PDA

View Full Version : Register a family owned gun in my name

hitandmiss1988
02-06-2009, 7:31 PM
hi i was wondering how do i transfer a rifle from my fathers name to mine...he wasnts to give me a couple of his rifle and i want them in my name...where do i get the form to do this ?

AndrewMendez
02-06-2009, 7:33 PM
Go to your local gun shop with him, and it has to be DROSed, then they hold it for 10 days and all that bs.

DedEye
02-06-2009, 7:38 PM
Go to your local gun shop with him, and it has to be DROSed, then they hold it for 10 days and all that bs.

Do not take this advice, it is unnecessary for a father to son transfer.

Rifles are not registered in California, and assuming you are over 18 and can legally own firearms, and that the rifles in question are not assault weapons, there's nothing else you need to do to take possession and ownership of them.

The DOJ Intrafamilial transfer paperwork only applies to handguns, right? If it applies to long guns as well, then amend my above statement to say: "there's nothing else you need to do besides submit the DOJ forms."

Davo Frostbite
02-06-2009, 7:38 PM
Longarms are not registered unless they are of specific classes. Nonrestricted longarms can be transferred without paperwork between parent and child, within legality and specified limits.

rayra
02-06-2009, 7:53 PM

WRONG!

Intrafamilial transfers do not require this at all, for either handguns or longguns.
For handguns however, the recipient is required to have an HSC BEFORE taking possession and file the proper registration/DROS paperwork and fee with the state.

And hitandmiss, if you are taking ownership of longguns you do not have to report it to the state at all. And I for one wouldn't. The day will come when they attempt confiscation with that information and you'd be better served to have the trail end with your father.

gunboat
02-06-2009, 8:00 PM
Same with the handgun if it is not registered now ---don't ask, don't tell

AndrewMendez
02-06-2009, 8:02 PM
When did he say it was not registered at all? He wants to register it in his name!

DedEye
02-06-2009, 8:03 PM
Same with the handgun if it is not registered now ---don't ask, don't tell

Don't give information that could land someone in hot water.

DedEye
02-06-2009, 8:03 PM
hi i was wondering how do i transfer a rifle from my fathers name to mine...he wasnts to give me a couple of his rifle and i want them in my name...where do i get the form to do this ?

What kind of rifles are they? Are they registered assault weapons? If they are, they cannot be transferred to you, sorry.

AndrewMendez
02-06-2009, 8:04 PM
Don't give information that could land someone in hot water.

Its registered in his Dads name!

hitandmiss1988
02-06-2009, 8:04 PM
okay ya its just an m1 carbine and a 10/22...but lets say i wanted to sell the gun later on down the road...would i have a problem then? and also im only 20 but some of the handguns in my dads name are both our guns and i would like to have them in my name...do i have to wait until im 21 to do a transfer or can this be done now?

DedEye
02-06-2009, 8:05 PM
okay ya its just an m1 carbine and a 10/22...but lets say i wanted to sell the gun later on down the road...would i have a problem then? and also im only 20 but some of the handguns in my dads name are both our guns and i would like to have them in my name...do i have to wait until im 21 to do a transfer or can this be done now?

It's legal to just give them to you, no need to send in any paperwork. No problem selling them later either.

If your father wants to give you a handgun, that's legal as well but you have to fill out a form and send it into the DOJ.

Its registered in his Dads name!

He suggested playing "don't ask, don't tell" with an unregistered handgun. It's one thing if the gun wasn't registered in the first place and was owned prior to 1993 (or was it 1996? Someone refresh my memory please), but another thing entirely to transfer it to someone else and not fill out the necessary paperwork to keep things legal. Possession of an unregistered handgun can elevate a lot of wobbler offenses from misdemeanors to felonies.

hitandmiss1988
02-06-2009, 8:06 PM
where may i find this form i must send to the DOJ? gunstore or do i have to search the web?

Quiet
02-06-2009, 8:08 PM
In CA, long guns (rifles/shotguns) are not registered.

Your dad giving you the rifles by handing them to you with no paperwork involved, is 100% legal (unless you are prohibited from owning firearms).

If you want to register the rifles, you can. But, it's not neccessary.

Use the Firearm Ownership Record (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/volreg.pdf) in order to register them with CA DOJ. Send in the completed form and $19 per firearm to CA DOJ. About 4-12 weeks later, CA DOJ will send you back confirmation.

DedEye
02-06-2009, 8:09 PM
where may i find this form i must send to the DOJ? gunstore or do i have to search the web?

This form (http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf). Only required for handguns though.

Quiet
02-06-2009, 8:11 PM

Use the Report of Operation of Law or Intra-Familial Handgun Transaction (http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf) form for the handguns that your dad gives you.

hitandmiss1988
02-06-2009, 8:40 PM
okay great and just to be certian even tho im 20 i can have the handguns in my name no problem? and yes i already own my own rifles too so i dont have to worry about not being able to own a gun in california

DedEye
02-06-2009, 8:56 PM
okay great and just to be certian even tho im 20 i can have the handguns in my name no problem? and yes i already own my own rifles too so i dont have to worry about not being able to own a gun in california

No problem.

hitandmiss1988
02-06-2009, 10:10 PM
ahh great...this is why i love calguns...quick and easy answers! thanks to all for the input

Mssr. Eleganté
02-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Before you take possession of the handguns you will need to get a Handgun Safety Certificate.