PDA

View Full Version : UPS, FedEx, Other...to ship a pistol

eflatminor
02-06-2009, 8:28 PM
Need to ship a pistol from LA to the out-of-state manufacturer. Would anyone recommend one over the other?

freakshow10mm
02-06-2009, 8:32 PM
UPS Next Day Air Saver

Vectrexer
02-06-2009, 8:34 PM
FedEx worked for me. The final price after the shipping was actually completed came in less than I thought (on my FedEx account) as compared.

EVERY UPS shipment I have sent out on my account comes back with fuel surcharge estimates that turn out to be too low when the final tally is made. This results in UPS being more than FedEx in also every shipment I have done with UPS.

I still ship with both. But I consider the shipping estimation on the UPS site to be a lie, or at best misleading / inaccurate. This includes both non-account, and account holder estimation tools.

Luckily, I can ship UPS through work and get excellent rates. Ends up being the only time I use a UPS account-based shipping method.

SwissFluCase
02-06-2009, 9:09 PM
I use FedEx with all my shipping. UPS is just too hard to deal with. The customer service is terrible. FedEx is more, but I am willing to pay for quality, especially for something as important as a firearm.

Regards,

SwissFluCase

FCinCA
02-06-2009, 9:11 PM
If you have an FFL that you deal with, ask him what he would charge you to ship it for you. They can ship via USPS for CHEAP!

RHT447
02-07-2009, 12:39 AM
This is true. Cost for the small flat-rate box is $9.95. Registered mail is about the same. So, cost is about $20 to ship anywhere in U.S., plus what ever FFL charges for their time to box ship at post office.

Edit to add: Obviously this is a big saver for shipping handguns. For long guns, depending on weight and distance, it can be a toss-up between UPS, FedEx, and USPS.

norcal-ar
02-07-2009, 8:19 AM
interesting topic. i myself have to ship my pistol to glock only problem i have is it says glock in the mailing address and if i go to insure it and ship it through usps they make you fill out whats in the box and i dont think a fire arm will fly with them. what do you guys recommend?

Mssr. Eleganté
02-07-2009, 1:41 PM
interesting topic. i myself have to ship my pistol to glock only problem i have is it says glock in the mailing address and if i go to insure it and ship it through usps they make you fill out whats in the box and i dont think a fire arm will fly with them. what do you guys recommend?

You can't use USPS to ship a handgun. Only Licensed Dealers and Licensed Manufacturers can ship handguns through the mail, and only if they are shipping to another Licensed Dealer or Licensed Manufacturer.

If you ship it yourself you will have to ship it via UPS or FedEx and use one of their next day delivery options. I recommend that you don't put the word "Glock" in the address. Just put "Repair Dept." or something like that instead.

Rudolf the Red
02-07-2009, 2:10 PM
This is true. Cost for the small flat-rate box is $9.95. Registered mail is about the same. So, cost is about $20 to ship anywhere in U.S., plus what ever FFL charges for their time to box ship at post office.

No need to use Registered Mail. Insured is fine. I would charge $10 to do this for someone if they brought me the box. I hate paying $50 to ship a handgun. No more!

ke6guj
02-07-2009, 2:18 PM
interesting topic. i myself have to ship my pistol to glock only problem i have is it says glock in the mailing address ?

did glock say to put glock as the shipping address?

Many manufacturers will give you an abbriated name to ship to. For example, IIRC, Bushmaster has you label it as B.F.I. as in Bushmaster Firearms, Inc..

jazman
02-07-2009, 3:01 PM
Do not use USPS to ship a handgun unless you are an FFL. I use Fed Ex, have to go to a "hub" and send it overnight air. Tell them it is a handgun and insure it for the correct amount. Usually runs about $60.00 or so but I don't have to be concerned about it.