for the next bullet so take lots of ammo.

Watch for ground down rounds:D

Vick

draconianruler
02-07-2009, 9:47 AM
Wear boots too b/c the range will probably get all muddy too :D

5150Marcelo
02-07-2009, 9:48 AM
Youll be fine. Post pics!

proudamerican831
02-07-2009, 9:49 AM
deleted

uxo2
02-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Muzzle down and level and no issues with water.
having it get wet will not hurt it.
Just oil when done

Enjoy the range to yourself.

jazman
02-07-2009, 10:12 AM
First, shoot a Glock. Many times. When you are done, wipe it off with your tee shirt and than throw the Glock back into your trunk. Next time you go to the range it will work perfectly as usual.

dwtt
02-07-2009, 8:58 PM
I once shot a match in the rain. I didn't know better then since I was a new competitor. The target will get soggy and fall apart unless you cover it up with a plastic bag. A transparent plastic bag works better than an opaque one since you can see the target through a transparent one. :)

Experimentalist
02-07-2009, 9:12 PM
I still smile whenever I hear someone ask "How do I do _____ in the rain?"

Having grown up in Portland Oregon you just become accustomed to the rain and dealing with it becomes just a normal part of living. An equivalent you find here in California is wearing sunglasses. I very rarely had a need up in Oregon, but down here you just do it.

If you're posting paper targets you'll need a staple gun. Tape doesn't stick in the wet.

Have fun!

fusionstar
02-07-2009, 10:34 PM
I once shot a match in the rain. I didn't know better then since I was a new competitor. The target will get soggy and fall apart unless you cover it up with a plastic bag. A transparent plastic bag works better than an opaque one since you can see the target through a transparent one. :)

Thats the best advice I've heard all week. haha

Franksremote
02-08-2009, 3:36 AM
Make sure everything is wiped off when finished and a light coat of RemOil or something similar is applied once you get home. It sucks to have to remove rust (even just surface) and it comes on a lot faster than you think.

bubbagump
02-08-2009, 8:42 AM
Careful where you step. Sinking 6 inches into thick mud while wearing Vans Slipons sucks.

sierratangofoxtrotunion
02-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Maybe blowing it out with compressed air afterwards, if you've got it.

mur
02-08-2009, 1:00 PM
First time I shot in the rain (at the range) I thought I would be the only one, man that place was packed,
I guess everyone else was thinking the same thing:(